Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Piper 285 Cam For Tu3S Fitting Experiences

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

tomcolinjones

tomcolinjones
  • Drivers
  • 694 posts

I'm awaiting delivery of a piper 285 camshaft, it will be going in my tu3s engine ready to drop in my trio.

has anyone on here had much experience with them? Do they require different pistons due to valve lift? Or will it go straight in with no issues? Head hasn't had a skim as far as I can tell.

and most importantly, how did it drive?

macaroni

macaroni
  • Drivers+
  • 789 posts
  • Name:Antony
Garage View Garage

I didn't use a Piper cam on my old TU3S, but a wild catcams rally cam, with no valve/piston issues.

Even a light skim is fine and recommended.

I had mine with a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, which felt fantastic.

I then ruined it with a big Weber carb, but that's another story!

N3VRAM

N3VRAM
  • Drivers
  • 178 posts
  • Name:Matt
Garage View Garage

I think a piper 285 is what i'm looking to go for with my XS engine. Hopefully someone has used one before and can answer some questions!

Kitch

Kitch
  • Drivers
  • 157 posts
  • Name:Rich

I used a Piper 285 in one of my other engines. and it was awful. Very aggressive ramp angles, so it clattered like hell, and it made barely any improvement on the dyno. Shifted the power band slightly high, but no more. Only cam I have experience with in the TU engine is the Newmans PH3 which I have in a TU5 8v lump, and I'm happy with that.

trogboy

trogboy
  • Drivers+
  • 529 posts

Thread from the dead!

N3VRAM

N3VRAM
  • Drivers
  • 178 posts
  • Name:Matt
Garage View Garage

I used a Piper 285 in one of my other engines. and it was awful. Very aggressive ramp angles, so it clattered like hell, and it made barely any improvement on the dyno. Shifted the power band slightly high, but no more. Only cam I have experience with in the TU engine is the Newmans PH3 which I have in a TU5 8v lump, and I'm happy with that.

Brilliant! I've went with the PH3, just waiting for it to arrive :D

conor2469

conor2469
  • Passengers
  • 11 posts
  • Name:Conor

Let us know how fitting goes and what it is like to drive. I am considering getting a cam for my XS.