• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dk73

Dash Clock Change?

dk73
:D Please can some one go through what i have to do to change the clocks, im installing new ones , 205 gti 1992.

hengti

it's fairly straight-forward but can look a little daunting, as you've five multiplugs at the back of the binnacle

someone will surely post a good step-by-step, but it might be in Haynes in the meantime - need to remove the binnacle surround (after having removed some of the other plastics on the top of the dash 'iirc'), then the binnacle is held in with a screw either side and stands on lugs that fit into grommets. good idea to label the five plugs before disconnecting them, although they may only fit back into their own sockets anyway (can't recall)

hengti

and the speedo cable, which is a push/pull fit. putting it back together's more of a prob, due to the short length of speedo cable you've got to play with

dk73
and the speedo cable, which is a push/pull fit. putting it back together's more of a prob, due to the short length of speedo cable you've got to play with

Your a jem pal, i will be trying soon got some clocks 68,000, so as shes had a load of work on her since nov 08, including a minter of an engine off the forum, and my old clocks say 124,000 so she deserves it, will post pics very soon. :D

Rom

The plugs will only go on in one place. Well, ive never managed to get them wrong anyway ! Im pretty sure you cant without forcing / braking something.

This is as well as i remember....

Pull off the heater control dials - Remove screws behind - Remove surround

Remove Coin tray - Clips in iirc - Remove triangular blank above it

Remove screws from behind the tray, blank, and surround.

Undo small torx (15 or 20?) from the side of the clock surround, looking in from drivers side. It wont come out, just undoes.

Under steering shroud - undo 2 screws - think its the ones nearest the wheel, and furthest apart. These attach the shroud to the clock surround.

The clock surround should now come off. There 2 or 3 claw type clips on the top side, near where it meets the dash. They normally pop out as you pull the surround off.

There 2 screws at the top of the clocks (dont think theres any at bottom) - remove them.

Clocks should tilt forward a little and lift upwards, there are 2 pegs at the bottom retaining it.

Remove all connectors - Take a pic from outside through screen if your worried about locations.

Remove speedo cable - It has 2 tags which attach it to the speedo head. A good tug normally release it.

Hope i havent missed any steps...

Oh, and i have pushed the speedo cable through from the engine bay slightly before, to allow some more room.. then pull it back afterwards.

Edited by Rom

chrisj21

It's fairly simple but as said above can look puzzleing.

1, remove the centre air vent which should just pull out

2, remove the three heater control knobs and there are two screws holding on the heater control cover the pull out.

3, pop out the coin tray, if you look underneath the tray you will see some clips you need to push in to release it, the same for the small trangular piece above the coin tray.

4, you will the have access to all 5 screws on the left side of the speedo surround, two behind the heater controls,two behind the coin tray and one behind the small triangular piece.

5, then theres just one on the right hand side which is a torx head, you need the drivers door open for this and you will see a small hole where the surround meets the main dash, the screw doesn't come all the way out you just loosen it of.

6, you should then be able to pull of the speedo surround and move it to left hand side to get around the steering wheel.

7, on to the clocks, there are just two screws securing this to the main dash,remove these.

8, unplug the wiring taking note of where they go, you shold the be able to pull the clocks up and towards you and the speedo cable should pop off.

Job done, refitting is the reverse of removal just taking care to ensure the speedo cable is attached, in my experiance you shouldn't need to attach the speedo cable first when refitting it should just pop on,on its own when pushing the clocks into place. Also take care refitting the coin tray, ifind opening and pushing it on from the inside is best to ensure you dont brake the holding spring clip.

Hope that helps

Chris

Beet me :D:P:(

Edited by chrisj21

dk73

Thanks for all the detailed advice. Its just what I was after.

Will let you know how I get on.......

:D

wildejon

I've done a few of these now, I tend to push the speedo cable though from under the bonnet a little to give me a bit more freedom, thought that might help.

dk73
:ph34r: Please can some one go through what i have to do to change the clocks, im installing new ones , 205 gti 1992.

Oh yes more feed back the better, nice 1. :)