• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest K252FVW

Gear Selection

Guest K252FVW

Hello all>

New to this forum and loking for some help.

have owner my '93 405 Mi16 since it two years old and other than routine stuff and a heater matrix and alternator it has been quite reliable.

It has however developed a problem with selecting 4th gears which baulks and required two bites of the cherry if you know what I mean.

It has been up on a ramp and the linkage has been looked at and it all seems Ok but there is 'quite a bit of play' in the gear lever itself and the gear rod (linkage end), which I'm told by my local dealer is NLA.

Anyone experienced similar problems?

All help/ideas/guidance greatly appreciated.

Thought I would ad it's done 126K miles.

Jer309GTi

Hi there, welcome to the forum :)

Gearbox sounds like an internal fault to me if its only 4th thats hard to select, possibly the synchromesh is at fault?

Got any pics of your car? Theres a big thread in General Car Chat that lots of people had uploaded pics to, always good to see some more ;)

Haze

if its the end im thinkin of, the linkages that have a ball end clip one end and a rubber mounted bush the other. these ones are available...(that was 5 months ago) any chance of a pic of what u mean?

Guest K252FVW

Thanks for the welcome.

It is the end your thinking of, and all parts at that end are on B/O, with the longest bar (gearshift link) at that end now being NLA.

I've ordered a couple of the cheaper, and readily available bits to change to see what that does but will see how it all pans out as the B/O'ed parts come in.

It may well be an internal problem but I thought shot synchro's are normally accompanied by a graunch/grinding sound ( an expert by no means ), but this does not seem to be the case, it's just an obstructive change into 4th and there is alot of play in the lever itself about a inch to left and same to the right when it is in gear.

The way I see it it's worth doing the cheaper bits first before pulling the gearbox.

Miles

Huge plug here, But I supply all the gearlinkage parts

Neal H

Mine is the same to. Clean shift into all gears, no crunching, just 4th is sometimes difficult to get. Odd. Any luck fixing it with your new parts K252 FVW?

Guest K252FVW
Mine is the same to. Clean shift into all gears, no crunching, just 4th is sometimes difficult to get. Odd. Any luck fixing it with your new parts K252 FVW?

I've replaced the spacer in the bottom of the lever (part # P0000240416) and the plastic retaining clip

(part # p0000241108) and it has improved but still not quite right.

These part were readily available and cheap, total £3.30

Seeing how it goes at the moment.

Guest K252FVW

An update, a graunch has developed on down changes from 5th to 4th, so looks like it could be the syncro on 4th, planning on a oil change before I decide on a box out job, is there a guide to changing the transmission fluid, location of drain and refill plug and recommended fluids, on the 2.0 litre model that anyone could point me in the direction of?

petert1345402284

Drain plug is on the diff housing. Filler plug is the 19mm AF nut on the side case (LH wheel and plastic inner guard removed). Pump in 2L of Castrol Syntrax.

I'd save your money and efforts for the reco'd gearbox however. Sounds like a repair is inevitable.

Sign in to follow this