• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ORB

Speedline And Smr Alloys

ORB

I had a bit of a search, but I cannot find anything definative to answer my question.

I was curious to know what model year 1.9's came with SMR's and what came with Speedlines?

As all of the cars I have had have never had a rhyme or reason for the wheels that are on them, what I mean is, I have had at least 4 1990 (G/H) GTis and some had speedlines and some had SMR's

Again, I was just wondering.

:)

Daviewonder

I can't help with your question but I've noticed that some 1.9 wheels have flat and wide lips and some have thin lips that sit a lot prouder. Anyone else noticed this? Any info?

Henry Yorke

SMRs are the better looking wheel with the lip usually. You can get France, Italy, Belgium and something else stamped wheels IIRC. Obviously France are SMRs and Italy are Speedlines. I can't remember the Belgium ones. Graham will know

pug_ham
SMRs are the better looking wheel with the lip usually. You can get France, Italy, Belgium and something else stamped wheels IIRC. Obviously France are SMRs and Italy are Speedlines. I can't remember the Belgium ones. Graham will know

I have a set of five Belgique rims downstairs, basically the same as SMR in weight but rarest make of all three afaik.

wheel4yk4.th.jpg

wheel3fx6.th.jpg

wheel2of6.th.jpg

wheel1ju6.th.jpg

spareuv2.th.jpg

I don't think there is any set year for what came with which but I think Speedlines were more common on the earlier 1.9's than later phase 2 cars.

Graham.

boombang

Others that H is thinking of are the Spanish 1.9s. One had a very complicated and unreadable makers mark, the other no manufacturers mark whatsoever. Both very heavy and very thick castings.

What came with what? I've no idea as have myself had a variety of original cars and all came with SMRs. Only picked up Speedlines when bought wheels only. That includes a 1989 car (probably had wheels swapped, was a 1.6 but came with 1.9 rims), a 1990 (may have had wheels swapped) a 1993 cti (100% original car, had SMRs from factory).

Henry Yorke

The late cars came with SMRs more , though 309 Goodwoods and 1FMs were Speedline

Natasha

I want to say it was an option on new build (ie. speedline were more expensive) but I really don't know. I've got a brochure somewhere will take a look. It took me ages to sort out my Speedlines from those pesky SMR's, ended up with a set of both!

jim205GTI

Believe i've got four speedline and my spare is an smr.....

SurGie

Iv owned four 205 gtis altogether, two ph 1.5 and two ph 2, all of them had speedline's and even the spares were speedline's, iv never seen an SMR one before. Iv kept most of them as well.

Baz

'Lemmers' are the oddball belgique ones.

It seems to be fairly random rather than what year comes with what etc, in my experience anyway.

MrG

I expect it was down to what each supplier could supply at certain times of the production run especially as they start to look at costs, so maybe the SMR's were slightly cheaper to buy etc than the earlier speedlines?

But unless you know the history of your car from new I don't think there's any way of telling what it had when it rolled off the line.

Henry Yorke

I wonder if French built ones got more SMRs and Spanish got the Speedlines. The only 205 to be part made in Italy was the CTI and they all 1.6 wheels

TU_Later

My 63 year old workmate (Bob) bought his 1.9 GTi from showroom back in '89..

He claims to me that his alloys never had the outer stepped 'lip'.. And that it was rounded out to the OD.

Is he being cenile?

Joe-Tait

Yeh a think so haha

Richie

My 1987 phase 1 has French SMR's all round. Obviously i can't say if they were on it from new but as its only had a few owners, i'd hazard a guess that they are probably the originals though.

Edited by Richie

monkee87

On my old GTi (1991 on a H) i had a mix of SMR and Speedline. Think it was 2 speedlines and 3 SMRs. I could tell the difference just looking at them.. ;) No idea why it was a mix.

My GTi i've got atm came with 5 speedlines. (1991 on a J) But i got my wheels refurbished and swapped them for 4 other speedlines. :D

My newest GTi (1993 on a L) has 4 speedlines and one SMR as the spare. Believe this to be original, but can't be 100% of course. It'll end up having all the speedlines off my other car thought. :D

TBH, i think it was most likely just random what car got what, not down to year.

omega

not looked at mine yet but do they have year stamped on them like 1.6 wheels?

Russ_T

How can you tell the difference between the Speedlines and SMRs please? Mine don't have any extra lip to them ... they seem heavy though, I'd like to swap them for steelies or something much lighter one day.

(PS I have used the search tool but it doesn't seem very effective, searching 309 didn't return me anything)

Thanks

timmsy19

they should have either 'smr' or 'speedline' stamped on them between the 'spokes' iirc

S@m

Mine has got 3 speedlines and 1 belqique (and another belqique for the spare). My friends 205 is exactly the same - 3 Speedlines and 1 SMR. Why can i not get one with a set of 4!!

Sam