• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blandy

Clutch Recomendation

blandy

What is the "limit" to the mi16 clutch?

I'm building a 2.1 at present so aiming for around 230bhp and 180lbft kind of area. My car sees no road use as is purely a track toy. would the mi16 clutch be up to this still?

welshpug

my standard gti6 clutch seems to be coping fine on my 2.2

Tom Fenton

I run 210 ftlb torque through a standard Mi16 clutch, make sure the flywheel surface is flat, no issues.

xy8

I had problems recently with Mi16 clutch (LUK), but it´s my fault , messed up downshifting too many times.

Springs that hold pressure plate in place failed , at first there was vibration , clutch still worked , but then some loose part hit crank sensor and race was over.

Engine, mi16 head, iron block with dw12 crank , not sure about hp and torque.

Edited by xy8

dcc

96x86 race engine? Nice :) how does it rev?

xy8

96x86 race engine? Nice :) how does it rev?

96x87 revs like tractor.

petert

It's not the torque but RPM that kills Mi16/GTi6 clutches. All those little springs just want to jump out and the straps, whilst fine when driven and in tension, were never designed to go backwards on a big downshift.

blandy

That's my main concern. I've no doubt a mi16 clutch would be ok for road use etc but mine will be purely used for track work. I've not long fitted a brand new Valeo unit so maybe just have to try that as already bought and paid for etc but didn't know if it would be common practise to go for a updated unit

welshpug

if its still hydraulic tappets you wont be revving it too much past what the standard gti6 goes to.

xy8

To be honest it was not new pressure plate that failed , I used it couple of years on different engines .

It looked and worked ok when I bolted it to dw12 crank , but yes it was used part so that and lack of driving skill plus bigger engine destroyed it.

I installed another mi16 clutch , it´s valeo this time and try not to miss accelerator pedal on dowshifts.

blandy

Yes will still be in in hydraulics so not massive revs

Tom Fenton

I've used a standard MI16 clutch for trackdays for 8 odd years without a problem. Revving to 7200rpm. Personally I will use the most cost effective option until it causes me an issue and proves the need for something better.

dcc

As above, my mi16 clutch used to be fine at 7800 rpm without ever causing an issue

SweetBadger

Mi16 engine revved to 7800rpm, did about 15 track days, 40k miles and a whole race season on a standard MI clutch, no problems.

Gti6 race engine (lot more power 8000rpm), started killing mi clutches after about 20mins on circuit. I put this down to a combination of a solid rear engine mount, and an accelerator pedal height that made it very difficult to heel-toe (= the odd unavoidable big downshift).

I'd fit a standard MI clutch and see how you get on - try to be easy on the drivetrain on downshifts when on track.

See here if you want a clutch that will definitely do the trick and put up with race/track driving (not cheap though) http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=168781&hl=

Edited by SweetBadger

blandy

What power is your gti6?

Think I'll give the mi16 a try then just have to work on technique a little

SweetBadger

The graph is attached: 194 @ hubs, approx 220 flywheel

post-6007-0-97818600-1501310422_thumb.png

blandy

So similar to what I'm looking for then