• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ALEX

[car_restoration] Cti Restoration

jonnyvandijk

Does look fantastic. Since my little one has been born nothing at all has been done on any of my cars and shes 17 months old now!

Edited by jonnyvandijk
  • Like 1

ALEX

After decorating half the house I've finally got update this project!

Still a bit to go but this is where I'm at.

post-2783-0-59555000-1404070841_thumb.jpg

I figured this corner is clamped back with quarter steels.

post-2783-0-37685900-1404070851_thumb.jpg

Edit: I still need 1 metal corner piece as in the photo above for the otherside.

Edited by ALEX

ALEX

View inside of the corner.

I've re-fitted it with some effort with the plastic lapped under the steel clamp bar.

post-2783-0-30052600-1404071165_thumb.jpg

Close up of the mounting bracket required to convert manual to electric.

post-2783-0-10560600-1404071716_thumb.jpg

The interior is back in see!

post-2783-0-44925300-1404071724_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the next set of photos will be the last.

It needs a clean and I'll use a better resolution to show how good it looks close up.

Edited by ALEX

ALEX

Hmm a bit stuck on this, what does the little platic flaps on the rear window corners lap around? Tried the hocky sticks corner but its caused it to start to split.

Slo

Little flaps? Do you mean the extra long bits that hang down the sides of the rear window rail? I double them up twice and clamp them down under the hockey sticks.

• Like 1

ALEX

Little flaps? Do you mean the extra long bits that hang down the sides of the rear window rail? I double them up twice and clamp them down under the hockey sticks.

Figured it.

Looking closely on images on the web they are lapped under the metal clamp bar.

Was over thinking it really and it fits much better now.

I had to get the sewing kit out for the little tear and glue a patch on the back, gutted but it's hardly noticable as its mostly covered.

ALEX

Booked in for its MOT on Monday.

Its also having the headlights aligned, tracking and a tune to pass the emmissions test.

I noticed an occasional knock comming from the front suspension/steering. Was wondering if its because the tracking is way out. I'll mention it too when I drop it off.

welshpug

tracking being out wont cause a knock.

ALEX

tracking being out wont cause a knock.

Bet Iv'e forgot to tighten something up!.

Still no news, I'm going on the basis that no News is Good news.

ALEX

It passed! :D

And, I had forgotten to tighten up the pinch bolt for the wishbone!.

GLPoomobile

Congratulations Alex, looks sweeeet B). And just in time for summer too (snigger :lol:).

• Like 2

Slo

Lookin good, psst take no notice I heard its going to be a hot day tomorrow

• Like 1

ALEX

Now Taxed, Insured and MOT'd! So I took it for a long run yesterday in the sun with the roof down!

Not many incidents.

• Small oil leak from Dizzy - Needs a Seal
  • Fan Stays on - Think I’ve got a Headlight resistor plugged into it instead of the Fan one.
  • The Gear knob broke - Gutted as I'm not paying the silly money they are going for on eBay, so I bought a £30 Halfords one - It's a bit chav. I’m thinking of modelling one up in solidworks to 3d print.
  • It's pinking and smells a bit, so I need to work on the fuelling and timing, also drinks fuel. About 20 mpg.
  • The Speedo finally fixed itself as it must have been stuck, though it's still a little out, on the motorway It seemed to be out by about 10 MPH at 70. So MPG might not be as bad as I thought. I'm using a Black Large Speedo gear with a Yellow little one, taken from a BE3. The Cti has BE1. I have a White large gear and red small one to try. If that doesn't fix it I have an old set of clocks I can butcher.
  • A few rattles that you have to get used to with 205 ownership, - I think they could be improved by adjusting the exhaust and the loose reflector in the rear valance.
  • The lack of power steering has got me thinking about fitting one, but after a while I got used to it, probably after I developed muscles in a place reserved for cars without power steering.

Next is a trip to the body shop to touch up all the little nicks from assembly.

I’m also considering fitting the original bonnet as the auto one has large panel gaps against the wings as it might be a remanufactured one. still undecided yet though.

Anthony

The Speedo finally fixed itself as it must have been stuck, though it's still a little out, on the motorway It seemed to be out by about 10 MPH at 70. So MPG might not be as bad as I thought. I'm using a Black Large Speedo gear with a Yellow little one, taken from a BE3. The Cti has BE1. I have a White large gear and red small one to try. If that doesn't fix it I have an old set of clocks I can butcher.

The white and red cog combo is correct for a GTi/CTi in both BE1 and BE3 so if you swap those over as a pair that should address the speedo accuracy issues I'd imagine.

ALEX

The white and red cog combo is correct for a GTi/CTi in both BE1 and BE3 so if you swap those over as a pair that should address the speedo accuracy issues I'd imagine.

Made no difference fitting white and red. It could be because Its running on 15" wheels? :unsure: or the speedo needle is a little stiff.

Need to really take it for a good run but the weather is poor. I've not been very far since I fitted the injectors I got from you.

Roll on summer :)

Anthony

Providing that it's running 195/50R15 or 185/55R15 then the white/red cogs will be correct.

Both my current GTi and the couple before that were using red/white with the above and the speedo has been within about 2mph at 70mph in every case - indeed, the speedos in 205's seem to be really accurate compared to most newer stuff I find!

Speedo needle shouldn't be stiff at all btw - should move with almost no effort, so if yours is stiff then it probably needs replacing (or you've got the needle pushed on too far and it's catching on the face)

Slo

:( Not Cti weather!

Apart from rain its always cti weather, wheres your spirit dont be afraid to drop the top just because its cold although i reccomend a wooly hat haa haa, thats why it has a built in quilt.

Wouldnt reccomend folding the rag down if its freezing though :excl:

ALEX

Providing that it's running 195/50R15 or 185/55R15 then the white/red cogs will be correct.

Both my current GTi and the couple before that were using red/white with the above and the speedo has been within about 2mph at 70mph in every case - indeed, the speedos in 205's seem to be really accurate compared to most newer stuff I find!

Speedo needle shouldn't be stiff at all btw - should move with almost no effort, so if yours is stiff then it probably needs replacing (or you've got the needle pushed on too far and it's catching on the face)

The standard wheels are 14". I've noticed that the tyre rubs on the inner wing on full lock. I've fitted 185/55R15 tyres, Anyone else had this problem with the Cti? The suspension set up is the same as the XS.

Apart from rain its always cti weather, wheres your spirit dont be afraid to drop the top just because its cold although i reccomend a wooly hat haa haa, thats why it has a built in quilt.

Wouldnt reccomend folding the rag down if its freezing though :excl:

Or Snow! ;)

timoth123

How are you getting on with this Alex?

Im trying to put myself off getting a CTi to add to the collection.

ALEX

Been fitting PAS to it.

Not a small job but pretty straight forward.

Hardest part was fitting the high pressure pipe under the manifold.

post-2783-0-18268500-1435610951_thumb.jpg

ALEX

Rack before It was fitted.

Though now covered in scratches...sweat...tears....blood...and I bet its a little shaken up from verbal abuse too.

Yeah removing a manual rack is a piece of piss. Fitting a PAS rack is not... you have to lower the sub frame, which is advice worth having before you attempt something like this.

It's fitted though, just need to re arrange the pipework/wiring under the manifold AGAIN!. no wonder the manifold mounting bracket often goes missing, cos its tight as a gnats chuff under there.

post-2783-0-56187900-1435611171_thumb.jpg