• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Gti6 Management

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive purchased a gti6 ecu from a fellow member which I intend to use with my xu10j4r, combined with gti6 manifolds and petert stage 2 inlet cam. I know I will need to do some tricky wiring for the coil packs but am I little concerned about the cam sensor. Will it run without one or could I knock something up to simulate it?

whizzer71
Ive purchased a gti6 ecu from a fellow member which I intend to use with my xu10j4r, combined with gti6 manifolds and petert stage 2 inlet cam. I know I will need to do some tricky wiring for the coil packs but am I little concerned about the cam sensor. Will it run without one or could I knock something up to simulate it?

No you will need the cam sensor,without it the injectors wont work as they are sequential...hence the little blue cam sensor,coils shouldnt be a prob though,they only have a perm+ from the multi function relay and then earth triggered by the ECU cant remember if they are still grouped in two's or if they are sequential as well,prob grouped in pairs as per normal.

Does they XU10J4R have the provision in the cylinder head for the cam sensor to be bolted in ?,It only has three wires shouldn't be too hard to wire up,again don't know if cam pulleys are different between the two engine types also ?

:)

welshpug

I think its more than just the coilpacks and Camsensor you need to think about, you need to check that all 50+ pins in the ecu plugs are used for the same purpose.

the J4R head isn't drilled for the camsensor, but the tab is there for it, as it is on the XU7 head, the actual trigger I think its either the hub of the pulley, or the pulley itself, if its the pulley then all the engines use the same type, if its the hub you can use one from a gti6, but bear in mind that the woodruff key might be in a different angle to the locking pin hole.

whizzer71

Arent the ECU gang plugs different also ,I may be wrong but I seem to remember seeing a 406 2.0ltr 16V down the scrappy once and I think that had only two rows on it ?,Whereas the Gti6 one has 3

welshpug

it varies, I know that the Bosch 5.1 and Magneti Marelli that the S16 and gti6 use will plug into the same bosch 3 row plug, but most of the wires go to different pins.

Richie-Van-GTi

I would of course be making a loom to suit so plug and wires arent the issue. the issue is purely the cam sensor and the coils as far as I know. I am using vernier pulleys (std pug ones) and from what I know these are keyed the same as a gti'6 so shouldnt pose any problems, other than possibly the pick gear for the sensor?

welshpug

the pulleys may place the camshafts in a different position as the hub is different from the R to the RS, but the outer section is the same, IIRC 24seven experienced problems with his XS due to this.

Richie-Van-GTi

I see what you mean, IE more advance at TDC etc. I will have to explore more. If it will run as such that would be enough, from there it needs to be mapped anyway as the head is slightly different such as valve sizes and the inlet cam is completely different being a petert stage 2. I can get the ecu remapped locally by a very well respected mapper. Just didnt want to go to effort of splicing in if it wouldnt run without cam sensor or couldnt be overcome.

marksorrento205

Richie have you sorted youself out with a cam sensor. I have a couple here if you need one FOC I will pop one in the post if you want.

welshpug

yep exactly that richie, the gti6 iirc used the same pulley hub on the inlet and exhaust, the J4R engine used the same hub on one cam.

I've got a pair of J4R pulleys here and they have a number on the back, you can see that the tab for the slot in the cam is ever so slightly further round.

Will get a picture if the digi cam hasn't died :)

welshpug

dug out some info I remember seeing in the Haynes manual, the earlier 3 bolt camshaft pulleys used on the R, RS and 7JP4 are marked on the rear of the hub with a single digit.

J4R has the inlet numbered 3, the exhaust numbered 4, the RS engine uses 2x No4's.

the 7JP4 engine is numbered 1 on the inlet, 2 on the exhaust.

the pulley itself is the same, though I'm unsure if the same numbering exists on the later single bolt pulleys, they do all share the same arrangement again.