• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GSXR_J

Speedlines Or Smr's?

GSXR_J

Ok, so Ive got a 89' 1.6 and just bought 5 1.9 alloys to refurb for total of £50. Good buy or bad buy? :P 4 being SMR's and one being a speedline. They all need refurbing due to bubbling paint and kurbing etc...

So Im now thinking do I wait and try find some good quality speedlines and sell the smr's on fleebay or just pay for a refurb on the ones ive got already?

I know the speedlines are lighter but do i really need to lose around 1kg a corner? Its not like i'll be using it on track or something!!! But I do like the thought of having speedlines! Am I daft for wanting to change just because there speedlines? :D

I thought Id kick up a debate on the issue and find out who if anyone has swapped just because of the name and what people genally think!

Give us your thoughts...could rumble on into a long sensible discussion! :huh:

boombang

Personally I'd have stayed with the 14" 1.6 alloys.

GSXR_J

Still running around on them, whilst having plenty of tread on! But could that open up another can...is it sensible to keep the car looking authentic and as real to the day it left the factory or swap because of personal preference? Hummmm wondering about so many modifications????? :D

I dont mind the pepperpots but like the 1.9's better though!

andyjstone

All comes down to personal preference really, but I have to admit that I originally had a mix of SMR, Speedline and some other dodgy copy on mine and I found a set of Speedlines and has them refurbed, but that's just because when it comes to the 205 I have a touch of OCD and want everything perfect - they actually don't look any different.

Atari Boy

I prefer the 1.9 wheels also. The Italian ones are as you said 1kg lighter which will help with unsprung weight and I am led to believe stronger also.

I have two sets of 1.9 wheels, SMR’s for road and Italian ones for track.

andyjstone
I have two sets of 1.9 wheels, SMR’s for road and Italian ones for track.

Me too, except I don't realy use it much on the road apart from getting to the track and the odd meet, so I have Speedlines for the semi-slicks and SMRs for the wets.

shalmaneser

Maybe it was the crap tyres but the 14" annoyed me - it felt as if i could feel the sidewall deforming as i went into a corner, they weren't positive enough.

Everyone bangs on about the 14" wheels giving the better ride, but i didn't buy my 205 for the ride quality, damnit!

as far as the speedline vs. SMR debate goes, just wack on the wheels you have ATM, you'll not notice the difference unless you drive on the track alot, and a nice set of refurbed 1.9 wheels will go for good money on Ebay if you decide you really need Speedlines at a later date.

GSXR_J

Yep i think I can echo the vagueness of the 14's, am certainly going to go for the 15's but just cant decide weather its worth time hassel and more money to source some top quality speedlines!

Guess its just a name at the end of the day...but a good one at that!!! Oh decisions decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who here really looks at the alloys of others and thinks it matters??? And whats the split on speedlines and smrs? i.e. Are smrs more common? Were speedlines produced for a limited time? Not really sure of the background if anyone can fill me in!

Cheers! ;)

Galifrey

Some sidewalls do deform under hard cornering, ie over the limit, but a tyre with a decent sidewall won't give huge issues on a car of this weight, and will break away more progressively (generally) than an equivalent low profile in my experience.

If the tyre feels vague under corner entry, could well be the tyre choice.

With 14-15 inch changes a 13mm reduction in sidewall won't make a huge difference, but you can find some better tyre options with 15 inch.

I am using the Falken 912's on my 14's and they feel great so far, but its been very wet ;)

lemmingzappa

I haven't noticed any difference between the two for daily road use, but i've gone for all speedlines now just so they match.

I can also recommend Falken 912's.

GSXR_J

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm anyone want some smrs to refurb???? ;)

Baz

Tbh there really is FA noticable difference in it.

And a tenner a wheel is cheap IMO.

weejp

Hi, yes I've been through the whole Speedline versus SMR and the 14" versus 15" debates too.

It's was speedlines that won for me, even though I had 5 good SMR and only 4 speedlines, just had to go for the seemingly more sought after speedlines. In answer to one of your questions - yes I do look at other 205's wheels to see what make they are - but I'm just a tad OCD with little details, as another poster mentioned too. So currently on the car are a freshly refurbed set of speedlines and a good set of SMR's as spare.

Not sure what condition your 14" are in but I reckon the stock look on the 1.6 is not to be sniffed at - I swap between the 2 myself - although I think I have at least 1 buckled 14" wheel which are a combination of SMR(4) and Speedline(1). A future job will be to get an unbuckled set of 14" refurbed too.

Can anyone tell me if wheel refurbishers can do the original look of the 14" wheels - you know with the sort of polished centre area?

Baz
Can anyone tell me if wheel refurbishers can do the original look of the 14" wheels - you know with the sort of polished centre area?

Of course they can!