Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Heater Fan Overhaul

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

chris-gti

chris-gti
  • Drivers
  • 113 posts
  • Name:Chris

Mine's squealing its t1ts off so will be giving this a go, possibly tonight if i get enough done. 

Dukey

Dukey
  • Passengers
  • 20 posts
  • Name:Paul Browne

Sorry if this is a daft question but how did you get the top off and strip it down like that? Mine's already gone back to being a bit noisy so I'd quite like to strip it and slap some moly 60 grease in there.

Dukey

Dukey
  • Passengers
  • 20 posts
  • Name:Paul Browne

right then, was a bit of a daft question. I just chiseled it off. Hopefully this will do the trick. Stripping it down I cleaned both bearings with a bit of rolled up sand paper, the top one had a bit rustiness inside, gave the shaft another rub down (ooh er) at the previously inaccessible areas, and gave the contacts a good cleaning with contact cleaner and some kitchen roll.

Gave the necessary bits of the shaft a coating in Moly 60% paste (had it laying around after doing the valves on an nc30) so hopefully this time the blissfully quiet whurring will continue for more than a day and a bit :D

mowflow

mowflow
  • Drivers
  • 536 posts
  • Name:Paul
How the hell do you get the retaining clip off? Mine looks like it actually goes into the shaft and there is zero space to even get a small screwdriver between it and the plastic.

jesse390

jesse390
  • Drivers
  • 42 posts

just done mine superb post

RossD

RossD
  • Drivers
  • 1,482 posts
  • Name:Ross

Did this inside an hour last weekend, great guide.

My strip down differed slightly from the guide in that I removed the motor and fan complete from the base housing and then seperated the fan from the motor.

Arwing

Arwing
  • Drivers
  • 56 posts
  • Name:Matt
Garage View Garage

This is def on my to do list. My fan only runs on half. If i put it up to full it just cuts out. Thanks for the guide. Will give it a go next week.

AndyCrom

AndyCrom
  • Drivers
  • 122 posts
  • Name:Andrew Cromarty
If your fan is only running on half speed then chances are that your resistior is faulty, mine was playing up also but i just removed it from its case and resoldered the pins to the board and all was good again due to a loose connection.

Before you give it a go just try first setting the fan to full speed and wiggle the connector on the resistor module which is just to the side of the fan motor just in case you have a similar issue.

Good luck either way

bondyshambles

bondyshambles
  • Drivers+
  • 199 posts
  • Name:Mr B
Garage View Garage
Did this job today as mine was not giving out enough umph and it was making a noise when I turned right for some reason. It has made the world of difference. Getting the fan off the shaft was the most awkward bit. I would not have bothered to go down this route unless this thread was here due to my limited knowledge shall we say. An absolute top write up. Many thanks.