• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuart.m

Plastic Inlet --> Gti6 Inlet

stuart.m

Well, i decided to ditch the plastic inlet and go for the gti6 inlet. Ive read a few threads here and there (205 forum, 306 forum) and it sounded not too much work. Got it all on, and suffered a few problems (dodgy wiring done by me, that sort of stuff) and its running nearly ok now. Only problem is, it wont idle properly, the revs keep on fluctuating between 1500 and 3000 rpm, approximately. I'm using all the sensors from my original manifold and ive tested every sensor I can think of, just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

cheers

Stuart

Baz

I think Miles has done this, if not a few times, sure he may have the answers.

KRISKARRERA

Yes, and I think Miles said the ecu needs remapping as well :rolleyes:

stuart.m

Yeah an ecu remap is needed to get the best out of the swap i think but it still shouldnt be idling this badly, seems to me like an electrical fault but im pretty much stumped.

Sloppy

hummm, will be interesting to see what gains are available,

i thought the plastic onw with the twin port system at different revs was suppose to be good for low down torque and high end power will this surely not be lost with the gti manifold?

ryan13961345402285

Could possibly be an air leak somewhere.

Baz

i thought the plastic onw with the twin port system at different revs was suppose to be good for low down torque and high end power will this surely not be lost with the gti manifold?

Good if they work yes, but often troublesome and a major PITA when they don't.

Miles

The 2.0 (plastic inlet) I found even when new I found peaker than the old 1.9 version, but the worst bit about the 2.0 is the tiny throttle body, compare it to the GTi6 which is huge and the 1.9 Mi isn;t that bad a size either

Sloppy

The 2.0 (plastic inlet) I found even when new I found peaker than the old 1.9 version, but the worst bit about the 2.0 is the tiny throttle body, compare it to the GTi6 which is huge and the 1.9 Mi isn;t that bad a size either

I see, can you mod a gti6 one to the plastic manifold, i have a spare one at home from a gti6 i broke last year?

worth a try :lol:

Feeble

Hope I'm not being stupid, but what is the pastic inlet? :huh:

Sloppy

the 2.0 mi16 has a plastic inlet manifold similar to the late 306/406 16v engines as opposed to a ali one like the 1.9 mi16 and 306 gti6

Edited by Sloppy

Feeble

Oh right! Didn't think I had one! :P

stuart.m

Well, i feel a bit stupid now :P

Havent looked at it really for days now with work and the weather hasnt been great. Ive been thinking into sensors and all sorts of complex stuff, so went out tonight and tried to go 'back to basics' and its fixed! There was 2 air pipes with a metal elbow between them, squashed just under the manifold, so i slackeded the bolts off a touch and pulled it all out, then tightened everything back up again and away we go, seems it was holding it up just enough that it wasnt sealing perfectly. I knew they were in there pretty tight didnt think they could be causing a problem though, as the manifold looked to be tight and flat against the head. Still, lesson learned, and if I'd been careful and taken my time to start with it would indeed have been quite an easy swap, and i wouldnt have been driving a ford courier van for days :lol:

Cheers people for your input, especially Miles who I've been messaging a good few times over on 205drivers and always took the time to send a worthwhile reply.

Ive not really driven the car much still got to tidy up the engine bay a bit, clip up hoses and everything make it look neat! But ill post some pictures when im done, got some before and afters, and a couple of work-in-progress shots.

Guest P Zero

Are you getting any noticeable improvement from the swap?

stuart.m

Yeah, the car seems to pick up a little quicker and rev a bit more freely. its not a huge difference but it was worthwhile, im going to look into remapping and cost it up as well to try and get the most of out of the larger tb. Ill get some pictures up soon; there was about 2 inches between the tb and the battery after everything was fitted, so ive moved the battery backwards into the space where the air box originally was, now i can get a pipe/filter on there, and going to order some nice new hoses and replace a lot of them, so at least itll look nice B)

Guest P Zero

I've heard people saying that there are gains to be had from swapping to the old alloy inlet manifold. Can anyone confirm this?

stuart.m
I've heard people saying that there are gains to be had from swapping to the old alloy inlet manifold. Can anyone confirm this?

id heard that too but after asking around a bit, the only manifold you can put directly onto the 2L Mi/S16 is the Gti6 one, its the only one that you can run with the standard ecu. The sensors just swap right over, and it bolts straight on, so its the one to go for. Plus, the gti6 throttle body is bigger than both the 1.9 and 2.0 Mi tb's.

Sloppy

yea people have been on about fitting a gti 6 one, but as said here it would be damb ner the battery.

To be honest im not to impressed with the speed of my mi16 so i will be looking into this...

Ha ha yes i tried to graft on the gti throtel body i have as you said all the sensors are the same so they just plug in but the body has 4 bolts and the mi16 on has 3 so you need tthe whole gti inlet!

Edited by Sloppy

stuart.m
yea people have been on about fitting a gti 6 one, but as said here it would be damb ner the battery.

To be honest im not to impressed with the speed of my mi16 so i will be looking into this...

Ha ha yes i tried to graft on the gti throtel body i have as you said all the sensors are the same so they just plug in but the body has 4 bolts and the mi16 on has 3 so you need tthe whole gti inlet!

and, just to state the obvious, it looks better than the plastic thing. Battery is easy enough to get moved if you know someone who's handy with a welder. No point trying to describe it will just get a picture soon.

Sloppy

from what you have sid you move it to where it is on a derv, i have my old derv behind the barn so can cut the brackets off that.

Just need pics of where to send the hoses to on the gti manifold to make it all work then im def up for the swap me thinks! (i.e like the charcold filter hoses and vacume ones etc) also i bet you can ditch the avac vacume cylinder thingy?

so you rekon its much better with this on, how does it change the resopnse.

Cant wait to see pics!

Edited by Sloppy

stuart.m
from what you have sid you move it to where it is on a derv, i have my old derv behind the barn so can cut the brackets off that.

Just need pics of where to send the hoses to on the gti manifold to make it all work then im def up for the swap me thinks! (i.e like the charcold filter hoses and vacume ones etc) also i bet you can ditch the avac vacume cylinder thingy?

so you rekon its much better with this on, how does it change the resopnse.

Cant wait to see pics!

will try to sort out some pictures. i T'd the map sensor hose into the hose form the manifold to the fuel reg, the large hose from the tb over and connected to a breather from the block i think, left the purge valve just disconnected, my memory is rubbish ill get photos asap itd be much clearer. it runs fine so they must be in the right(ish) places :D yeah you can ditch all the acav stuff its redundant. its not a huge difference, it does seem to pick up a bit quicker but nothing massive, but then again the difference will change car to car, depending on the engine and how well the acav system is working i guess.

Sloppy

mine just seems flat as fook at like 3-5.5k then it really comes alive and goes like fook... just s*it as its to smaller rev range to use in normal driving its just not progressive

stuart.m
mine just seems flat as fook at like 3-5.5k  then it really comes alive and goes like fook... just s*it as its to smaller rev range to use in normal driving its just not progressive

well im no expert but its possible thats a fault with the inlet/acav system, maybe if the diaphrams arent opening and closing completely, not sure. anyway... hoses on order so pics soon.

Sloppy

Well stuart, after lengthy reads on the 205 drivers forum last night it seems that people beleave the mk1 and mk2 mi16 cams are vertaully identical in profile if not exactly the same, (this was one thing i though the avac system mayt have been tailored to making the gti manifold results a bit randon?) and the mk2 having the same sensors as the 6 is the best loom to run on modded 205's, this in mind i cant see why the gti inlet would not be a sucessfull mod, only thing that it may not be optimised with is the ecu but i dint look to see the differences there, also you can run gti injectors with it not sure about any gain without maps but they do have a higher capacity.

Think im def gonna look out for one my self as i rekonit would be a worth mod of the mk2 engine to get thr response of the mk1 more or gti.

Do you think it is possible to run gti cams in the mi16 head, people said the mi16 mk2 head amd gti one are almost identical??? this would be quite cool!

Edited by Sloppy

KRISKARRERA

Maybe the difference is in the head though.

Sign in to follow this