• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daxed

Got A New 'wireless'

Daxed

Treated myself to a birthday present, a Kenwood KDC-4547UB wireless, the lad in the shop kept calling it a head unit, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about the wireless. His bemusement with me deepened when I asked if the JCV wireless he was trying to sell to me had long wave as the real delight of these things is being able to listen to England test matches on radio 4 long wave whilst mobile.

The JVC didn't, but it did have a front USB port allowing one to listen to 'borrowed' tunes from the net via a plug in memory stick.

Hence we settled on the Kenwood which seems far more suited to the marvelous game and also had the front USB.

Along with new door speakers, the old ones had huge splits in the cone, it sounds rather good. The only thing lacking is some proper bass.

I have a powered sub-woofer on the PC, TV, home stereo etc and now want one in the 205.

Could people in the know give some advice to an old git with dodgy hearing as the way forward?

I really can't be assed with separate amps and whatever, just want something that will do the job and also simply disconnect and lift out of the boot when I buy yet another load of secondhand 205 tat and need the boot space.

I have been looking at this......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fli-12-Amplified-s...boutThisProduct

Am I on the right track?

Cheers

Tom Fenton

For what you want I'd say something of that ilk, e.g. combined sub/amplifier will be just the ticket.

rallysteve

I seem to recall seeing a very compact alpine sub and amp once that you could fit under a seat or tucked out the way.

Steve

The Arch Bishop

Yep, I've got a Blaupunkt active sub in the garage somewhere which I used on my Mk1 Mr2 and that fitted under the drivers seat. Nice little units for a cheap setup. Was hoping to put in the Pug but the head unit I have has no pre-outs.

I reckon this is the modern version - Linky

Bluespot usually have the best prices on these.

Edited by The Arch Bishop

Daxed

Thanks for the advice all.

Having had a look at the compact under seat semi-subs suggested, I think this is the way forwards for me.

I realise that it won't provide the punch or ability to shake the car to pieces that a 1000W boot mounted jobbie would deliver, but that is not my interest. I have no desire to drive around your housing estate 3 hrs after you have gone to bed to show you what a bad boy I am.

Will it though 'fill-out' my sound system providing better and deeper bass than the current std size speakers?

Will it fit under the seat of a 205?

OK, I'm off to look for my tape measure.

The Arch Bishop

Yes, it sounds like it'll do the job very nicely. As said, I had one for my MR2 which only had two speakers. It just gave it a bit more punch and filled in the gaps. It certainly won't rattle your teeth out! There's more space under the seat of a 205 than an MR2 so it should fit underneath without any bother. Failing that, they come with mounting brackets to fix it into the boot.

DrSarty

> Ref underseat subs

They are probably easier to wire in; although if you have 2 you'll need double of everything. Each one must have an amp inside, so each one will need a fused power, an earth and a remote turn wire each...and they need signal.

The signal needed may be either signal or speaker level (quite common for those types of subs), meaning 2 RCA cables or pair of speaker cables each.

Always a compromise as you no doubt know. These underseat systems will fill in, but the secret of decent thump is a solidly built box and decent power.

Be interesting to see what you think of them.

Edited by DrSarty

hengti

i think you're right to avoid one of these monster boxes that go in the boot. i tried one recently (VIBE CBR10Active; they're a lot more powerful than they used to be) and it completely overpowered what the headunit was capable of producing through the other speakers. the headunit had a fair degree of control over the sub signal but it was still difficult to balance. modesty's probably for the best!

kentish_lad

check the website bassjunkies.com they will have everythink you need

kentish_lad

im not actually a menber but i have used them meny times and i have found them to be very helpful also car audio direct are very good.

as i am only young insurance companys love my money so although i have never reali had a good quick car i have turned my atention to sound systems and curently running a 1900w rms system in fiesta which im just transplanting into my 87 xs if you need any advice just ask mate