• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

Making A Loom For My Emerald Ecu

M_R_205

Well my emerald ECU arrived the other day and im going to start constructing a loom soon, iv found a few usefull threads, one by Dreamweaver and one by Glpoo but more advice is going to be needed i think!

First couple of questions are....

What size wire should i use for injectors and sensors etc? im aout to order some 1.0mm2 will this do the trick? obviously bigger feeds i was going to use 2.0mm2 cable

Seccondly, where can i buy shielded cable from to use for the crank postiton sensor???

All other advice would be graetfully recived

Cheers

Paul.

Edited by M_R_205

pee vee

I made my own loom for mine,.

using this i used the 1mm stuff on most of it, as it just seemed better.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Deluxe-Thinwall-wire...A1%7C240%3A1318

i also used 1.5mm for the live between the relay and the injectors and the coil pack (1 wire with spurs coming off it)

In My opinion that diagram makes it look more complicated than it actually is.. but it is correct :lol:

I bought the injector plugs from emerald -- 5 mini-timer plugs (4x injectors, 1 water sensor) my air sensor came with one already from emerald

the coil pack plug was the only one i had trouble finding, so ended being the only old plug ive used on the whole thing..

only things i would say is;

decide where the ECU is going first, then start working out how you are going to route the wires.

My ECU lives in the glove box now, and the Relays for everything are on a blanking panel where the stereo used to go.

P080608_1356.jpg

P120608_2045.jpg

use as few joints as possible, I have one wire coming from ECU right the way thru to the coil pack, and it just has a couple of soldered joints slpliced in

as 'take offs' for the injectors. keep it all real simple, so if you do get a problem, its easy to work out!

and always use brand new wire and plugs!

Also you can get special crimping tool for the pins on the plugs,, these tools are REALLY expensive though, and are different to normal run of the mill electrical crimpers. but they do make a Real nice tidy job of it!!

hope this helps in some way.

P

Edited by pee vee

welshpug

the tool you need is about £20 in most places (inc ebay...)

Miles

Please don;t follow to much of DW posting, I;ve just had to re-make most of it, due to incorrect wire size's and badly crimped with loads of un-necassery connection's, See my post on bad wiring.

The Wiring Diag from Emerald tell's you all you need to know, The Earth's are used a switchig contact for the relay's, Unlike most other item's on the car which can catch you out, But as said keep it simple and you should get most of it from VWP

Super Josh
the tool you need is about £20 in most places (inc ebay...)

Got a link WP :lol:

Josh

welshpug

Ebay Item 380091293168 is the type you need, most of the ones listed are far cheaper but are for the pre-insulated spade/bullet/ring terminals not the pins in the modular plugs.

The right ones usually have the green handles, I think mine were Laser branded and I bought my pair from Simetek for £25.

pug_ham
Seccondly, where can i buy shielded cable from to use for the crank postiton sensor???

pm on its way. :lol:

Graham.

Miles

There not really the right crimp tool's but do work, Mine cost over £200.00 each but have inter changable jaw's

M_R_205

Well i placed an order with AES yesterday for loads of 1mm and 2mm (core) cable and 8 JPT connectors, While im doing the managment side im also going to replace all the Guage Senser loom that is in the engine bay, I was thinking about running 2 seperate set of cables through the bulk head one for the management and sensor looms and one for the lighting loom....

Miles, i assume the wiring diagram off emerald is the one supplied in the manual?

As for the EcU location i was thinking of mounting it under the CD Player and permenantly attaching a coms lead to it for ease of connecting, and objections to this?

Also i was going to run cables directly to the injectors coil etc with out any breaks in the wires so there are no connections to corrode and go wrong (like our little friend the brown multi plug.....)

As for the criming tool i have a halfords one (with red handles)which looks the same as the one on the ebay link posted, if that will not suffiec i have seen this one from CBS

Thaks for the replies,

Paul.

Miles

yes thats the one,

Basically the injectors, Coil Pack etc get a 12v switched feed, The other sensor's are just 2 wire connections bar the TPS & CPS, There other sensor's which can be fitted along with full throttle shift which is a nice feature

Tom Fenton

The emerald diagram and info tells you all you need to know really, if you have bought it new there is detail in the info on what sizes to use. Apart from that the main thing is to support the loom you make well, and also sheath it well from heat/oil/damage. Crank sensor cable can be bought from somewhere like Maplin electronics, any 2 core shielded cable will be OK.

Make sure you follow the instructions to the letter regarding earthing, all the earths MUST run to one common point, if possible direct to the battery itself. Sensor wiring should also be twisted together, this can help reduce possible interferance. When I wired the Mini I had two looms coming through into the engine bay, one loom for the injectors boost control v/v and coilpack, and a seperate loom for all the sensors.

The final thing I would recommend is to devise some sort of colour coding. For example I used red with tracer colours for ignition wiring, yellow with tracer colours for fuel/injection wiring, and blue with tracer colours for all the sensors. This way if you ever have a problem it is more simple to diagnose as you can look up from your notes what is what.

Finally use plenty fuses, I used a small 6-way box.

M_R_205

Cheers for that tom :blush: one question though regarding "all the earths MUST run to one common point" according to the diagram DreamWeaver made there is only realy one earth at pin 29 (and the shielded cable earth) should i also run the relay and switch earths to the same point??

Another question iv just thought of, on all the crimped conections i was goin to solder them also (being careful not to let the solder dissapear down the wire) is this a good or bad idea?? i can only see it being a good thing.

welshpug

Shouldn't need to solder IMO, this type of crimp done well is very secure :blush:

Tom Fenton

Read the Emerald info is my advice. Its all in there for you along with adding a bit of common sense.

DrSarty

Yep the Emerald instructions are crystal.

I know you've bought your wires, but I recommended (and I think I got a few nods on this such as from Jackherer), was to buy from DIYAUTOTUNE.com a Megasquirt ready made loom. All of the wires are the correct guage, clearly printed on the full length, well colour coded and only about 25quid. You just take apart the supplied connector and use the wires you need, crimping on the Emerald jobbies, if indeed that's needed as the terminations might be the same.

Remember you may need the rev counter dongle too if you don't have it yet. (May have missed that in your thread, sorry).

Miles

No need to Solder, this casues a brittle joint and with today's no Lead solder (Unless you have the old stuff like me) is rubbish

M_R_205

Well after being as sick as a dog over chistmas with this cold/flu bug i finaly started on my loom today, didnt get a huge amount done iv crimped and fitted all the wries to the ecu plug and iv just finnished soldering the 2 piggy back wires for the injectors,

Time for a bit of a stupid question though, Do the injectors have a + / - pin. IE can i wire them up backwards, i cant imanine so but just want to be 100% sure

Paul.

Sandy

They do have a polarity marking on many, pin 1 is 12v, pin 2 is ECU.

M_R_205
They do have a polarity marking on many, pin 1 is 12v, pin 2 is ECU.

Cheers sandy i have just had a look at them now and one pin is indeed marked with a + :blush:

M_R_205

Well the loom is almost ready but iv one last problem, iv got the crank sensor wired in with the shielded cable, but it says it has to be earthed... i can only assume that i have to solder some wire to the shielding? and then earth that to the ECU

Ta

Paul.

Sandy

Peel back some sheathing and twist it, then connect it to the pin32 with signal earth.

M_R_205

just putting the last of the connectors on the loom now and im not sure if the sensors have a polarity or not, i cant see any markings on the sensor its self but just want to be sure :)Paul.

gizzmo

i just bought the pre assembled loom then intergrated my existing sensor loom nice and easy, im an electrician and felt it was not worth all the hassel of colour coding gettin the correct tooling. and as stated the instructions are quite easy to follow especially as its all colour coded,

M_R_205

Unfortunatley i didnt have an existing loom lol so iv had to do it from scratch, its been fairly easy but just a few points i wasnt sure on and obviously want to double check.