• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MadeinWigan

1.4 Gtx Cutting Out

MadeinWigan

My Gtx starts fine and idles well but if left to idle it will just cut out. It then won't start and you can hear that the fuel pump isn't priming. After leaving it for a bit and trying again you can hear the fuel pump working and the car starts brilliantly.

Any ideas what could be causing it to do that, I've not got a clue!

Thanks

Gaz205

Have you looked at the pump to make sure all the connectors are fitted well. I'm no expert and please don't take this the wrong way but if you check your pump is getting a good power supply could the pump just be ready for replacement?

At least you've more than likely narrowed it down to the pump

MadeinWigan

Thanks. I've had a look at the pump and had a wiggle but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It seems that it kicks back into life after it's left for a bit rather than a bad connection if that makes sense.

Gaz205

So it's clearly delivering the correct pressure but intermittently, could you get a reading of the power being delivered to it? Could it be s*ite fuel that's running through it? A pressure test might help and if that's strong it's gonna be a fault inside the pump.

Might be worth checking all your fuel lines while you're there

MadeinWigan

Not sure. It seems very consistent. It will start fine, run normally for a minute or two and then just die. Try and start it again and you can hear that the fuel pump isn't priming.

After leaving it again, sometimes I wiggle the connector on the fuel pump during this time, but not every time, it fires up and runs normally but the yellow engine light comes on.

Maybe a safety shut down?

MadeinWigan

Just playing with it again. I've taken a video and it is inconsistent as to whether the fuel pump primes. When the yellow engine light is lit the fuel pump primes and you can hear the relay but when it doesn't light up there is no sound from the relay. Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/xGgz0It8Bh8

jackherer

I'm not familiar with the GTX but I would have thought the engine management light should come on then go off every time you turn the ignition on so it looks like you have bad power feeds to the ECU. Does that model have a double relay for the ECU and fuel pump by any chance? Similar to later models have bv000011.jpg

MadeinWigan

Hmm, is that the connector to the eco?

Looking at mine it looks like a black one.

jackherer

No, that's a double relay from a later model such as a 306. Like I said I'm not familiar with the GTX but I think it was really late in 205 production wasn't it?

Hopefully someone who is familiar with the GTX will post in this thread to let us know what type engine management and fuel pump relay it uses.

MadeinWigan

Helps if I read what you put! I'll have another look.

MadeinWigan

I think you may just have solved it for me. I found the relays, one brown and one green, at the back passenger side of the engine bay in a black box.

I had the engine running and started messing with the relays and the just moving them made the car cut out. I think that it is the green relay that is responsible, maybe a bad contact. I've adjusted the contacts and it has behaved itself so far. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

jackherer

Those two relays sound very similar to the ones used on a 1.9 Mi16 engine, they often suffer from similar problems with the contacts for them as they are in the engine bay and exposed to vibration, moisture and corrosion etc. One relay will probably be for the fuel injector power supply and the other will be for the fuel pump. The injector relay may power the ECU too which could explain why you sometimes see the engine management light and sometimes don't. And because the ECU triggers the fuel pump relay if the ECU relay fails the ECU goes off and the fuel pump relay goes off too.

I use this stuff to keep exposed electrical connectors working - https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/827/category/154 - it's expensive but it does what it claims.

MadeinWigan

Looks like good stuff, worth the money.