Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tu Gearbox On Xu Engine? (205 Rallye)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Saveit

Saveit
  • Drivers
  • 472 posts
Hi,

I have a 205 1.3 rallye (euro specs) with webers. But we have never managed to get it to run as supposed. So we are planning on removing the TU engine and replacing it with a 1.9 gti engine (also with webers). Will the original TU gearbox fit the new XU engine, or should we also replace the gearbox? Is their any other things that we should be aware about when replacing the 1.3 rallye engine with a 1.9 gti?

Thanks alot

dcc

dcc
  • Drivers+
  • 3,141 posts
  • Name:Dan
I think the gearboxes have different number of teeth for the driveshafts, so you would have to replace them too. im unsure if it fits, as isnt the casing different and the mount points?

EdCherry

EdCherry
  • Drivers
  • 2,346 posts
Garage View Garage
id rather use the BE box that the XU engines uses than the MA box.

swordfish210

swordfish210
  • Drivers
  • 2,374 posts
  • Name:Mark
the stud pattern on the bellhousing is different and the splies on the driveshafts dont match.

Saveit

Saveit
  • Drivers
  • 472 posts
So if i put an xu gearbox in it, i have to replace the driveshafts too? Is that what you are saying? But doenst the TU gearbox fit onto the XU engine or what?

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts
  • Name:Mei
nope, they dont.

you will need the BE gearbox, and 1.6 driveshafts, these will fit the TU/base model hubs.

personally, I would try a bit harder on getting the 1293cc engine running, an XU would spoil it IMO.

Saveit

Saveit
  • Drivers
  • 472 posts
Oh i can tell you everything has been tried. The carbs has been tuned in correctly from scratch and everything has been looked through. Even the full wiring have been changed to a custom wired system.

But the car is used for racing, so the 103 hp (or something like that) is not enough. The 1.9 gti that we are replacing it with is a 145 hp, which should make a slight difference. It is about 40% increase in horsepower.

But the only thing we have to replace other than the gearbox itself is the driveshafts? That sounds promising.

Edited by Saveit, 27 December 2008 - 09:01 PM.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts
  • Name:Mei
40% increase in horsepower no doubt, but how much in weight?.......

you will need new gear linkages, and to move the gear quadrant post on the subframe, weld it in a different position.

Jrod

Jrod
  • Veterans
  • 3,326 posts
  • Name:Jordan
and an injection tank/wiring etc.

Saveit

Saveit
  • Drivers
  • 472 posts
No, no need for new wiring. The engine that we are putting in is also running on webers.