• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AdamP

Spring / Damper Advice

AdamP

I'm converting the RG to GTi subframe and arb, however I've found today what I half suspected since I bought the subframe, my base model struts don't have the ARB mounts on them.

My current setup is Spax PSX dampers and springs, 24mm rear ARB, 18.9mm GTi torsion bars, and the subframe has 309 wishbones and a 17mm GTi ARB.

I have a few options:

1) Run without the ARB. Is this likely to make is undriveable in the wet? I could swap out the rear ARB for the standard 16mm one or find a 19mm GTi one for use in the wet (car is used for hillclimbs).

2) I could get hold of some old GTi dampers and replace the insides with my spax dampers, assuming they use inserts (anyone know if they do?).

3) Replace with exquivilent spax GTi dampers at £60 each.

Opinions on each?

Cheers, Adam.

philfingers

Don't think the std GTi inserts can be changed so (subject to me bieng proved wrong that is out)

bite the bullet and buy the Spax unit's or some std Pug ones?

Not sure about the 24mm ARB without a front one. if so drop the 19mm rear one in?

If it were me I'd flog the current front legs and buy some GTi spec ones. You haven't mentioned the Hubs. I'm not familiar with not GTi parts but will the GTi struts fit the hubs you have, if so what about shafts and brakes?

GLPoomobile

Can't you just make up some brackets for the drop links to bolt to, and weld them on to the struts, just like GTI ones?

AdamP
Can't you just make up some brackets for the drop links to bolt to, and weld them on to the struts, just like GTI ones?

Got any pictures of them?

James_R

use some Gti-6 dampers?

welshpug

use dampers that have the ARB droplink tab, unless you have dampers with removable inserts you would risk cooking the innards if you tried to weld a tab on.

M_R_205

bithe bite the bullet or try welding some mounts on (but strip them down first to reduce any damage)

And for refrance, gti and non gti struts are interchangable with gti and non gti hubs.

Paul.

AdamP

Mind mind is wandering.

If I'm forking out £120 for shocks, I might as well go the whole hog and get GAZ adjustables. And that means I probably want the rears as well, and thats going to be £300 so I might as well go for the full GHA coilovers and that's all my money gone.

Dammit, where do you stop with these bloody cars?

M@tt

i've got some good condition genuine peugeot GTI6/Xsara dampers for sale if your interested.

Rippthrough

Or weld a tab on the wishbone and use some little MX5 droplinks <_<

AdamP
Or weld a tab on the wishbone and use some little MX5 droplinks <_<

Interesting! Any links to info?