• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

How To Get The Starter Motor Out?

johnhenry

So im doing the HG and have to opertunity to sort the starter motor out.

tried removing it, and one if the bolts stuck behind the clutch arm

have i got to remove the clutch arm thing before i can remove it?

ive tried looking at haynes, and they done mention it at all :S

Cheers

DrSarty

You don't really want to remove the clutch arm, as things can fall through/out unrecoverably. It could be a right ball-ache.

Find a way to lever the clutch mechanism and hold it there (zip tie etc or friend on pedal or with bar), and get onto the bolt(s), 3 usually, which are also usually hex cap heads.

But...beware!!!

The cap heads can round very easily. Make sure you get the bit well and truly tapped in and work carefully. Also when removing, note which bolt goes where, as one is usually longer, and you can crack the housing if you replace them incorrectly.

welshpug

remove the clutch arm, big bolt through it.

IIRC a 22mm head.

mikeygulley

Would it not work to take the other bolts out first then undo the other whilst edging the starter out....? just a suggestion.

I don't remember having this problem with mine.

smithy
remove the clutch arm, big bolt through it.

IIRC a 22mm head.

mine is one of the ones that breaks,got a steel pin through it and not a 22mm bolt so maybe that was only on later phase models?

as suggested by someone else is it possible to remove the 2 easier bolts and then gradually undo the other one while pulling starter away from bell housing or is the problem you cannot get the allen key in the bolt due to access?

Anthony

If you've got a BE3 gearbox (as it sounds like you have) then you should be able to remove all three bolts fine, although you'll need to use a slimish 8mm hex socket and an extension more than likely for the one that's behind the clutch arm.

It's BE1's that have the issue and which require the clutch arm/quadrant to be removed.

GLPoomobile

I had this problem with my BE1 boxed Mi16 a couple of months ago. Search and you'll find my topic.

Soak the bolts in Plusgas over a period of hours (or days even, if you can afford the time) and that'll help ease the bolts up so you don't end up rounding the head. Remove the clutch arm quadrant with a 22m socket and catch the big pin that drops out (it just sits between the cluctch arm and quadrant, and is only retained by the clutch cable tension).

I don't know what anyone else thinks to this, but you may have to adjust your clutch cable slightly after removing the quadrant. I found my gears were crunching like a bastard afterwards, and I just adjusted my cable the other day and all is loveley again. It's a quick and easy job.

gaz832

just do what i did and cut the head off the bolt with a grinder, will just fall right out no problem after that. then hit the scrappys for a new set of bolts from a pug 306 .

Edited by gaz832

Iain-gti

I agree with mikeygulley thats what i do :lol:

Sign in to follow this