• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jackherer

Rust In Scuttle Area

jackherer

I thought my shell was all sorted and I was about to start rebuilding it when I found some hidden rust, I've not seen a 205 rust here before, especially as the rest of the shell is solid. It was covered in painted seam sealer and there was no sign of anything wrong, the only reason I spotted it was a tiny orange spec on the inside within the seam but it turned into the hole in the pic after I started poking at it.

post-3-1275702796_thumb.jpg

The timing couldn't be worse, I've just had it transported back here where I don't have any welding equipment, it was away having the cage welded in and it looks like it needs to go straight back.

Tom Fenton

Get it all prepped and ready and then get a mobile welder to come to you. If it is all prepped then it is 20min to weld it in max.

boombang

If you can get mains power at the car, you're welcome to borrow my welder mate. It'll do bodywork a treat.

jackherer

Tom, I know but I hate paying people to do things I can do myself, if I could get it to my mates I could do it there but I've just paid to have it towed two ways and I can't bring myself to do it again.

Alex, thanks, that is a great offer, I'm trying to call in a favour with a mate at the moment but if that doesn't work out I might take you up on it.

Is nobody else surprised at that hidden little patch on an otherwise solid shell?

EdCherry

I know Mile's has a Phase 1 with most of the scuttle gone but that shell has other problems as well.

Bit surprised really, did it look like original seam sealer?

jackherer

The sealer looked identical to the other side, there wasn't even any indication it was rusty, it only showed inside with the dash out and even then it was just a hint of orange in the seam that I thought was just a mm or two of surface rust.

DamirGTI
I've not seen a 205 rust here before,

I did :) and had just the same on my red , rusty rocket :) bar the rest of the iron oxide infection of course , this one was just "a blemish" !

Damir :blink: