• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stutto

Heater Resistor / Control Module

stutto

As above my heater seems to be less effective than it used to be. Little more than a 'dribble' comes out of the vents on anything but full power. :D

Is this normal or would a new resistor be £30 well spent?

Ahl

Have you tried a search on this? There should be lots of topics.

It could be down to the thermistor, which might need nothing more than a good clean up.

Or it could be due to the electric panel behind the fan speed knob.l

Or it could be the fan itself thats knackered.

If you can get a voltmeter, you should test the volts going into the fan first. If it is 13-14v with the engine running, you know that its getting full power and that it must be knackered. (Thats presuming that your alternator is putting out full voltage mind.)

stutto

I did a search, there are lots of matches but nothing (I felt) that exactly described what is happening.

Anyway, just tested the voltage going to the 2 pin on the fan - 13.66v. Nothing wrong with the resistor or the controls - I guess.

Where does the blower 'take' air from? ie what feeds it?

Richie-Van-GTi

it feeds direct from under the scuttle panel, take the scuttle off and you can see inside the blower assembly. Might be worth checking the fan isnt clogged up with leaves and twigs, mine did this and eventually smoke came out of the dash!! Now my reostat card thingy is stuffed up and Ive snapped a cable retainier on the controls.

scumbag

Mine is just a mystery. I think it may be totally knackered.

on the 5 pin plug behind switches, 1 (green and yellow) is obviously earth,2 appears to be some kind of switch, 3 (red) gives 12.8 v, 4 gives 1.8 volts and 5 gives maybe 0.9v. Any ideas if this is the correct voltages I should be getting? I also tried a wires direct from pos and neg batt terminals to the pins exposed when i pulled out the brown plug with red and yellow wiring but didnt spin up. With a voltmeter in this plug there was nothing!

any of this sound right / wrong or am I testing wrong?

cheers

stutto
it feeds direct from under the scuttle panel, take the scuttle off and you can see inside the blower assembly. Might be worth checking the fan isnt clogged up with leaves and twigs, mine did this and eventually smoke came out of the dash!! Now my reostat card thingy is stuffed up and Ive snapped a cable retainier on the controls.

Scuttle removal - just undo the wiper blades and the three torx fasteners?

I droppped the fan out on Sat, it was full of leaves.

Richie-Van-GTi

if you dropped the fan out then thats all you see through the scuttle anyway so no need to remove. If your fan is busted check my for sale thred <_<

stutto

I was thinking that there could be a blockage, I am imagining there is some kind of mesh between the scuttle and the blower?

Sign in to follow this