• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pacmannewry

Engine Number

pacmannewry

Quick question, I am trying to source an exhaust and I need to know my engine type. I'm led to believe it is a 1.9 in a 1.6 car and I know it is stamped somewhere on it but does anyone have a quick photo of where so that I can establish it once and for all?

Thanks

pug_ham

There should be a small silver plate with a black box on the top of the block by the r/h upper engine mount next to the front of the cylinder head but they are known to fall off.

Roughly somewhere around the area indicatd by the arrow;

post-71-1266936801.jpg

Your looking for a three digit code, which for a 1.9 should be D6B if you have a 1.9 engine fitted.

Graham.

pacmannewry

Thanks Graham, I suspect mine has broken off in the past. Is it stamped on the cylinder head or elsewher on the block. And what engine type does D6B then equate to? XU9JA, XU9J1 or XU9JAZ (or is there any difference)?

DrSarty

Blue injectors = 1.6

Yellow = 1.9

Here are the engine codes. (Useful link too - scroll down to the pretty colours)

Also, if you can find the Bosch part number on the AFM and it ends in ...202, then you have the low comp, DKZ 1.9 engine. A 1.6 AFM will be ...056 and a full fat 1.9 8v will be ...109.

Edited by DrSarty

pacmannewry

Thanks DS - my injectors are yellow which bears out the 1.9 engine bit.

Works firewall won't let me access the links but that'll have to do for later.

Cheers

Paddy

pug_ham
Thanks Graham, I suspect mine has broken off in the past. Is it stamped on the cylinder head or elsewher on the block. And what engine type does D6B then equate to? XU9JA, XU9J1 or XU9JAZ (or is there any difference)?

D6B equates to the XU9JA, the others will all have a different engine code as shown in the links etc Rich posted.

Unfortunaterly the engine id (not engine number, thats on a seperate plate next to this one) isn't stamped anywhere else on the block or head & simply having yellow injectors isn't a sure fire way to prove you have a 1.9 engine.

Its possible someone has swapped an inlet manifold or the injectors before without kowing or realising the diffrence knowing how bad scrapyards & breakers are at supplying the correct part or joe public's knowledge of small diffrences such as injector colour.

Other things to look for to see what you have fitted (especially as your car started as a 1.6) is the ecu & AFM part numbers & also to see if you have a shallower sump with a 10mm spacer between the sump & block.

Has your car got an oil cooler fitted because thats another way of knowing how well the swap was done?

Graham.

pacmannewry

Thanks again Graham.

No oil cooler that I can see and no three digit code anywhere to be found but my AFM part no. ends in 109 which tends to suggest XU9JA - D6B. When I got the car, the ecu plugged in hadn't been mounted as no-one had bothered to unscrew the previous one. I have since removed the old and mounted the plugged in one myself. Presumably this was the 1.6 ecu that had been mounted and then the 1.9 plugged in and unmounted.

I have now ordered what I believe to be the proper exhaust so fingers crossed, I'll find out tomorrow if it fits. If it doesn't, they assure me they'll send it back.

Paddy

brumster

Got to say I'd go with Graham's suggestion of looking for a sump spacer plate, if there's no engine number visible - probably the easiest way of verifying a 1.9 over a 1.6 (assuming it's got the standard sump arrangement fitted, of course). As has been said, injectors and ECUs could be the wrong ones fitted. Mind you, if they're anything like the 8 valves I've had in the past, the revviness of a 1.6 over a 1.9 is like night over day :lol:

DrSarty

Well paddy: this is where we could be now.

You have yellow injectors (usually 1.9) and a 1.9 (not low comp) AFM fitted.

But you also say you have no oil cooler. Are you sure?

It is possible that the oil cooler's been removed, and there are 2 types - air to oil and water to oil, aka a heat exchanger. The air to oil will have pipes taking oil to a mini radiator at the front by the grille.

Anyway: I'm leaning towards it being a 1.9 based on the AFM and injectors, oil cooler or not. Perhaps it was just removed in the conversion.

But the funny thing is, I wasn't aware there was any difference at all in the 1.6 to 1.9 exhaust systems. I could be wrong there, but the heads are the same (late 1.6 onwards to 1.9 - only the cam's different) and you can install an Mi16 into a 1.6 GTI and use the standard exhaust.

Very interested to hear now what exhaust system differences someone says there are.

pug_ham
But the funny thing is, I wasn't aware there was any difference at all in the 1.6 to 1.9 exhaust systems. I could be wrong there, but the heads are the same (late 1.6 onwards to 1.9 - only the cam's different) and you can install an Mi16 into a 1.6 GTI and use the standard exhaust.

There isn't any difference between the 1.6 & 1.9 GTI exhaust systems except for the fact the later 1.9 GTI (post 1990 afaik) was available with a cat as an option before they were a legal requirement.

The lack of an oil cooler isn't a problem, its not as if our general climate means its a necessity but if it has one fitted there would be a sandwich plate under the oil filter with two hoses running round the r/h end of the rad & the cooler rad sat in the spare fan hole in the radiator cowl.

Graham.

DrSarty

Totally agreed about the oil cooler G; that's why I've removed mine.

Just going back to the original question then, it means whoever was asking what engine the exhaust was for, was effectively ONLY asking whether it was a cat system or not. That's really what I'm getting at.

At least the OP more than likely knows he has a 1.9 anyway. :lol:

pacmannewry

Cheers guys,

The car is currently sitting up in the air at my father-in-laws and I just sped home at lunchtime to have a quick look. I tried looking for the mini radiator beside the rad itself and saw no sign but I'm in the office clothes so couldn't get down and dirty underneath to look for any other evidence of either an oil cooler or sump spacer. It has occurred to me that I didn't look at the spare fan hole so perhaps I've missed it. Mind you, my fan is unplugged at the switch on it doesn't fit the relay box behind it and I have to get a correct switch.

When I went to order the exhaust, the Bosal manual that the supplier showed me listed two different front pipes where the manifold connects (hence my problem in deciding which). In short, both are pre-cats but the mounting bolt holes on the flange where it connects (judging by the sketches) are either north and south or east and west. Both are listed for the XU9JA but one is 09/86 - 06/09 and the other 07/09 - 08/92. Given that my car is a 1990 1.6 (with 134k on the clock) and the seller told me that he believed there to £77k on the 1.9 engine, I have ordered the 07/09 - 08/92 guessing that it is a younger engine.

Rupertfinch

The sure fire method is to race my 1.6. If yours wins, it's a 1.9! :)

pug_ham
When I went to order the exhaust, the Bosal manual that the supplier showed me listed two different front pipes where the manifold connects (hence my problem in deciding which). In short, both are pre-cats but the mounting bolt holes on the flange where it connects (judging by the sketches) are either north and south or east and west.

Its just a drawing thats wrong, the change in years is for the earlier three piece system change to the later (better) two piece system but either one should fit your car.

The exhaust manifolds on virtually every 8v XU series engine are the same manifold on which the downpipe mounting flange run east / west.

Graham.

pacmannewry

Thanks Graham - picking it up tomorrow as the snow has rained off all work today.

Cheers

Paddy