• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James_m

Exhaust Manifold Paste/

James_m

Right, i was wondering if anyone can recommend an easily availible sealent, specifically for exhaust manifolds. I had planned to use 2 Standard metal gaskets(this is with a QEP reangling wedge on an mi), but today i realised the bolts are too short doing it that way, so thats £50 wasted on gaskets :huh: (btw, if anyone wants one give me a pm)

PeterT recommends loctite copper maxx, but looking on google i cant find much reference to it in the uk, and i need something i can buy right away.

What has other people used and was it effective?

Any input would be apreciated,

Cheers James.

welshpug

I cant remember the manufacturer but on my friends 200SX we used a red silicon type stuff (specific to fitting exhausts) on the turbo elbow while the gasket was on order.

it was still intact 3 weeks later when we got round to changing it, and was pretty well sealed.

Edited by welshpug

jackherer

I've fitted a couple of the QEP wedges with two gaskets using the bolts Matt supplied, so unless he has changed the bolts they are plenty long enough...

jim21070
I cant remember the manufacturer but on my friends 200SX we used a red silicon type stuff (specific to fitting exhausts) on the turbo elbow while the gasket was on order.

it was still intact 3 weeks later when we got round to changing it, and was pretty well sealed.

Yep. I used similar stuff on my son's 200SX Intercooler Elbows and it's still good.

It's Permatex Ultra Copper. This is bright orange. Expensive though. £7 a tube IIRC. This stuff is good to 800 degrees and is O2 Sensor safe.

James_m

Thanks for the suggestions, i will look out for the permatex stuff.

Wanted to double check on the bolt length's so took a few pics whilst i was at it....

Picture025.jpg

And with no gaskets

Picture030.jpg

Do we think the bolts are even long enough with no gaskets?

£70 for a metal plate, and bolts of the wrong length, value for money eh :huh:

welshpug

definitely a DOH! moment there, just get out and buy yourself £2's worth of bolt.

tom_m

well as welshpug says, go out and get yourself some new bolts :huh:

but if its any help you can pick up loctite 5920 copper at halfrauds which i think is the stuff you are talking about

James_m
well as welshpug says, go out and get yourself some new bolts :huh:

but if its any help you can pick up loctite 5920 copper at halfrauds which i think is the stuff you are talking about

Not really because i will use the gasket's now :) :seriousmode: Cheers, be good if they do, im now thinking it would be better to use sealent instead of the gaskets, and save a few mm in bulkhead clearance.

welshpug

if they're the same as 8v studs they're M7, which is impossible to get anywhere but peugeot and here

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/WVS-FASTENERS_METRIC-M7_W0QQfsubZ11

what's confused me though is why you're using bolts as I thought the manifolds use studs? which if they're STD length should be long enough? but I guess not if QEP supply bolts.

But really your first point of action should be an email or call to QEP just to clarify how they are meant to be fitted and why the bolts are as short as pictured.

James_m

Your correct that from the factory studs are used, these bolts are what is supplied from the QEP with the wedge. I tried ringing them today, but obviously its boxing day so closed. I shall try again tomorrow

jackherer

Matt must have sent you the wrong bolts, those are clearly too short.

just get out and buy yourself £2's worth of bolt.

You can't use standard bolts, the ones QEP supply have been machined to match the supplied washers.

Guest Top_Cat

What is this QEP that you all are talking about?...i would need this type of plate and washers

for my project too.

Any info about them?..i would need mine to be shipped over to mee (i live in Finland).

welshpug

QEP!!

you may have spotted it in the top right hand corner!!! if its not there try a refresh or two, the main forum sponsor :unsure:

Guest Top_Cat
QEP!!

you may have spotted it in the top right hand corner!!! if its not there try a refresh or two, the main forum sponsor :lol:

Thanks! I haven´t been on this forum for a while so...im a bit "out" :unsure:

James_m

A little update.... i could'nt get through to QEP due to the time of year, and the nut and bolt shop near to me was also closed. But i was desperate to get the engine in and running....., so i used the original studs.

All was going well, until the very last stud on the far left where the thread in the head failed (crappy chocolote aluminium) cant be bothered though, im just going to leave it as it is, and if it leaks too badly(which im sure it will) it will be head off and have it helecoiled or whatever it is. Bloody cars <_<

Sign in to follow this