• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
macaroni

Wheel Weights, Surprising Result.

macaroni

I've read elsewhere that Cyclones are heavier than Speedlines, but I have to disagree.

I've been sorting myself out with a decent set of trackday wheels/tyres and have ended up with a complete set of Speedlines, SMRs and Cyclones all clad in Toyo T1-Ss.

Weighing them on a set of extremely accurate (!) bathroom scales, the Speedlines and SMRs both come in at 16kg and the Cyclones are 15kg.

I measured them all and the results were consistent +/- 10g.

So although the Cyclones are lighter, the SMRs look better on a gti, so which set to keep?

Will that weight difference be noticeable anywhere, even coming down Paddock Hill at Brands?

jimistdt

From what I have read on here and several other places, 1Kg of unsprung weight is equivalent to 10Kg of sprung mass.

Based on the weights, according to that theory, it will be the difference of half a passenger .

One way to find out for sure would be to run back-to-back with the different wheel combos, and get the Myth busted, or not!

number2301

If you want to go for lightweight track wheels why not source a set of the C5 (alloy) steelies at 4.9Kgs a corner? If you're going to do it you may as well do it properly!

macaroni

I'd love to, but where does one acquire such wheels these days?

Anteas

scrap yard

Baz

1kg of unsprung weight is like 4kgs of sprung weight...

dunc

If I recall correctly cyclones are centreless wheels.

Dunc.

Baz

They are yes.

Pretty sure most of the weights are in the 'definitive weights' thread.

kyepan

they should be yes...!!

jengis
If I recall correctly cyclones are centreless wheels.

Dunc.

Mine have solid centres. It's mentioned a lot on the 306 GTi-6/rallye forum that crappy tyre places can't balance cyclones, perhaps because they can't centre the adaptor on the machine?

I dont think they look right on 205's either.

number2301

I don't think Cyclones look right on 205s, they look fantastic on 106s though and give you a decent choice of tyres.

I'd love to, but where does one acquire such wheels these days?

I seem to remeber a thread discussing them saying that you can get them from Citroen for not an awful lot of money. Have a search, it's a massive thread.

Galifrey

How do the steels affect brake cooling?

I know a few people who tried steels on their track day cars and whilst it improved the handling over bumps, they had issues with the brakes overheating, and eventually switched back to alloys to improve the airflow.

I guess if brake heat was marginal already this could have an impact? Road use I doubt it would ever be an issue tho

:blush:

dunc
that crappy tyre places can't balance cyclones, perhaps because they can't centre the adaptor on the machine?

Yes that is correct, basically they clamp the wheel with a threaded post that goes right through the wheel on the balancer. If there's not a hole there then they obviously can't do this. They need to use a stud pattern adapter instead and bolt it on like a car wheel basically.

Dunc.

Rippthrough
How do the steels affect brake cooling?

I know a few people who tried steels on their track day cars and whilst it improved the handling over bumps, they had issues with the brakes overheating, and eventually switched back to alloys to improve the airflow.

I guess if brake heat was marginal already this could have an impact? Road use I doubt it would ever be an issue tho

:ph34r:

It's not just the airflow, the alloys themselves act as a big heatsink as the transfer heat so much better, so C5 'steelies' probably aren't so bad.

swordfish210

I bought some C5 "steelies" from Peugeot. I used the part number that GLP quoted in his thread "Compiling info on steel wheels" and they were there the day after i ordered them. They're fantastic wheels on track and they improved the steering response of the car greatly and it rode the bumps of Llandow much better than the speedlines (yes i did compare both on the same day) I found no issue with brake overheating

They were quite pricy though, £230 for all 4 iirc

Galifrey
they improved the steering response of the car greatly

People often forget that a wheel when turning becomes a big gyroscope, have you ever tried to steer a gyroscope!

Its one reason why bikers countersteer (push the steering the opposite to the direction they want to go).

Using lighter wheels reduces this affect.

:)

Nrj
If you want to go for lightweight track wheels why not source a set of the C5 (alloy) steelies at 4.9Kgs a corner? If you're going to do it you may as well do it properly!

could someone put a pic up of these so i know what they look like,

cheers.

swordfish210
could someone put a pic up of these so i know what they look like,

cheers.

I can get a better pic at the weekend if i can dig them out the back of my garage but for now..........

333-3.jpg

Edited by swordfish210

Cloverleaf
20032009098.jpg

swordfish210

Thats better :) Massive tyre on it though :(

Cloverleaf

Yeah, standard C5 tyre, 205/65-15! :(

They're not fitted anymore though :)

swordfish210

Good stuff. Mine are wrapped in some rather worn A048's. I found, even with those heavy assed tyres, they were lighter than a bare speedline :(

Galifrey
20032009098.jpg

ARGH my eyes hurt... Now I know why I bought OZ Superleggeras

:(

welshpug

I can't wait to get hold of some PE2's for my set, one of my wheels has a Michelin on it and it feels lighter than the worn R888's!

swordfish210
ARGH my eyes hurt... Now I know why I bought OZ Superleggeras

:(

Function over form :);)