Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Head Work

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Takentoxs

Takentoxs
  • Passengers
  • 17 posts
  • Name:Phil
Can anyone recommend a good place to get my tu3s breathed on. Ports, valve seats, balance and skim, usual stuff I guess unless I am missing something. An idea of cost would be helpful too.

johnnyboy666

johnnyboy666
  • Drivers
  • 2,068 posts
  • Name:John
Garage View Garage

Sandy on here is pretty much the TU guru, he can probably point you in the right direction.

juice willis

juice willis
  • Drivers
  • 47 posts
  • Name:tom
Sorry to highjack thread.. Looking into putting twin webers on my xs. Would it be worth putting a vtr 8v head on? Would there be any power gains? Mainly thinking of doing this for the wider availability of mods especially inlet manifold. Cheers

Sandy

Sandy
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,308 posts

Thanks for the nod, but I'm really stacked out at the moment and not really taking on headwork I'm afraid, however my pal Mark Shillaber might well be able to help. SRD Ltd, 01566778779.

And

And
  • Drivers
  • 122 posts
  • Name:Andrew
Garage View Garage

Sorry to highjack thread.. Looking into putting twin webers on my xs. Would it be worth putting a vtr 8v head on? Would there be any power gains? Mainly thinking of doing this for the wider availability of mods especially inlet manifold. Cheers

Only if you can up the compression back up so you would require Pistons, as not even a heavily skimmed head is enuf.

Edited by And, 30 September 2016 - 06:29 PM.

juice willis

juice willis
  • Drivers
  • 47 posts
perhaps I should just put a 16 valve in and be done :) tough decision as it's such a good engine. Finding any bits I would like for reasonable money for the tu3s is a pita though.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,072 posts
  • Name:Mei
the prices of parts for either engine when you start building proper competition types arent too different at all save for where you have double the camshafts and valves.

differences come when you set goals that are easier achieved with much milder tuning of a larger capacity engine tgat has more valvesm

juice willis

juice willis
  • Drivers
  • 47 posts
Good to know! The main thing is finding a reasonably priced weber manifold. About to ask in the wanted section!

juice willis

juice willis
  • Drivers
  • 47 posts
Managed to find 2 separate manifolds designed for the euro rallye, any idea if these would fit?

Wallby

Wallby
  • Drivers+
  • 313 posts
  • Name:Rhys

I don't think they will fit but I'm not 100%, the bolt pattern is different on the euro rallye head.

juice willis

juice willis
  • Drivers
  • 47 posts
Feared that was the case. There's someone on eBay selling tu3 weber manifolds for 300. Not sure how good they are but cheaper than getting a custom one I suppose. Still, pretty hefty pricetag.

NEMCA

NEMCA
  • Passengers
  • 14 posts
  • Name:Neil

You can buy the flange plate profiles for both carb side and manifold side from DAN ST engineering. You can get them in ally or mild steel and have someone make you a manifold.

juice willis

juice willis
  • Drivers
  • 47 posts

Thanks for that NEMCA, definitely considering going down this route, cheers.

And

And
  • Drivers
  • 122 posts
  • Name:Andrew
Garage View Garage
I would look at making as with a small angle up bank you can clear the engine mounting don't cut the mount down to 2 bolts as it will fail.. I remade my mount as well as the made the mainfold, never had a failure since apart from mk1 mount bent form a bad down shift mk2 no issues as was bulked up a bit more.

calvinhorse

calvinhorse
  • Drivers+
  • 1,779 posts
  • Name:Calvin
Tu3 and 1.3 Rallye inlet manifolds are different I'm afraid, the 1.3 is the same as a 1.1 head iirc

RossD

RossD
  • Drivers
  • 1,483 posts
  • Name:Ross

I'll be putting my TU engine up for sale soon, its got an SRD cylinder head, 645 catcam, custom RH mount, an inlet manifold made by Colin Satchell (And was used on Sandys own 205 Rallye) and I may also put the Throttle bodies in with the package too, depending on appetite. It's a 1.6, however it bolts straight in. Let me know if it interests you.... Check out my project thread for pictures.

juice willis

juice willis
  • Drivers
  • 47 posts
If the op isn't interested I definitely am.

juice willis

juice willis
  • Drivers
  • 47 posts
Am generally up for giving things a go but not sure about fabricating a manifold, perhaps with a bit of guidance. Have access to welding equipment though. Didn't know it was possible to clear the mount that's good to know.