• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

[Engine_Work] Dobboy's Clean-Up / Gti6

dobboy

Last night I got the knock i could feel on my pedals sorted, my cam cover and timing belt cover need another little slice off it... i could see where it had been hitting/rubbing.... hopefully have enough off it now.

Fitted the strut brace i had refurb'd.

Also temporarily fitted one of my sideskirts to give me an idea of how it will look, probably not everybody's cup of tea but i like it. The skirts are in good nick and will be done in white.

post-23841-0-03487800-1397811657_thumb.jpg

Edited by dobboy

dobboy

Looks a bit like an Mk2 XR2?

post-23841-0-24343600-1397812192_thumb.jpg

dobboy

Also dug these out and will need to decide if these will be going on, if so on front or back.

Made by Pug strictly for the GTI Owners Club in the late 80's.

post-23841-0-70189800-1397813111_thumb.jpg

Edited by dobboy

Bogsye

Bogsye, it seems to be. Will be glad when it's finito!

BTW, have you seen the thread for the scottish members run? think it's the the events/track days section, planned for late May/June (or whenever more than one car is on the road! lol)

Yep, thanks - I thought the tour of members garages would be good. Just finishing a house extension, so back onto the 205 in earnest I hope.

Cheers,

Brian

dobboy

Brian, you wouldn't have wanted to be in my garage a few weeks ago! Never again!

dobboy

Trial of a painted arch to see how the paint color is

post-23841-0-03853000-1398069997_thumb.jpg

Malc

Get that side skirts binned, seriously after all the work you have done in making the motor look good, don't do it!!! Sorry just my opinion.

Daviewonder

I'd like to see what the skirts look like when the black trim is fitted.

cybernck

They actually won't look bad, as they have been designed specifically for a 205:

post-4-0-72367000-1398531232_thumb.jpg

harryskid

Looks fine! :)

dobboy

Get that side skirts binned, seriously after all the work you have done in making the motor look good, don't do it!!! Sorry just my opinion.

I like them Malc, they are period and in good nick. I saw the car they came off and although the front was mangled it looked good to me.

Just need to be careful pulling into the side of the road.

They will be painted off the car when the cars getting painted, and I can decide to put them on or not if i still look how they look sat on.

dobboy

They actually won't look bad, as they have been designed specifically for a 205:

205sideskirts.jpg

Yeah I like that. Have you got any pics from any other angles?

Malc

Hey each to there own, just a personal thing I'm just not a fan of stick on body kit parts in general. They look good for hiding rotten sills though, Maybe need a set myself!!

dobboy

Had to have a week off the car to organise a big birthday party for my GF, but now on the car again when i have any free time.

Still not sorted this exhaust issue out, but had a guy round for a goosy at it to see if he can help me out.

The problem is, because my engine/manifold/downpipe was in a 205 that seems it might have been tilted, the horizontal part of the down pipe is too close to my gear linkage, it seems to rise as it heads to back of car. It isn't touching anything but i'd rather have a 20-30mm gap.

So the guy reckons he could fit a jack under the cast bit of exhaust and give the pipe a good roasting and pull it down, and wedge a big lump of wood in between exhaust and floor. He thinks it should settle ok and give me the clearance i want. This however will have an impact on the middle section, which might require the hanger being moved, which is easy enough although the middle section is stainless. I also got some measurements from "happypatrol" of his exhause as it leaves the car, as i need to know that my tailpipe/backbox won't foul my rear valance when it eventually gets fitted.

Hoping the exhaust is done and dusted on Saturday, and i'm waiting on a new lambda coming to fit that also, as i feel the rev's hang slightly when you take the foot off the gas. I changed ICV previously and it was much the same.

The painter who gave me my first quote for the car (£1700) came last night and confirmed his price and advised what i could do to keep the price the same etc. It might seem a lot of money (i've other quotes for £700-800), but the guy is good, has done a few classics, has a good set-up with oven etc, is ex-jaguar/range-rover repair centre, and although there isn't a great deal of repair work for him to do, i'll be getting all the plastics done (in the colour that pug brought out in cans for the rear quarter badges), and he'll be repairing and painting my sideskirts. Car will be getting flattened and polished etc too. He also seems quite keen to do it, saying he'd rather be doing my car than fixing a scratch on a micra etc.

Need to step up the ante this week and get sunroof, back windows, door seals, seats, carpet, skoosher nozzles etc etc out and give him the car as bare as i can.

Intend to get my drivers seat refurb'd and my carpet cleaned whilst the cars away.

dobboy

Had a full 10hrs undisturbed at the car yesterday, and had organised the exhaust guy.

So went and collected him and his bottles and we set about it, and he gave me the two back valance brackets i had asked him to make me, powder coated in black.

Firstly set up a jack under the cast part of the 16V downpipe so that the manifold would be undisturbed. He roasted the bit of pipe where the cat would normally sit, the cat has been replaced with a section of stainless on mine, but after a few attempts it wasn't bending at all, and just bounced back.

So we moved on to the middle section, and removed it and the front section that we had been previously been working on dropped. It looked like the middle section had been pulling the front section up. He adjusted the hanger and all looked well, then we moved on to back box.

I had been sent a few pictures of where the tailpipe should sit when the valance was fitted, and it looked like my middle section needed an inch off it to stop iback box fouling the valance, and also a kick put on tail pipe. So cut middle section and the guy took it to a freind and got it Mig'd.

Fitted it all, roasted the tail pipe and bent it slightly, and it looks like all is ok, and it sounds great. My exhaust consists of a GTI6 de-cat down pipe, and 2.25" stainless centre section with a cherry box/through box thing, on to a Ph2 back box.

My new Lambda hasn't arrived yet, so couldn't fit it, hopefully be able to fit it this week whilst car is still on stands.

So then started setting about stipping it for the painter. I want to get my carpet scrubbed when the car's away, and also need to see what can be done with my drivers seat. So, off with door handles, badges, out with the sunroof, all the seats, centre console, carpet etc...... and as i'm getting boot floor painted and because i want to either renew or paint the trims that go over the inside of back arches, i just decided to stip the lot of the interior out, hopefully making life easier for the painter.

Found a couple of things when stripping.

1. Rear quarter badges should be removed in future from the inside of car by removing trim.

2. One of my seat mounts is goosed, so i'll need to get a little bit of metal work made to house a captive nut and rivet/bolt it in to allow seat to be fixed correctly.

3. a bit of rust the size of a 10p, right above petrol tank...grrrrrrrr.....this will need to wait. I'll fire some KuRust on it in the meantime.

4. The previous owner had pushed the boot light wires into quarter panel, but never bothered to put tape over them..... i accidently popped the fuse before i noticed, but this could have been a right fecker to fault find in the future....... as the fuse that popped stopped my car starting!

5. Found loads of pine needles under the carpet at the back...... strange

6. missing a handfull of very small plugs/clips from NS floor.

Overall the floor is in great condition.

Everything removed is bagged and tagged and boxed, and i'll get the GF to set about cleaning it .....aye right!

Only got the back NS light, door locks, and the two wing indicators to remove and it's ready to go on a trailer.

post-23841-0-76097000-1399789585_thumb.jpg

The glass seals can be pulled into the car when it's into paint shop.

post-23841-0-09412900-1399789782_thumb.jpg

post-23841-0-03604300-1399789629_thumb.jpg

post-23841-0-57048600-1399789689_thumb.jpg

Hoping it's as easy to put together as it is to dismantle.

Edited by dobboy

Malc

Can't wait to see this when finished, a lot of work (and money) went into it, always loved a white GTI, thinking I might start another project, just need to find a good base model shell.

dobboy

Can't wait to see this when finished, a lot of work (and money) went into it, always loved a white GTI, thinking I might start another project, just need to find a good base model shell.

I'll be glad when it's finished too Malc.

I'm hoping i can look back and think well at least i did something productive with time that would have otherwise have been spent on the couch through the winter or enjoying myself!

The car's never had a decent run on the road but i can't see there being any major issues/problems, but will join the AA just in case!

My next project's a log burner in my living room, apparently if you can change an engine it is expected that you can do anything!..... lay slabs, bricklay etc etc, but i mustn't grumble, the GF's tolerated this well...... so far!

Edited by dobboy

dobboy

Spent a few hrs last night organising everything that's came off the car as there are quite a few bags and boxes etc, so that i'm not hunting for stuff when i need it.

From the interior that was in the car, and stuff i've gathered from scrappies, i have a complete unbroken interior, although still searching for a good drivers seat.

Also found these whilst gathering my bumper stuff. This was done at the first powder coaters i used. Nice finish on it, but the back of the front towing eye bracket could have been prep'd better, and they should have removed and bunged the hole for the bolts..... need to remember to run a tap through all the threads to avoid sheering anything.

post-23841-0-78477100-1399889269_thumb.jpg

New lambda arrived this morning so hopefully fit that tonight.

Pt No. Bosch 0258003717, the flying lead looks distinctly shorter (c. 400mm) than what's on the car at the moment.

Spoke to local garage this morn who have a transit car transporter thing, and also painter, and hoping car can be dropped off thursday night, failing that it will be early next week.

dobboy

Fitted lambda tonight.

Rev's seem to fall quicker to idle when it's been rev'd hard, but still have this slight momentary bounce from idle to about 1.3k, but I think I can live with it.

Might just be my imagination but the engine seems to sound smoother, maybe even more responsive..... If that's even possible.

Also took off the heat shield I had made to cover the matrix pipes, but feel there is just too much heat in there for normal rubber pipes (i've used the 16v ones). Contemplating either doing away with heater, or doing these pipes again in copper or steel, which would be quite easy.

Got the few remaining bits off and the car can now go anytime.

GLPoomobile

Contemplating either doing away with heater,

In Scotland? Are you only planning on using it for 2 months of the year then? :blink:

welshpug

As many as that? :lol:

Not had any issues with a 4 branch and my samco hoses, nor has a friend running bbm hoses and a gti6 engine, or even a v6 on modified 205 hoses.

Edited by welshpug

dobboy

In Scotland? Are you only planning on using it for 2 months of the year then? :blink:

I'll be alright in my onezy lol

dobboy

As many as that? :lol:

Not had any issues with a 4 branch and my samco hoses, nor has a friend running bbm hoses and a gti6 engine, or even a v6 on modified 205 hoses.

I've had another look, I think I only have 20mm max between one of the manifold pipes and one of the matrix pipes.

Even with the car sitting ticking over with bonnet open heat soon builts up.

I'm fairly positive a standard rubber pipe is made of EPDM, and found this to compare heat resistances of silicon and normal pipe.

http://www.hydroscand.co.uk/products/industrial_hoses

A fair difference.

Maybe see if Malc will let me fit my "Malaga" thermometer on his next time he's on the circuit to see what sort of temperatures are involved in that area of the bay.

I ain't paying 60 quid for two bits of silicon pipe if I can avoid it.

welshpug

if youre really that worried I'd try and make a 306 or xsara heatshield fit from an XU10J4RS engined vehicle.

dobboy

if youre really that worried I'd try and make a 306 or xsara heatshield fit from an XU10J4RS engined vehicle.

It's the worry of getting stranded somewhere lol.

I had made and fitted a heat shield from a bit of heat shielding taken off a big van, but removed it last night. I had it jointed on to the 205 one.

I know the heat shield your on about, not sure I would be able to get a drill in to be able to get a couple of fixings/rivets on the bottom of it onto the bulkhead.

Think I'll re-fit the one i made for the time being, whilst i see what I can do to use metal pipe. The interior is out the car so I can even crop the matrix pipes and come right in and join in the car if need be to keep it tidy.

I had intended to get manifold ceramic painted, but went off in a tangent when I got everything fitting.