• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Can I Use This Tps?

pugpete1108

just been trying to sort out a tps for my bike tb's and decided i would use the original unit which came with the bodies (gsxr 750's i think)

it was fitted to a larger unit which i presume was for the second set of butterflies, i have removed it :

this:

th_IMG_0066.jpg

but when i fit it to the tb's it doesnt line up with the mounting hole (the tps isnt at a stop when the fixing hole lines up), obviously i can fabricate a bracket to make this line up but do i need to have the tps at the fully shut position when the butterflies are fully shut?

secondly how do it test it is registering ( i remember reading about using a multimeter across two contacts and checking for a reading but not really sure how to do this???

this is the pin end of the tps:

th_IMG_0067.jpg

btw i am using megasquirt managment for fuel and spark.

excuse the pics they were of my phone so a little blurry

Tom Fenton

You should be able to use it, with most aftermarket ECUs you calibrate the TPS by telling the ECU the throttle position is at rest, then pressing the pedal down to the floor and telling it you are at full throttle.

To check, set your meter to resistance and put the probes across 2 pins. You should be able to see resistance change as you alter the angle. Usually the centre pin is the wiper and the outer 2 are the no throttle and full throttle ends.

pugpete1108
You should be able to use it, with most aftermarket ECUs you calibrate the TPS by telling the ECU the throttle position is at rest, then pressing the pedal down to the floor and telling it you are at full throttle.

To check, set your meter to resistance and put the probes across 2 pins. You should be able to see resistance change as you alter the angle. Usually the centre pin is the wiper and the outer 2 are the no throttle and full throttle ends.

ok so i connect between the middle and one of the outer ones then.

still need to mount the tps sp as its at full stop when the butterflies are fully closed though.

Tom Fenton

Not really, as when you calibrate it in the ECU it just takes a reading of where open and shut it when you tell it.

In actual fact it is more important to make sure there is some TPS travel left when the throttle is either full open or shut- the reason being that if the TPS is the limiting factor the throttle return spring can put load on the TPS and bugger it up.

pugpete1108
Not really, as when you calibrate it in the ECU it just takes a reading of where open and shut it when you tell it.

In actual fact it is more important to make sure there is some TPS travel left when the throttle is either full open or shut- the reason being that if the TPS is the limiting factor the throttle return spring can put load on the TPS and bugger it up.

ah i see cheers, will set it up properly when i get the return spring and throttle linkage sorted out then, i made it on an adjustable mount anywayso it should be ok.