• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Garry

[engine_work] 205 Gti 6 Supercharged

Garry

I enjoy reading the numerous project threads so I thought it is time to start my own.

I am currently supercharging my Gti 6 engined 205, I have run the mainly standard 6 lump for about 4 years now and decided I wanted a bit more oomph!

The car used to produce 187bhp and 137lb/ft as tested at PTS in Luton (which admittedly seems a little optimistic) but I will get a post conversion test there for consistency. My best SQM was 14.7 with a 96mph terminal.

I have bought the Kit from a guy called Richard Walker who has designed and developed the kit for his own 306, which is currently running over 400bhp and 280lb/ft at 14PSI of boost.

I have opted for a low boost version (7PSI) which has been proven to produce 260bhp and 218lb/ft, which I think you will agree will be plenty for a stripped out 205! Although there is always potential for a little more boost…..

So, first things first I decided to clear out the garage and paint the floor white (I used the remains of an old tin of Dulux!) but it has turned out alright so far.

140208113.jpg

140208114.jpg

I bought a Forge intercooler and Swirl pot from the autosport show in January for a considerable saving over the rrp:

150308001.jpg

150308003.jpg

and a couple of weeks ago I received the heart of the conversion, as Rotrex C30-94 supercharger:

150308006.jpg

This is what the car looked like Pre op:

140208125.jpg

I made my own lifting frame from some scaffold borrowed from work, same design as a garden swing I used to have when I was little but much bigger!

150308012.jpg

Engine and box on the way out, this is the first time I have removed or even seen an engine be removed, it took me all weekend! I was also surprised at the angle it had to go at in order for the gearbox to clear the wing too.

150308025.jpg

The engine and Box were then taken down to Miles Horne of Pug racing for a gearbox rebuild, as I broke it at Spa last year (it kept popping out of gear, which made Eau Rouge a little more exciting!) and to have the belts and water pump changed.

Garry

This is what my trusty fiesta looked like with an additional engine, two gearboxes and a pair of trailing arms in the boot. It has made me question the logic of twin engined conversions, so much extra weight!

150308027.jpg

Last weekend I jet washed the engine bay ready for taking to the body shop for re painting, I uncovered some pretty nasty rot on the near side wing, which will need replacing

Pre Wash

150308029.jpg

Post wash

150308035.jpg

Rotten wing, I was actually able to push a screwdriver through it!

150308034.jpg

I have also mounted the supercharger bracket and supercharger to the block

150308036.jpg

I am currently waiting for the new inner wing from Peugeot and then it can hopefully go to the body shop next weekend.

Target completion is the 10th of May when I am heading over to the Nurburgring for Sunday TF and then a track day at Spa on the Monday.

Will keep you posted as work progresses.

Garry

Miles

Glad you got the engine out the boot OK!!, Look foward to seeing it done

Garry

It was quite interesting actually, I made a see-saw out of the scaffold and lifted the engine whilst it was in the boot, I then got the wife to drive forwards, removing the engine. The only trouble was that it was quite hard lowering it without the scaffold slipping forwards, got there in the end though.

DrSarty

Good thread and nice project our Gazza. Was nice to meet you at our last curry bash as well. Keep it up eh.

Rich :blush:

dean

have you got any closer to finishing yet

Garry

Progress has been quiet of late due to waiting for a new inner wing to be imported from France:

New panel

130408001.jpg

And then on to the body shop for engine bay painting.I collected the car on Saturday, I am pretty pleased with the results, nice and clean:

From this:

130408003.jpg

To this:

130408008.jpg

130408006.jpg

130408012.jpg

Saturday morning me and my brother rebuilt my scaffold lifting frame and collected the car, he kindly towed me back from the bodyshop. it was only 2 miles along country lanes, but I always find it unnerving knowing I have little control and no brakes!

130408010.jpg

Engine going in. Is that safe?

130408017.jpg

I bought and fitted new spark plugs, these are R8 rated which are colder than the standard R6 plugs:

130408022.jpg

I also fitted my new 440cc Injectors:

130408023.jpg

Edited by Garry

Garry

You may have seen previously that the inlet manifold was too long, thankfully Richard Walker took it back and shortened the inlet tracts by 30mm and now it fits!

130408027.jpg

Engine installed and 205 TD radiator mounted, although I will not be able to use this rad as I need to change the charger outlet rotation. In its current configuration the bonnet, yet again, will not close!

130408025.jpg

This is my intended Intercooler setup, although the charger has now been rotated one notch so the outlet is lower down. To solve this I intend to get radtec rad which is designed for running bodies/ carbs, therefore lower.

130408028.jpg

Super Josh

Oooh that's coming along nicely Gary :D The intercooler and pipework look nice and neat too.

Josh

dean

how much did you drop the rad in the end

Garry

The current set up doesn't work Dean, I need a Radtec radiator, as i have rotated the charger downwards. It doesn't look like the photos anymore. Same principle, but the Rad is too high.

Have a look in the group buys and you will see what I mean.

dean

ok why didnt it work like it is can you not just lower your standard rad

Garry

You may have noticed on the last picture the charger outlet pipe was sticking up quite alot and subsequently the bonnet wouldn't close. To solve this I have rotated the charger outlet, but this meant that it clashed with the New TD radiator :angry.

So to solve the problem and spend even more money on the project I bought another radiator from Radtec (Via Daz C's group buy, thanks mate). This has been designed to suit 205's running carbs or bodies and is about 75mm shorter than the standard one but has a 60mm core so its twice as thick.

190408010.jpg

The quality is excellent and it fits perfectly. Anyway, must get back in the garage and solve the next problem!

easypug

Keep up the good work matey, I'll have to come have a butchers once your done. I'm slowly still getting bits together for mine...

Daz_C

Glad to see its done the job Garry :)

Keep battling on mate. Its looking good.

Garry

Another weekend spent tinkering with the car. My lower back is killing me! :D

I fitted the power steering pump brackets on Saturday, I needed some bushes which I got from Peugeot in order to fit them. The design of the kit requires the pump to be relocated down by the sump where the A/C pump normally sits (on the GTI6).

I don’t run power steering on the 205, but the route of the supercharger drive belt requires the pulley, I had tried getting around it but the bolts that hold the supercharger brackets in place fouled my non pas route.

190408006.jpg

190408004.jpg

I had considered running a PAS pump dry and unconnected, but I am not sure if the fluid acts as a lube and helps cooling. So instead, Rich Walker has offered to make a Dummy PAS pump with a pulley which would solve the potential problem.

Rich had planned to make the dummy pump circular but it would have fouled the radiator, so now it will have a slice taken off like this:

190408009.jpg

I have had to change the lower valence too, I had planned to run the original, to keep it looking stealthy , but there isn’t room for the intercooler and the new rad. So now the cooler will be on full display hanging out of the front, very Fast and the Furious I know, but this way the rad and the intercooler will get plenty of air.

I plan to fit the engine oil cooler and Supercharger fluid cooler behind the two circular cut outs (originally for spot lamps), I added another couple for good measure too! I also managed to round off the thread whilst trying to fit one of the outlet fittings to the charger cooler, more money to spend! :D

200408010.jpg

I have also made a plate to mount the swirl pot and external fuel pump, I have cut through the bulkhead to allow the ECU to be placed in the passenger foot well. I am pretty pleased with the results:

200408007.jpg

200408008.jpg

200408009.jpg

welshpug

just a suggestion garry but could the charger etc be mounted with countersunk bolts to allow a different belt routing?

Garry

How do you mean? To space it out a bit? If so, no.

The belt needs to line up with the crank and alternator pullies. Its really annoying, the head of the bolt that holds the charger bracket sticks out a bit, which stops my short cut.......... hang on, I think I know what you mean!

I suppose you could do, but there wouldn't be much plate left if you did counter sink. Its too late for me, to fit the bolts into the bracket you need to remove the engine as there isn't enough clearance between the wheel arch and the bracket. I don't think Rich can reinforce from behind as that would push the bracket out again.

Thanks for your input. :D

tidypug

Good to see you making progress with this.

If i was to use a thin rad would there be room to run pas as i want to retain mine if possible.

smighall

Liking the swirl pot setup, given me a few more ideas for mine now :D

Garry

If i was to use a thin rad would there be room to run pas as i want to retain mine if possible.

I think so, yes. Although I havent tried a real PAS pump!

If it was close, you could always move the rad forward a bit.

tom_m

switch to ePAS using a 106/saxo pump, that way you get to keep the PAS but aren't tied to keeping the pump on the sump.

base-1
now the cooler will be on full display hanging out of the front, very Fast and the Furious I know, but this way the rad and the intercooler will get plenty of air.

If you want to tone down the barry aspect, paint the cooler black for maximum stealthyness ;)

Garry

I like that idea, any suggestions on the type of paint to use?

James_R

matt stove paint, matt finish transfers heat better, black does too.