• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SweetBadger

Renewing Tired Standard Suspension

SweetBadger

Apoligies for the long post in advance, I've been searching around for the best economical way to refresh the front suspension on my MI and need a bit of advice...

It's still on the original 87k suspension apart from the bottom arms. It's knocking like buggery on the n/s only over rough ground/small sucessive bumps, the top mounts groan when I turn the wheel, my steering rack has play and speed bumps also make the front end grind/groan (arb bushes?).

Despite all this it still drives/breaks straight and handles fine when giving it some, and I really like the way it handles (very predictable & controllable on the throttle mid corner) so I'd like to keep it as close to OE spec as possible.

The only play I can find is in the rack (getting really bad) although I got an advisary on the last MOT about the wishbone bushes so that'll need checking out.

So far I've put together the following:

- New top mount bearings (Euro car parts/GSF)

- New arb bushes (Pug?)

- Possibly new drop links (Euro car parts/GSF)

- New/recon steering rack (Euro car parts/GSF or good S/H one)

- New hub pinch bolts as I didn't replace them when I did the bottom arms.

The rear beam hasn't been touched but has no camber/play and makes no untoward noises so I'm going to leave that well alone! I may fit a set of K6 rear dampers, if anything.

Anyone got anything to add to the above list?

I'm a bit stumped on which front dampers to go for, obviously genuine Pug ones would be preferable but they're bloody expensive so I've come up with the following options:

- Bilstein B4 (streetline) 205 Gti (model code 741A/C) - supposedly slighter better than Pug OE ones

or

- Bilstein B4s for the GTi6 (model code 7A; 7C; N3; N5) - still fit a 205? A better option than the 205 ones?

I've read on here that the GTi6 ones will give a slight increase in performance over the 205 ones. Is that true?

Anyone disagree withthe above or have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Baz

Looks good to me! I wouldn't bother with streetlines though, certainly the rears are worse than OE. Gti6 stuff is a nice upgrade over std retaining a nice comfy ride.

Whack some new ball joint bolts on too if they haven't been replaced recently, aswel as measure the ball joint holes in the hub as these oval.

welshpug

if you have time to leave the car off the road for a few days I would certainly have a crack at the beam.

Top mount bearings, GSF, £9.50 each, N45710 (dont aqsk for a 205 strut top bearing, they dont list them separately, even thou8gh it says on the bag they're for a 205 :lol: )

Get some BBM rubbers to go with the new bearings.

ARB Bushes, unlikely these need changing TBH, but yes pug is the best place for them,

Drop Links you can get Lemforder from ECP if you ask for them, and I think the GSF supplied ones will be a similar brand.

Steering Rack, I got a Lemforder one from GSF a few years ago, IIRC it had new TRE's, also worth checking your lower steering column, these are prone to seizing up..

if your wishbone bushes are shot but the balljoints good, you can get a kit from Peugeot with all nuts and bolts and all 4 bushes for about £20.

As for dampers I find the Streetline fronts perfectly adequate, coupled with the 5206K6 Peugeot O.E rears.

Anthony
The rear beam hasn't been touched but has no camber/play and makes no untoward noises so I'm going to leave that well alone! I may fit a set of K6 rear dampers, if anything.

That's a good reason to do it now, while it will (hopefully) be a straightforward job that's not too expensive! Start leaving them until they're showing signs of death and it's a significantly more expensive with knackered shafts and beamtubes

K6 (306 GTi-6) rear dampers are a good choice, and probably the best "budget" option out there - night and day better than Streetline rubbish!

SweetBadger

Cheers for the replys, part numbers too! Nice one :D

I'll get ordering tomorrow...

Think I may aswell go for the GTi6 front dampers as they're only about £2 more than the 205 ones - £52 each from Euro Car Parts.

Regards the rear beam, I know it would be wise to have a go at refurbing it sooner rather than later but, unfortunately I no longer have anywhere to work on the pug for any length of time (central london on-street parking :mellow: ) and I use it as my daily drive so it'll have to wait for the time being. Hopefully it'll be ok until I get the a bit of time off work and can nick one of my family/friends garage space for a few days...

Even though I'm quite confident now with working on cars in general, having rebuilt the MI & done the engine conversion on my 205, the rear beam still looks like a pain in the ass job to tackle...

Watch out for the wanted ad for a rebuilt rear beam some time next year :lol: ...

Miles

It's a shame Pug don;t do Rack's any more as when you use one of there's it really is night and day differance between the cheap pattern one's, I think the cheap ones are only around £25.00

Rippthrough

Have to agree there, I've had to shim two cheap racks up for people now after they'd bought them and they'd got a bit of play around dead ahead.

They always feel a bit notchy imo until you strip them down and grease them properly too.

SweetBadger

Hmm, bit of a worry about the rack - the non-pas ones from gsf are more like £60 exchange... Maybe that means they'll be reconditioned pug ones?

Not much choice at the mo if pug don't do them anymore. I could wait for a good used rack but mine has only done 87k is knackered and that's fairly low milage for a 205 these days...

Sergio205
Cheers for the replys, part numbers too! Nice one :lol:

I'll get ordering tomorrow...

Think I may aswell go for the GTi6 front dampers as they're only about £2 more than the 205 ones - £52 each from Euro Car Parts.

Regards the rear beam, I know it would be wise to have a go at refurbing it sooner rather than later but, unfortunately I no longer have anywhere to work on the pug for any length of time (central london on-street parking :wub: ) and I use it as my daily drive so it'll have to wait for the time being. Hopefully it'll be ok until I get the a bit of time off work and can nick one of my family/friends garage space for a few days...

Even though I'm quite confident now with working on cars in general, having rebuilt the MI & done the engine conversion on my 205, the rear beam still looks like a pain in the ass job to tackle...

Watch out for the wanted ad for a rebuilt rear beam some time next year :) ...

What is GTi6 dampers? Excuse my ignorance but I am from Russia and I am not confident that we ever had GTi6 oficially available on our market. Are GTi6 dampers from Pug 306? Is it true that they fit front end? I heard and read on this forum about installing them on the rear only. Thanks.

SweetBadger
What is GTi6 dampers? Excuse my ignorance but I am from Russia and I am not confident that we ever had GTi6 oficially available on our market. Are GTi6 dampers from Pug 306? Is it true that they fit front end? I heard and read on this forum about installing them on the rear only. Thanks.

Yes, the GTi6 front shocks are from the 306 GTi6.

From what I've read they should fit the 205 with no problems. The position of the drop link where it connects to the damper differs but still fits...

I've also read that the GTi6 dampers don't have the holders for the front break flexis, can anyone confirm this?

paul205mi16

My GTi6 front dampers dont have the holders for the brake pipe

Sergio205
My GTi6 front dampers dont have the holders for the brake pipe

Don't them change the ride height? 205 front end is lighter in comparison w/306 one isn't it? I have non gti Peugeot 205 and I am going to swap 1.1 TU engine with XU5J from Phase 1 GTI - will 306 dampers be a good upgrade for the suspension? Won't I end up with Off-road look after I have GTi6 dampersinstalled?

It would be great if someone has photos of Pug 205 with GTi6 dampers.

SweetBadger
Don't them change the ride height? 205 front end is lighter in comparison w/306 one isn't it? I have non gti Peugeot 205 and I am going to swap 1.1 TU engine with XU5J from Phase 1 GTI - will 306 dampers be a good upgrade for the suspension? Won't I end up with Off-road look after I have GTi6 dampersinstalled?

It would be great if someone has photos of Pug 205 with GTi6 dampers.

If you keep the springs from 205 the ride height will not change

Sergio205
If you keep the springs from 205 the ride height will not change

Are GTI6 dampers stiffer then 205 ones? Can them be combined with lowered spring (-25 mm for example?)

SweetBadger
Are GTI6 dampers stiffer then 205 ones? Can them be combined with lowered spring (-25 mm for example?)

Yes the GTi6 dampers are a little stiffer than the 205 ones.

Best to get confirmation off someone who's fitted them to a 205 with lowering springs, but I would have thought they'd be fine.

Sergio205
Yes the GTi6 dampers are a little stiffer than the 205 ones.

Best to get confirmation off someone who's fitted them to a 205 with lowering springs, but I would have thought they'd be fine.

Thanks!