• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
thirdtimelucky

205 4wd Got A Whine

thirdtimelucky

Took my 205 4wd for its maiden voyage last night all seems ok apart from a whine from the front (gearbox or transfer) it sounds like a gear wine but not as harsh and is fairly loud it does it from low speeds and and gets faster and louder with road speed. Its only does it when there is no load on the box eg. between accelerating and deaccelerating when the clutch is down or its out of gear. having trouble repeting it up on the lift so cant pin point it.

Im going to run it about to do some testing before i take the box out in case it takes a couple of weeks to find bits because the eurotrip is getting very close and I dont want to run out of testing time.

Any sugestions :)

Paul

DrSarty

I hope you get it sorted Paul.

I'm no transmission expert, but I think the priority is to isolate whether it's the gearbox (incl diff & clutch) or the t-box. The only way I can think of doing this is getting her up on one of those ramps that supports the sills/chassis and leaves the wheels free. Perhaps that way someone could 'drive' the car to at least locate the source of the noise.

After that, you can use the time more efficiently to see if it's a clutch installation/surface/thrust bearing issue, a g-box or g-box fluid issue, a noisy diff or something separate going on in the t-box.

Good luck. Build it and they will come. Find it, and you can fix it. :)

thirdtimelucky

Thanks Rich, the whine from the front seems ok now ive done a few miles, the boxes had been sitting with no oil in them for 6 years may have been some spiders in there somewere causing the noise :lol: done 40 miles in it today handles real well and all workes as it should only problem is on the way home the rear dif started to whine :D Ive got a spare so ill swap it tomorrow night. Im going attempt the south meet tomorrow 150 mile round trip, that will be a good test.

Paul

Sam

Remember if the engine/gearbox/rear diff is solidly mounted you will get much more whine transferred through the chassis.

thirdtimelucky
Remember if the engine/gearbox/rear diff is solidly mounted you will get much more whine transferred through the chassis.

The rear dif is solid the front is group N but the noise is more than i would expect, I need someone with experience to have a lisen cos I don't think it should be this loud.

Sign in to follow this