• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rallyvan

Alternater (306 Td)

Rallyvan

Right the problem is that the battery light on constantly whilst the engine is running, the alt seems to be charging ok because i still have power to start the car, the more i rev the car the dimmer the battery light gets and if i use full beam the light goes off altogether :lol: I know there's nothing wrong with the alt because i have replaced this and no different. Iv also tryed a different battery and the light still comes on the dash and does the exact same thing. Im kinda running out of ideas although wiring is not really my thing.

Please can anyone shed light on this?

welshpug

I'd check the main transmission to battery and body earths.

Have you checked what voltage you have?

I am in the middle of replacing an alternator on my Sisters VW Transporter, that stated perfectly fine without any charge from the alternator at all as it has a powerful battery.

Rallyvan
I'd check the main transmission to battery and body earths.

Have you checked what voltage you have?

I am in the middle of replacing an alternator on my Sisters VW Transporter, that stated perfectly fine without any charge from the alternator at all as it has a powerful battery.

Checked it and it was 14 amps? (if amps is right?) Whats it ment to be?

welshpug

should be around 14v yes, have you checked the earths?

Rallyvan
should be around 14v yes, have you checked the earths?

no havent checked the earths, where are these located? i no the one on top of the gearbox but is there any others i should be checking?

Edited by Rallyvan

Rallyvan

The battery is now over charging at high 15's, i have checked the earths, all ok. Someone mentioned something about a voltage regulator for the alternator, what is this? wheres it located?

Cheers

Anthony

Voltage regulator is part of the alternator.

Rallyvan
Voltage regulator is part of the alternator.

Does this mean i need a new alternator or is it a replacement part?

welshpug

More often than not its cheaper to replace the unit than replace all the faulty parts.

IF its just the regulator most seem to be around the £20 mark, though if you need any more parts fitting then it is more viable to fit a new unit, for example GSF list an 80- amp 306 TD alternator for just £45 + vat, in most cases that is on an exchange basis where you either pay a refundable surcharge upon return of the old unit, or simply give them the old unit as you collect the replacement.