• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[trackday_prep] Cameron's Mi16 / Gti6 Hybrid

Cameron

I don't really like the idea of lowering the track rod end, as it's going to put a big lever on it and encourage flex unless you really beef it up. I think raising the rack is the most plausible thing as I can modify the subframe or make some sort of bolt-on bracket, just depends whether the steering column can clear the pedals etc.

Spiky

surely it's easier tyo make something like this? than to move rack and all sorts?

just rose joint the ends

bump-steer-mk2-002_large.jpg

Cameron

It would be easier, but I don't really like the idea of it.. You can see how beefy they've had to make the extender bit, and that's then going to twist the old steering arm so you'll get flex etc. If it turns out to be the only way of doing it then fair enough, but I'd like to see whether there's anything else that can be done first.

Batfink

Will a raised steering rack foul the exhaust manifold?

Batfink

Will a raised steering rack foul the exhaust manifold?

Cameron

Not sure to be honest, I think there's enough room for it.. I think I'd probably have problems with the gear linkages before the manifold.

EdCherry

and the chassis rails.

Cameron

We'll see how it goes. If I absolutely can't move the rack then I may look into modifying the hubs.. depends if the casting is good to weld to or not. Extended BJ pins are going to be an absolute last resort.

EdCherry

I understand all your concerns and trying to make the geometry better, join the club!

Ive got a couple of drawings and measurement's myself. Bumpsteer is one of the first things im going to press ahead and remove but havn't worked out anything yet, my only fear was in full compression that only moving the rack would mean the arms hit the rails, I reckon with a combination of both to make things simple and get around some clearance issues we'd be onto a winner.

Cameron

Yeah I think you're probably right about the chassis rails, and the more I look back through pics of my subframe the more I think raising the rack is going to cause no end of problems. :lol: I need to get under the car and have a proper good look, I think that's probably something for next weekend.

ash mi16

awesome build dude :D wish i could build someting like this :)

Cameron

Woo thread revival! :lol:

Thanks ash, this build is now finished and the car is being sold off. My latest build is in my sig. :D

ash mi16

did you put it on tb's?

welshpug

did you put it on tb's?

did you read the thread?

Baz

Course not!! He only needs 30 posts. :lol:

Fernando Martins

I do!

dcc

Hes post hunting