• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

pip470

[Engine_Work] N/a Fwd Drag Pug Project

Arahan

Awesome car, proper weapon!

What came in at quickest n/a on the day mate?

Edited by Arahan

peter

Thats fantastic, glad to see a 205 at the top of a league!! Its just a shame a nova is that little bit quicker, It would be nice to see a 205 be the fastest in class.

Did you ever get the car dyno'd? would be nice to see some figures as the fantastic time isnt just down to the power but the setup and driver!

Can we have a whip round so he can make it faster than the nova???

pip470

Sorry, Hadnt relised there were any posts in this thread. On the day Arhon the nova was the quickest with 12.5, however i think the European record has just been beat by Alvin again in his civic with a 11.2, also USC winner was another peugeot 205 with 12.4. That was a pug 1 off car. I kind of wish they were on here because there cars are always well turned out and very quick.

The bar just keeps going higher and higher. lol.

Peter, thanks very much for your kind words, the car made 230hp @7500 on the rolling road but i still need more. There is an engine I have been collecting bits for over the last year that may make its way into the car just after christmas.

Just to point out too this car is still my daily driver, albeit not a very practicle one, I have just compleated a 2200 mile round trip through france to spain (Zaragoza) where have been working, loaded the car with all my belongings (push bike, clothes, books basicly filled the car) and then got the ferry home from santander. I averaged 24 miles per smiles and had to fill up every 200 miles. The trip was awesome, i would however have windows that wind down next time as one sunroof and 40oc heat was a killer. I renamed the car "sweat box". I will update with engine progress when something happens and will also be looking to sell this engine when the time is ready. Next race day will be flame and thunder, if any pugnuts want to meet up then let me know. Passenger rides down the strip can be arranged.

Financial help would be great though forum hehe.

peter

11.2 is seriously fast, but at least its not a vauxhall.

My friend was at USC in a supercharged fiesta thats 217hp but only ran a 14 second 1/4 apparently there was a 25mph head wind? it was quicker than m3s and a m5 on the day though.

Also what was the reason for the current spec, why the combinaion of those parts? more capacity,compression?

Sorry for the questions but i NEED to make mine faster!

what spec do you have planned or is that top secret for next year?

Edited by peter

pip470

Also what was the reason for the current spec, why the combinaion of those parts? more capacity,compression?

The reason for this spec was clear from the beginning, this engine needed to be drivable on the road, in France i was pulling out of tight hairpins in 3rd gear around 1500-2000 rpm and it will pull to the limiter with no sputters or drama as the cams are not crazy. It really is a very mild engine. It was also a mix of standard parts to keep the cost relatively low. Theres no fancy parts in this engine, no porting polishing, just a good mix of parts. The cams have been reground to a secret duration but the lift is 11.7 on both ex and in and to allow us to run the rpm a little safer we used solid lifters. I rev this to 7750 and max power is 7500. Compression ratio is 11.7. We got this by fitting the 88mm crank and skimming the head. I think i have written the full spec of this engine previously.

Next engine. Lots of secrets but big capacity, maybe 2.4. This is to try and keep some torque mid range with the goal of 300bhp. With the 2044cc i have now it is possible, but the engine will be very cammy and have such a narrow power band. This wont be nice on the road or very forgiving on the strip. Launching on a power band that starts at say 7000rpm is what i would call difficult. I'm also switching from carbs to throttle bodies. But dont read too much into that, its purely for better mid range throttle economy and for other features such as launch control maybe. I love carbs, If this was purely a race car at wide open throttle i wouldnt change but with the price of fuel, to me it makes sense.

For the next engine that is all I will say for now. I also have alot of plans such as a light weight cage, and a few body modifications and maybe even a new set of drag wheels and slicks. But as they say little by little.

I really wished i was at USC, as much as it is full of chavs i really enjoy the show.So many women cars and so much going on. My next years plan, now i can see the end of the spanish job, is to visit all the big events at the pod such as retro, fast show, usc, classic ford (i have ford wierdo mates lol) and flame and thunder. So im sure we will bump into each other. Did you not do a turbo engine though???? Or is that another Peter? Cheers Phill

peter

Firstly thanks for the detailed reply!

I read the selection of bits you used, just standard parts wich i like alot as most builds are frorged this brand name the other and cost a fortune.

So the only real expence to the engine would be the solid lifters and the cams. What solid lifters did you use?

I have had two 2.0 8v turbos over the years and they are serioulsy quick, but only to 130 so got sold to turbo my m3 but the build is taking ages so in the mean time ive ended up getting hold of what i was told was a 2088cc mi16 with 88mm crank 'stage 4 hiflo head' forged high compression pistons (86.5mm) mild cams (i need to check these both) and s16 rods. I got it cheap as it didnt work but im hoping that it was just down to the bike carbs and dizzy not being set up ironically they were stolen along with the tubualr manifold.

So a pretty similar setup to yours at a gess so hopefully would make similar power with the right exhaust an carbs.

I never went to USC as i didnt have anything worth taking up the strip at the time. Hopefully will have the 205 ready for the next one though if i can get it setup properly as without knowing the cam spec its not easy but at least with the proof that yours works im much happier.

So you'll be selling those carbs then? :D

sorry for the bit of a hijack but i thought it would be rude not to reply fully as you took the time to explain.

pip470

Sorry to hear about the parts being stolen. I used to run bike carbs and although they worked in a fashion i hated them. They might of done you a favor. Sounds like a nice package though.

Im going to be selling the carbs with the full engine as a complete set up I think. That way the person who buys it can see how it all works, then they can have the lot to put straight in their pug. Even down to the modified pick up in the fuel tank. It will make a nice package for someone.

Just cant wait to start.

peter

I agree about the carbs, i think that was the main problem with the setup.

No problem about the carbs, ill be looking out for a decent second hand pair and lessons how to set them up!

Im gessing you would want serious money for your proven setup?

pip470

Long overdue update. I have been back in the UK since October but working 12 hr shifts to get the mill up and running. Now with all that behind me i have been working on the car like crazy. The changes are going to massive.

First up is the engine which is well on the way. Ive gone for the 92mm stroke crank, forged rods, 88mm wosner pistons to give around 13 to 1 compression ratio. The head is going to be sent of to be ported this week. Cams, throttle bodies and management have yet to be purchased.

The shell, the biggest changes are going to be a cage made from t45 and some adjustable front suspension made more for the drag strip. The front end also has fibreglass dimma front arches and the front bumper which im modifying to be completely smooth on the front with a re moveable panel for when its driven on the road. Stew from baker bm has made me a shortened radiator with an oil cooler added as my last engine oil temps got quite hot whilst driving round Spain. The radiator is stunning but more importantly should keep my temps good on the road.

I also bought some M&H slicks, wide for the front and skinny for the rear but have no wheels to mount them on yet. Im looking around at all the options such as using honda ones and modiyfying the hubs or having a set of wheels made. I can always run on last years wheels as money is getting tight again and theres still a mountain of work to do on the car.

Just to keep everyone updated with my goal. I am trying to build a street legal front wheel drive normal aspirated monster. Eventually going for the european record.

Heres some pics.....

pip470

Pics.....

post-8104-0-89435500-1331318599_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-81521000-1331318680_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-33512400-1331318965_thumb.jpg

davepug205

Looking good matey :) The last one felt very quick, this is goin to be insane :D

keep us updated.

Give me a shout next time your up.

:)

pip470

Ok, went to get fitted into my seat whilst the cage is being fitted, Im looking forward to the car coming back as i have missed it. When it does come back i can start getting some paint on the inside and engine bay.

The engines bottom end is now built so im on with the head but progress has been a little slower than liked as ive bought another project car. I got rid of the drag car as it just wasnt going anywhere with its rotten shell so felt like i needed something else. Heres the pics.

post-8104-0-50672600-1337361376_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-01442800-1337361441_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-55118900-1337361549_thumb.jpg

pip470

Cage now finished ane sprayed the inside yesterday. Really pleased with the results. I found it very difficult to get into all the nooks and crannys and there are bits ive missed on closer inspection but still very happy with it. Im just plodding on little by little.

Also made a switch panel for when the time comes to do the dreaded wiring. I want to have this flocked along with the dash. should look good against the white. I need to move onto the engine bay now. so will upload the pics when i make more progress.

post-8104-0-65236800-1339432913_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-05108000-1339433135_thumb.jpg

pip470

What an effort it was to get the car on a spit, the front was easy, i just mounted it straight to the bumper mounts. The rear was a lot more difficult, i have mounted it to the rear scuttle panel and added some extra bracing as this metal is just too thin to be taking the weight. I wasnt going to do anything underneath but where the seat mounts and cage have been added it had burnt through the under seal so if im going to do a good job on the car it needs to be done right. I hate car preparation. Heres the pics.

post-8104-0-75493300-1342553664_thumb.jpg

pip470

Update time. I have stripped all the underseal off as best i could without wanting to send myself insane. Sprayed the engine bay white and started fitting a few things. I have the outside of the shell to paint next. Then i can really start on getting everything clean and painted and bolting it all on. Engine work has all but stopped due to us saving all our money to buy the house but im aiming for July to run this car again. Still lots to do though, heres a couple of pics.

post-8104-0-77721600-1350108007_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-43819700-1350108030_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

pip470

Well i spent this week Spraying the outside of the shell and its a disaster. Never had this problem before but its full of pinholes, Bought a new cheap gun which i wasnt happy with the amount of fluid leaving the gun so i was possibly a bit close or it could be water in the air. I had the heater on in the garage this time so its possible water had condensated in my compressor. Thats a full week wasted. Need a little bit of time away from it.

stu8v

Gutted for you,

Its too damp this time of year to spray in the garage IMHO.

I've had the same all you can do is give it time and start again.

R5-al

So annoying when something like this happens! Looking good aswell

pip470

Ok, had a long hard think about the paint. I can live with it, and because its my car and i want to get it racing again so it will have to do. After a season i could always get it resprayed again by a professional. But i cant face having another year not racing.

So seats are in and the rear beam is back on so I could return the rotisserie to the owner. I also put the back windows in. There only little jobs but after the last few hickups, not just with this car but with my turbo 309 and my GF's freelander problems i feel like im making progress again. Heres some pics.

post-8104-0-86286500-1354816542_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-38858800-1354816554_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-11469800-1354816579_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

pip470

Small bit of progress with some shineys. Not much to say about it though so ill just show the pics. Suspension will be set up when the car is finished.

post-8104-0-47442400-1357319202_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-33024100-1357319224_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

pip470

I have been slowly progressing with the engine build. The head is back from cnc heads who hand ported it as they dont have a program for cnc. I also have bought slightly bigger valves.

Next i need cams, springs and solid lifters and verniers. When will the spending end??

Then for the engine to go on the engine dyno i need some throttle bodies.

Heres some pics.

New valves on the left and old on the right.

post-8104-0-33840300-1370374939_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-73397200-1370375025_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-54993800-1370375050_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-08875500-1370375067_thumb.jpg

Edited by pip470

pip470

So much work still left to do. it seems never ending. All the jobs are tied in with other jobs and sometimes i feel like i can never finish anything. Well my new unit has been a godsend as im spending so much more time there. I now have throttle boddies cams ect to finish the head.

The front end is nearly all bolted together, I still want to finish the new scoop ive started making. For the end product i want the insert for the scoop to be made from carbonfiber that slots in and can be removed with quick release fastners.

The fuel system uses the standard pump in the fuel tank to feed through a 100 micron fuel filter to the engine bay swirl pot, which will feed a bosch pump which then feeds through a 10 micron fuel filter to the boddies then returns to the swirl pot after the regulator. The swirl pot also has a return from the top back to the fuel tank.

Ive ordered 3 drums of q16 to run the engine on the dyno and should have enough for the first race day however im strugling to get it. Apparently the shipment has gone to Isreal from america instead of this country. Becoming a bit of a headache but I cant find it from anyone else other than trackstuff.

Heres some pics.

post-8104-0-59096300-1387493912.jpg

post-8104-0-66122300-1387493921_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-62553700-1387493937.jpg

post-8104-0-14706800-1387493948_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-83963900-1387493956.jpg

post-8104-0-18327600-1387493967.jpg

pip470

http://vimeo.com/m/92460645

Video of the progression of the bumper. Only took around 3 years. Next is to make a mold and make it in 1 piece of carbon fiber which I have never done. The engine is waiting to be dyno ed soon so watch this space.

pip470

over a year since i last updated, wow.

well the bottom end is rebuilt after they dyno session. It made 280hp at 7500 but we started pressurizing the water. I had not been as accurate with some of the measurements.

so I have remachined the pistons and built the bottom end. I need new valves which I have ordered and 2 new head gaskets that are slightly thicker from cometic.

The wiring of the car has really took it out of me but its nearly there. Heres a pic.