• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

forbeslongden

Instrument Cluster Bulb Question

forbeslongden

Hey all, just recently picked up a late base model and having driven in the dark today - I noticed that none of the illumination is working in the instrument cluster.

The top row seem to be working as they should (headlights, sidelights on, handbrake etc)

Is this likely really to be all the bulbs blown or is there a fuse somewhere that could have blown instead?

If it's the bulbs, which ones should I be looking at to get it all lit up again?

Thanks in advance

j_turnell

Id check the dimmer switch under the steering wheel and also the fusebox.

forbeslongden

Id check the dimmer switch under the steering wheel and also the fusebox.

He's a late base model chap, so no dimmer fitted to these. Does the fusebox contain one for the dash lighting?

Ryan

Fuse 13 (5 amps) is for the instrument lights. Not sure if it's all of them or just some. The same fuse is also for the side lights, so if they work then it's probably not a blown fuse.

forbeslongden

Ah I see! Well the sidelights are still working, so I guess this rules out the fuse, I'm surprised that all the bulbs have gone like that, I've seen cars where a few have gone causing a patchy lighting effect but never all of them, makes me wonder if something wiped them all out. Are they easy to change, dash binnacle out and disconnecting the blocks behind plus speedo I assume?

Gaz205

Ah I see! Well the sidelights are still working, so I guess this rules out the fuse, I'm surprised that all the bulbs have gone like that, I've seen cars where a few have gone causing a patchy lighting effect but never all of them, makes me wonder if something wiped them all out. Are they easy to change, dash binnacle out and disconnecting the blocks behind plus speedo I assume?

Very easy as you mention, just don't pull anything too hard and don't twist too hard on the bulbs either!

• Like 1

forbeslongden

Ideal, are they a particular bulb or are they pretty generic for all cars of that time?

welshpug

without the dimmer switch there will be a bridging piece on the back of the blanking plug from memory, check that this is installed.

they are on the same fuse as sidelights as mentioned, there's an earth on the side of the steering column bracket too.

I dont recall the exact code for the bulbs but they are pretty common to 80's and 90's vehicles, a small 1 or 1.1 watt capless bulb.

• Like 1

jackherer

without the dimmer switch there will be a bridging piece on the back of the blanking plug from memory, check that this is installed.

That's what I was about to post, you may not have a dimmer but there is still a link there that it wont work without.

• Like 1

forbeslongden

Bang on there chaps, just noticed that none of the plastic lower steering casing is there at all, naturally the blank being attached to this means no illumination! God only knows why someone removed it, driving in the dark was obviously not an option for them :/

Thanks all!