• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pug_ham

Sleeving Hubs With Ovalled Balljoints

pug_ham

As some of you might be aware I have (or had) some PTS 1.6 Group A negative camber hubs fitted to my car until the MOT earlier this Month when slight play was noticed in the left hand one.

Unfortunately it was play in the hub & not the balljoint but I was talking to a friend who owns an engineering firm where I got my valve shims reground & was showing him the hub with ideas to get some standard ones rebored the same when he mentioned making an insert to remove the play.

The bolt clamping faces aren't pulled together & closed up like usual with it being caught fairly early in so I'm tempted by this rather than just scrapping the hub.

He suggested boring it out to 18mm with a sleeve to return it to 16mm as required.

Neither of us can see any reason why not but does anyone think it would be a bad idea & why?

Graham.

welshpug

the only thing I can think of that would put me off is the weakened material either side of the clamp, i.e where it has stretched.

Batfink

Its something I have considered as an option too. I can't see any problem.

DrSarty

Colin Satchell does the below on new hubs for TRE fittings. It sounds similar and is perhaps therefore doable.

- Original TRE tapered hole reamed out.

- Stepped sleeve fitted for straight, standard bolt to go through into rose jointed TRE.

Dunno if that's useful.

pug_ham

Rich, the only thing between the TRE hole & balljoint hole is the TRE hole is solid but I don't think it would make a great deal of difference.

Rather than scrap a rare hub I'll give it a try.

Graham.

pug_ham

Taking the hub in for sleeving today, just a pic to show how little its closed up the balljoint hole & the main reason I'm doing this.

post-71-1277720467_thumb.jpg

If it was closed up as much as normal I probably wouldn't bother.

Graham.

jimistdt

Have you got these back yet Graham?

pug_ham

Only getting one sleeved Jimi & its being done tomorrow hopefully.

Graham.

Paul_13

Should be interesting to see the results Graham, what is the sleeve to be made of?

pug_ham
what is the sleeve to be made of?

Off to pick it up in next hour so I'll post a pic after I'm back but he said a stainless insert iirc.

Graham.

pug_ham

post-71-1278076242_thumb.jpg

As pictured above, now a nice tight fit on the balljoint. :D

Graham.

jimistdt

That looks a good job Graham, I was wondering about the bit where the pinch bolt goes through, but it's quite clear how he's got 'round it in the picture.

Well done, nice work!

Paul_13

Nicely done, out of interest how much does he charge? Or PM me that.

That's a real money maker for the future for when all the old Pug bits become impossible to find or buy new.

pug_ham
That looks a good job Graham, I was wondering about the bit where the pinch bolt goes through, but it's quite clear how he's got 'round it in the picture.

Well done, nice work!

Its even better when you take the sleeve out to see they have stepped the hub about 1mm deep & lipped the insert to match.

Nicely done, out of interest how much does he charge? Or PM me that.

That's a real money maker for the future for when all the old Pug bits become impossible to find or buy new.

£20, very cheap but that might be because he's a mate.

I've taken it back though atm because its so tight I completely distroyed the balljoint boot on a dead wishbone getting them apart when I got home so he is going to drill an 18mm hole in a bar, fit the insert & ream it 16mm again because it must close up sligtly when they are fitted together.

One side has negative camber again, took 20 minutes to swap the hub over so all looking good for the other on Monday afternoon.

Graham.

TT205
took 200 minutes to swap the hub over

:) typo ?

Paul_13

Takes me 25-30 mins to do 1

pug_ham

lol, yeah, should've said 20 minutes. (like it does now.:lol:)

Graham.

Paul_13

dsc03789j.th.jpg

Can this be fixed mate? :huh: Well and truely farked! Haven't had them on for more than a week in total and just put new bearings in. Wish I would of checked them and refused them

pug_ham
dsc03789j.th.jpg

Can this be fixed mate?

Yeah, I reckon it could.

There's enough meat around it to take out & the slot hasn't closed up much at all compared to some I've seen.

Doesn't mean I would though.

I used my re-sleeved hub at Cadwell on Wednesday & had absolutely no problems at all.

Graham.

jimistdt

?

jimistdt
dsc03789j.th.jpg

Can this be fixed mate? :D Well and truely farked! Haven't had them on for more than a week in total and just put new bearings in. Wish I would of checked them and refused them

They look really bad Paul, say you just bought them? I hope it wasn't any one off the forum.

pug_ham
There's enough meat around it to take out & the slot hasn't closed up much at all compared to some I've seen.

?

On that hub, there is enough there to do it but it doesn't look worthwhile with that much damage.

Compare the damage around the hole in paul's pic to mine in the first post.

Graham.

jimistdt

I don't think that's what you were saying Graham.

If a new member sold Paul those hubs for £40,what would you do?

welshpug

I'd send them back B)

jimistdt

And if they won't take them back?