• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sandy

[race_prep] Our Hillclimb/sprint 205

Sandy

Colin made a sleeve for the stick on the old car, quite simple really and the lockout meant he can add a lockout plate for 5th in the casing on events where it wasn't needed and work a 4 speed gate with careless abandon! This will be BE3/4 though.

Cameron

What diameter are your A-pillar supports? I don't know if it's just my eyes, but they look a little smaller than the rest of the cage.

EdCherry

Still retaining the original cable on it Sandy?

Its looking nice, just wish I had originally started with a similar base for my goodies, seems pointless going to far with just a bolt in cage these days.

Sandy

Yes they are smaller Cameron, deliberately so, but I don't know what diameter.

There won't be a lockout using BE3/4 or do you mean clutch cable? It's hydraulic clutch with concentric release cylinder.

Cameron

Good stuff, I was worried that the A-pillar supports had to be the mandated ROPS tube dimensions. If that isn't the case, great! :D

tdr_1976

Great build!

I love the dark interior finish.

Sandy

We're using a smaller flywheel, so the bellhousing needed to be extensively modified to relocate the starter motor. Dave TIG'd a billet into place and machined it back to the shape and holes required:

Jul1201.jpg

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 1

Lowercase

where did you source those wheel arches?!

Sandy

Had them waiting around for years now, it was Ebay I think.

scollay

well sandy,everytime i see this i am in awe at the quality of work that comes out of colins,yours,kevins and the rest of the teams efforts!the photos really dont do this car any justice!the insides are looking a lot better than the last time i saw it a few months ago,and it was outstanding then! I am definately looking forward to my next visit down,and will hopefully get to see it completed,and if i time my visit properly,see it in action and get to hear how awesome the motor you build is going to be!!if its anything like the ones ive experienced already,its going to be insane!!i think even my engine will pale into insignificance compared to this!

The best 205 to ever be built in the uk-not a shadow of a doubt!

• Like 2

wardy18

Fantastic build both of you, i really envy the ability to knock out this level of workmanship and makes me feel like mines just an entry level 205 compared to this now.

Great work so far, looking forward to seeing the rest!!

What class will this run in? I was under the impression that for Modified Production (or as its now called Modified Series Production as per Blue Book Section S-12) it was not allowed to make any extra holes other than for cable etc, as follows:

12.4.3. It is only permitted to make holes for the

passage of cables, fuel, water, oil, hydraulic, instrument

or fire extinguisher lines as per Vehicle Regulations. All

redundant holes must be covered with metal plates.

I was told once you are permitted behind the rear axle and in front of the front axle but i have never seen this in the blue book so if someone could show me this i would be most grateful.

Thanks and again great job

harryskid

Can't stop drooling here! :lol:

Sandy

You're referring to the wrong bit Simon, it's perfectly legal to alter the shell ouside the axle lines (within the silhouette). Who's side are you on?!!

rikky

that's stunning, awesome workmanship there

wracing

Its nice to read a concise project thread detailing a cars development, Its such a shame when its ruined by people pointlessly chipping in and gossiping. I don't personally know Sandy and Colin but I can understand the frustration when they are giving us the chance to see professional car preparation first hand and we collectively start arguing about something that really isn't relevant.

These guy's are professionals at the end of the day not just gifted amateurs.

Shut up, sit back and watch.

Mods please clear the topic up so we can see the wood from the trees

James

Edited by wracing
  • Like 5

Anthony

I think that James pretty much hit the nail on the head.

It's one thing to question, ask clarification or more information on something in a project thread, but as far as I'm concerned when there's borderline libellous accusations then that's overstepped the mark - especially when the original project posts that I for one (and I suspect the majority of the forum) find interesting are lost in amongst the noise. Some members I think would be better studying the blue book themselves rather than pointing accusatory fingers at those who quite clearly have done that.

Thread cleaned

(I'll split off the hidden posts into a separate discussion once I can work out how to split posts across multiple pages)

• Like 5

dale205mills

keep up the good work.

Edited by dale205mills

Baz

I think you'd best modify that post too then, you clearly didn't think about that very hard! :P

To be fair it probably is best now to split it up and delete the drivel that some felt the need to step in and contribute.

Apologies Sandy for my contribution into what i found an interesting discussion turning to sh!t, it' a shame the way that it went though. I hope you continue to add to this and don't find it too offputting, that was certainly never my intentions.

harryskid

Please carry on with this great thread Sandy and don't be put off by know it alls!

• Like 3

Sandy

Thanks for the positives :)

Work continues apace and while I've got some serious work to do on the engine, the car is nearly rolling now.

One of the little detail operations.... I was gifted a set of Cat cam pulleys by a friend of mine; I used to be a fan of them for their easy vernier adjustment, but it was when dyno'ing one of my builds with the belt cover off, I saw how much they wobbled! Various tests and discussions with Cat cams UK later and the problem remained, so faced with having to machine them or have a wobbly hub cap look on a £10k engine, I switched to Piper and never went back. Being given a set for your own engine however is a bit different and I figured the time it would take to true them up was well worth it.

First off I turned up a threaded mandrel in the lathe chuck to have an absolute true datum, complete with chamfers etc to ensure the pulley would sit on the face correctly. Testing these on the mandrel showed the same wobble was evident, so I removed the outer piece to turn the hub face true. The first 0.1mm pass shows how high one side is on the hub and to my surprise, also how concave it is, with the tip losing the cut well before the centre!

Jul1202.jpg

At 0.25mm from first contact, it's still not all the way across the face:

Jul1203.jpg

I continued until it was perfectly true across the face, which took an astonishing 0.5mm to achieve. It suggests a bit too much urgency in the manufacturing process, the original cut too fast/deep flexing the piece and pushing it off the tip. It should be fine now though and facing of the inner and outer faces of the outer piece, made it all run perfectly true. The turned finish won't take the weather as well, but it looks different and I'm happy with it now:

Jul1204.jpg

It's not fully built up yet and the wheels were on without tyres, but we were keen to see roughly what it will look like at ride height, for motivational purposes! You can get some idea from these pics, but seeing it in the flesh it's stunning, we're really pleased with it! The engine in the car is a mock up btw:

Jul1205.jpg

Jul1206.jpg

Jul1207.jpg

Edited by Sandy

Powers

Thanks for the update.

welshpug

a proper towing eye I see, I do hope he's not going to make use of it :P

Sandy

Industrial towing eye!

Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the incredible help with the plumbing!

dav1

When you selling this? :D

• Like 1

Batfink

roughly how much lower is the engine?

I'm on holiday not far from you so its tempting to pop in but I don't think the missus will let me lol