• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Noisy Cambelt At Idle

davey205

recently had it done it sorta whirs with the pug breathing at idle when the revs go low, anything to worry about ?

Edited by davey205

Tom Fenton

If it is whining it has been overtensioned, take it back.

davey205
If it is whining it has been overtensioned, take it back.

damn ok thanks ill get a video up in a min its hard to explain but it definately sounds like its coming from cambelt area

Edited by davey205

boombang

As soon as you let it idle it sounds to tight. Can hear the over-tightening in the background as you rev it towards end of the video.

Ethos

What are the issues with having it slightly too tight? Mine whines a bit when hot...

welshpug

premature belt, tensioner, and water pump wear, and altered cam timing.

davey205
premature belt, tensioner, and water pump wear, and altered cam timing.

my pug man closed today :-( can i do it myself or is it better leave to professional ?

richsmells

You can do it yourself. It's covered in the haynes book.

You'll need to remove the cam cover and adjust the tensioner, nip it up and re-check the belt tension. Your car probably has the eccentric roller tensioner fitted. Following advice from here, I've done it so you can just about twist the belt 90 degrees on the longest run.

Edited by richsmells

davey205
You can do it yourself. It's covered in the haynes book.

You'll need to remove the cam cover and adjust the tensioner, nip it up and re-check the belt tension. Your car probably has the eccentric roller tensioner fitted. Following advice from here, I've done it so you can just about twist the belt 90 degrees on the longest run.

hmm sounds like id be touching cloth worrying id make it too loose damn my incompetantness ! :-(

petesy71

sorry for reopening an old topic, but was wondering was the belt too tight davey? mines making the exact same noise but i've got the older spring tensioner.

Simes

I did mine whilst the engine was out. Finally firing it up and I have this sound too.

grrrr

petesy71
I did mine whilst the engine was out. Finally firing it up and I have this sound too.

grrrr

hi simes, do you reckon it's the tension or something else?

cheers,pete.

Simes
hi simes, do you reckon it's the tension or something else?

cheers,pete.

Maybe, mine wasn't making that noise before I changed the belt.

stufarri
Maybe, mine wasn't making that noise before I changed the belt.

It's not catching on the pastic cambelt cover is it - they distort with the heat I'm told and then the cambelt wears it away but the noise will remain for some time until it's worn a groove in the cover?

Just a thought.

Simes

yeah, I was thinking it sounded like that too.

Masekwm

I had a metalic rattle after fitting a new belt, I checked and checked the tension but couldn't get rid of it. It turned out to be the metal cam belt cover rattling :P

fast_eddie

I have always felt like my cambelt sounded too tight. It was never quantified but the engine made very good power, reved to 8k often and was completly standard. Not saying that it did not cause any damage but if you are unsure then get it checked properly!

Sign in to follow this