• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RossD

1.9 Gti Rear Compensator

RossD

Not sure if it's of any interest (I found it interesting :)) But I came across the calibration for the 1.9 GTi in-line type rear brake compensator in one of my French manuals.

EDIT: This is for later compensators maked 'E'. I'm not sure if the older 'F' types are much different though.

comp1l9.gif

(All pressures in Bar)

Pressure in / Pressure out

5 / 5

10 / 10

15 / 15

20 / 20

25 / 21

50 / 26

90 / 34

Knee point is 20 bar (i.e the pressure in = pressure out up to 20 bar)

Edited by RossD

welshpug

is that for the early or late ones?

RossD
is that for the early or late ones?

Later ones, ie part number: 4861.49 marked with an 'E'

welshpug

cool, thanks for the info, now wondering how different they are to the ZX 16v ones, and the 309 gti ones :)

RossD

From what I can work out, it's the kneepoint that is different on the ZX ones.

From the French ZX Revue Technique manual, it states that the kneepoint on the ZX 16v is 32bar, there is no more information other than this.

Non 16v models (Marked 'B') the kneepoint is 25 bar. This is compared to the 205 ones which are 20 bar (see above).

309 GTi compensators (Marked 'B') are the same as the ZX (non-16v) and so the breakpoint is 25 bar, so inbetween the 205 and ZX 16v in terms of rear bias. Makes logical sense if you think about it.

Edited by RossD

welshpug

awww bugger, so having 205 ones on my zx might not be such a good plan then, DOH!

RossD

Yep, a lot less rear bias it would seem!

welshpug

that may well explain why I managed to totally cook a set of front pads, allbeit s*ite APEC ones, in 15 minutes of a trackday with a standard 6 engine.

bollocks and arse, facepalm etc :)

sods law, they were NFP a loooong time ago :(

many thanks for the info regardless though :D

edit: I think upgrading the fronts from 266mm standard 16v callipers to the larger 283mm Dakar (VTS/GTI6) spec would make it even worse.

Edited by welshpug

RossD

The 309 ones are almost bang on halfway between the 205 and ZX ones, so if you could get hold of a pair of those it would be an improvement.

EDIT: Actually, looking in the Bosch e-catalogue, they still list a part for the ZX 16v which tallies up to the Citroen part number which is NFP. Could be worth approaching GSF or Eurocarparts to see if they can get hold of one? Bosch part #: 0 204 131 068

Link to Bosch e-catalogue

Edited by RossD

welshpug

many thanks, disregard my reply to your PM :)

welshpug

just re-visiting this as I'm having some weird low service brake issues on my ZX, handbrake comes up at 100kg's of force but the foot brake at 60kg's.

would have passed if the front brakes had more bite though....

so checking the part numbers (no data shown though)

ZX 16v as above, 0204 131 068, o.e No 96 165 284

ZX non 16v+ 309, two part numbers shown, 0204 131 046 and 049, which are 04861 50/096 647 310 and 4861 45 (plus a Ferrari part number of 225350!!)

205 1.9 shown as using 0204 131 048 which are 4861 49, as well as 0204 131 049 which is listed above for the 309.

RossD

Are you still using the 205 compensators on the ZX then?!

welshpug

yup :) I didnt reaslise at the time that there was that much difference in them, plus it passed fine last year!!

The ZX 16v ones have been NFP for a bloody long time and I can't remember the last time I saw another ZX16v B)

not that an used set is any use as the unions seize into them.

ECP said they couldn't get them, but a Bosch stockist has said they can get me a pair from Germany, £109 in total :)