• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

blandy

Self Built Budget Track Car Project

blandy

Seeing as I've had my 205 for a good few months now I thought I'd share my project. Story behind it is 2 years ago I decided to get a 306 rallye as always wanted to do trackdays but could never bring myself to use our only car so looked for some cheap fun hence the rallye. Unfortunately it turned into a bad buy (from a dealer over the net but when received was no way near as good as described) but stick with it and ended up spending a fair bit only to end up having to sell it on as needed the money more.

Trouble is 6 months on and I still wanted a toy as I missed it but as I like making it my own I ended up buying a rather sorry off the road gti which had already been semi broken for parts, but I wanted to build from scratch trying to do as much as possible myself

740cbf45d95227fcca4b74e8bd90e055_zpscb8e

5e58770f2e0866c5d6fe4e2e446f9311_zps1955

As you can see needs a lot of work.

blandy

First job was to strip it completely

f2e546fd13c6d2bd633f6a1161b31e65_zpsbff6

b48c2e740a222c43a85338ce83f0b7c5_zpsd523

blandy

Thought with it being a track car it could do with a cage so ended up buying another rather sorry and rust ridden shell with a weld in cage which was cut from the car and welded into mine

bc61e15add1312e42e6efe1cdc2a7635_zpsaa5e

3e663392ea27c2dcddf1b02ffc12fa84_zps7d5c

efac6f3167b710b60966819d3c35b641_zps6b50

Also welded in some seat bars and mounted seat

88913f742e4159c11ffe77ef6b5ec125_zpsae24

blandy

Next step was to knock up a makeshift spray booth and give it a new colour, having never attempted anything like this I was unsure how it would go but after being quoted around £2k for a profesional job I thought if give it a go and am pleased with the results having only done the shell so far though

f82b8f48e22ef0d113023d606324e792_zpsa329

318ac1d866e8ad432bd14a7225fa07ad_zpsb347

Kane

Considering the condition of the original paintwork the shell itself looked to be in great condition! Paint job looks ace also. Good luck with the rest of your build.

nick205

Looks good so far.

Must be satisfying to have done the paint yourself and saved a wedge!

kyepan

nice one!

blandy

Yes definitely satisfying took a long time to prep etc but results were worth it in the end especially when its cost around £300 including the spray gun (already had compressor and old gazebo) and I have plenty of paint left for the remaining pannels

blandy

Finally got round to polishing my DIY respray that I did a month ago.

Here's a quick shot of the roof all shiny and clean pretty chuffed with the results

5C5B6CAF-65D7-4C37-80CF-66FBFF5CCAE9_zps

blandy

Also put some thin acoustic type carpet down on the floor and also on the inside of the roof to keep it a bit tidier as I had my 306 stripped out and painted inside and it looked awfull after a bit of use with scratches on the footwells etc so thought this would be a tidier option

johniban

looking good what process did you go through to spray the shell? i guessed you used 2k base colour through the gun?

i have noticed above your rear windows looks like its started to crack, did you not think about filling them in or not too bothered about it?

looks good though id be chuffed

blandy

I sprayed it in cellulose so done a couple of coats of filler/primer let it go off for a week and then preped and done 3 top coat layers which I then ran out of paint. Got some more paint 3 days later so sanded back a bit to get rid of a few imperfections and done another 4 coats.

To be honest I didn't want to fill it as the line is meant to be there and dnt want filler cracking at a later date. Yeah really pleased with the outcome especially now it's been polished up and especially at what it cost. Still gotta do the other panels yet though

boldy205

Nice project, and nice barn too!

Gman

Ditto above. Looks like far too nice of a barn to be used as a garage!

blandy

Lol the barn doesn't belong to me I just rent it with a friend (cheaply) off a guy I work with. Sometimes it helps to know the odd farmer.

rallyeash

Good work!

hudson

Looking good

blandy

Thanks

Haven't updated in a while been busy doing things but not making masses of progress but managed to start to clean and paint the engine

3410068733e71592b16f3d0d20c31a90_zps582b

Also painted the engine bay black

bc3b6a7da2b699c84ac73d61981c3138_zpse84a

And got my dash cut around the cage and fitted but will be comming back out for flocking

68f3e9001b3686b876718f4ac53edb07_zpse342

welshpug

I hate black engine bays, pita to work in, so dark! also look crap imo on a car that is not black :(

dobboy

agree with WP, should keep bay same colour as car.

blandy

Well I had issues with the paint adhering to the engine bay and this stuff is a lot more hard wearing and I done the same in my 306 and was happy with the results so hence doing it this time. Ideally yes I'd of originally liked it the same colour but by the time I'd preped it again and then spent out on more paint/primer etc it just wasn't worth it so I'm happier with it being black and tidy than a flaky white bay one that would look "crap"

GLPoomobile

I'm not usually one for a mismatched engine bay but I have to say it looks quite good having the contrast between the black bay and white body. Only for a track car though.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Emmy Seize

and the red block will stand out nicely....

blandy

Long time since a update but been busy on the car and finally got it running for the first time in my ownership. Not gappy with the engine wiring loom as concentrated on repairing and getting it to work so will redo a lot of it before finally fixing it in place for good. Same with the rad mounts and fan as need to get everything right so alot of trial and error but happy with progress

CC3190DF-06CB-415A-AF4A-67BE3A248FC5_zps

rallyeash

Looks a beast In that picture