• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bangerman

Electric Window Conundrum

bangerman

Hi help please.

Last weekend the passenger side window went down but won't now go up. I've checked it isn't the switch by using the switch to operate the drivers side window which works fine.

I've taken the door card off and found there is very little space to see what's going on or get your hands in. I have found two wires disconnected but I think they were at some stage connected to the passenger side switch that was removed and non-existent when I purchased the car.

Besides, if they were the culprit how would the window have gone down in the first place?

I'm guessing it's the motor since it's been getting slower and slower to operate the window but I would like to test it before going through all the rigmarole of removing it by attaching a direct feed from a spare battery. But i cannot find the connectors. Can anyone please tell me where they are and how I get to them with the motor in situ?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Dave.

bangerman

By the way. I forgot to mention it's an '88 F reg 1.6.

Ozymandis

Unplug the door shut harness plug and you can access every terminal connected to anything within the door.

Ryan

A 1988 model won't have the plug on the door pillar. They were only from 1991-ish onwards. The earlier models have the door loom threaded all the way through and plugging in up inside the dash.

If you've got a multimeter then unplug the motor and see if you get 12V to the plug when the windows switch is pressed.

bangerman

Hi Jay and Ryan for your posts. I managed to get it sorted last night.

In desperation I unbolted the motor and regulator, moved the window up out of the way and removed the motor and regulator assembly. I discovered there were no wires attached to the motor at all. This had me completely baffled as I had managed to wind the window down when it was last used a week or so ago.

Anyway, I reconnected the two wires and hey presto! It works! As I was putting it all back together and noticed how the wires naturally sat, the two wires to the motor were dangerously close to being snagged by the window glass as it came down. I believe that what happened was as I wound the window down, the wires snagged on the glass and pulled the connectors off the motor.

Reconnected all is well and I drilled a few small holes in the door to feed cable ties through to keep the wires well out of the way. I was on the verge of buying a new motor. Pleased I saved myself the expense.

Cheers

Dave.

• Like 2