• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mac210882

Gti6 Rev Counter Adapter For 205

Mac210882

Hi Guys

I am running a GTI6 conversion on a 205, I therefore must have an adapter to make the rev counter work. I'm going to install a set of BX clocks which apparently don't need this adapter like the 205 clocks do.

I just wanted to pick your brains on where the adapter might be for the GTI6 conversion. To be honest I don't know what I'm looking for to remove! Can you give me a bit more info as to what I might have fitted to my car to make a rev counter work with a GTI6 engine? Is it something on the gearbox or is it something inside the dash?

Cheers

Iain

welshpug

depends who did the install really, (and whether its on a gti6 ecu)

It may be installed by the coilpacks like Spiky's adapter would be, in this case you'd just remove each wire (4 pickups, one earth and the signal wire) and connect the output from the ecu in its place.

My preference is to install it in the loom by the ecu or on an S16 conversion by the Ignition Amplifier (gti6 doesn't use amps, drives directly from the ECU)

Mac210882

I guess I need to speak to Dan (taylorspug) to find out :lol:

Cheers

EDIT - Yes, it's a GTI6 ECU

Edited by Mac210882

welshpug

yep, speak to Dan :lol: it may only have had the rev counter itself modified, in which case I'm pretty you could just plug your BX dials straight in :)

pug_ham

The BX GTi clocks are the same internally for the rev counter as a normal set of 205 clocks afaik.

The only ones that are different are those that were fitted to the MP3.1 BX GTi but I don't think they don't work on the GTi-6 ecu.

Graham.

Anthony
The only ones that are different are those that were fitted to the MP3.1 BX GTi but I don't think they don't work on the GTi-6 ecu.

They are from a MP3.1 BX GTi - as far as I was aware the rev counter output from all the late Bosch and Magneti Marelli ECU's was the same, hence for example you can stick a GTi-6 in a 306 S16 (Bosch MP3.2) and the clocks still work?

Mac210882

Just been out and swapped them over directly - no rev counter signal, so I'll see what Dan reckons when he gets back to my PM whenever he logs on

Anthony - on a separate note, the oil pressure doesn't work on the new dials, any ideas (was it working in the previous car?). Swapped them back again just to check the connection and it's definitely not the sender, it's the gauges.

Cheers

Iain

maxi
Just been out and swapped them over directly - no rev counter signal, so I'll see what Dan reckons when he gets back to my PM whenever he logs on

Anthony - on a separate note, the oil pressure doesn't work on the new dials, any ideas (was it working in the previous car?). Swapped them back again just to check the connection and it's definitely not the sender, it's the gauges.

Cheers

Iain

Careful Iain, you are going to get yourself into a big mess over these dials in a minute. Putting in the BX clocks isnt a straight plug and play conversion as the oil pressure gauge will not work, as you have found out. The BX clocks have extra circuitry to show the oil level when the ignition is turned on and then show the oil pressure once the engine is started. The extra circuitry needs removing and some extra wires soldered in with a 205 gague for it to work. I have done loads of them now as I detest std 205 dials. Dan did his own ones in his car so he can point you in the right direction no probs. :P (always best to just ask the guy who built the car for you, too many cooks spoil the broth and all that...)

As for your rev counter, I have never tried a BX coil pack rev counter as a solution so I havent a clue if it works or not to be honest! Your most foolproof solution I think is to put a 205 rev counter in with the modifcation on pin1 of the IC. Be careful to heat sink as you solder though, those chips go pop way too easily. I personally prefer to solder a jumper wire from the far leag of the resistor to the far leg of the capacitor (obviosuly once the legs have been cut off their original components).

This all sounds rather complicated but trust me, it really isnt! Best way to get to grips with it is to take a set of knackerd clocks to a million pieces and familiarise yourself with them.

Maxi

Mac210882
Careful Iain, you are going to get yourself into a big mess over these dials in a minute

In a minute? It sounds like I'm already there to me! :P

Some good advice there maxi - many thanks mate.

Iain

pug_ham
They are from a MP3.1 BX GTi - as far as I was aware the rev counter output from all the late Bosch and Magneti Marelli ECU's was the same, hence for example you can stick a GTi-6 in a 306 S16 (Bosch MP3.2) and the clocks still work?

This is open for debate, I've tried pin 1 modified rev counters on the MP3.1 & they don't work where the rev counters with internals from a later rev counter taken from such as a 106 rallye & they work on both MP3.1 & MM8P as detailed in the rev counter for aftermarket ecu topic on here but the pin 1 works on an MM8P ecu because I've tried it & also I'm led to belive tis works on the MP3.2 ecu but I can't vouch for this having not seen it or tried it personally.

Graham.

Henry Yorke

You could just swap the faces on the clocks over so you have GTI backing (known working) with BX faces (for the look)

CaptainK
I guess I need to speak to Dan (taylorspug) to find out :lol:

With my 205 GTi6 conversions that Dan rebuilt, he didn't fit an adapter to the coilpacks or anything like that, but soldered (or unsoldered) summat to solve the problem. I can't remember the exact details though, but I'd guess its the same he's done to yours. Works well and no need to have the adapters. Only downside I can see is that sometimes when you turn the ignition on the rev counter needle will jump a little (but its ok as the engine isn't running at that point)

Edited by CaptainK