• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

eastlondonpug

Idle Issues After Long Storage

eastlondonpug

Hi

My car has been taken out of storage after some time. I started it up and drove it around.

The issue is that the revs drop too much (to maybe 500 rpm) after driving and depressing the clutch in first gear or reverse to come to a stop. Then the revs drop to the low level for about a second or so then, then immediately the revs rise to 900rpm and hold it there (standard).It is almost like the car is gasping for air and about to stall. I stalled the car 2-3 times during my short drive.

Is this due to something blocked, does the AFM need cleaning or is this something else? The air filer is fine and the fuel is fresh.

Thanks

Leslie green

Mines been in storage 10 years and is much the same there is a procedure in the haynes for settling up the idle which has quite a few steps to it ,there is an air bypass on the top of the throttle body that might need a tweek to raise the idle a bit .Best to follow the haynes manual advice /checks I suspect there is still some mix of old fuel in there which won't be helping so thinks may improve a it's all used up .

eastlondonpug

I am leaning towards a dirty throttle body or a buggered ICV.

welshpug

they dont have an icv if its an 8v, itll be an SAD which is a much maligned simple device, all it does is close slowly when given a 12v supply.

eastlondonpug

Hello

Car is an mi16, not 8v. Will try fiddling about, any tips appreciated.

jackherer

Check the throttle switch is working properly.

eastlondonpug

Problem fixed! The ICV connection pin was apparently dirty/loose from an old oil spill. A quick squirt of wd40 and reinserting the connection did the trick.