• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

Shunken Quarter Seals

Obey_R

Like most of us the quarter seals of my gti are leaking. I've tried streching them which works to a degree but hopefully this will be the end of it...

I got a scrap window seal from Baz (thanks) and have decieded to try and fix my seals by adding a new section in - if all goes well, hopefully this guide will solve all the problems!

Firstly give the old seals a good wash, don't worry about getting water inside them as it will be drained out soon!

Started off with a few sharp Stanleys and my donor seal

5100380944_217bf5fb3b.jpg

First thing I did was have a little play at cutting the donor seal up. The seals have metal ribs running through them to give strength but imagine them to be like a rib cage. So as long as you cut in the right place, you don't have to cut through any metal... well, only the 'spine' of the rib cage.

Cross section of the seal

5099785577_19cbcc6af0.jpg

The next thing I did was made two careful cuts in my good seals, close to the bottom corners. At this point I drained all of the water from the inside that got in there when I was washing it. Then place your now cut seal back into the window, push it into all the corners as tight as it will fit to guage how much it has shrunk.

5099786671_c305fab811.jpg

In this case both seals had a 15mm gap.

I then went back to my donor seal and cut two sections about 21mm in length. Making it bigger than the gap I plan it give it a snug fit, but not too much that it keeps popping out.

5099791195_1c9a19f296.jpg

So I've now got 2 window seals with 2 21mm segments ready to add it. For now they're in the airing cupboard making sure they're bone dry before I start siliconing them together tomorrow!

I'll update when I've made some progress,

Ross.

Lan

Cant believe I didn't think of this when I had the spare set of seals as my slightly less leaky replacements aren't perfect even after I went in with the silicone, great idea look forward to results

JRL

ah so this is why you wanted a window seal even if its was in unusable condition! good work mate thats why I love this forum seeing what people come up with next. I fitted base model fixed rear 1/4 window seals supposedly they dont stretch (Or not as much) but I miss the original opening ones. I have heard you can buy them still new from peugeot £50 or £60 each! if you can even get them. I hope they go to plan.

Baz

Cracking idea! :lol:

Miles

Did mine like this over the summer, Its even car wash proof now

Obey_R
Did mine like this over the summer, Its even car wash proof now

Damn, was hoping I was the first to think of it! :lol:

engine killer

Getting a donor car/seal seems impossible in Hong Kong now.

But putting two together make me think of using my old door seal (shrunkenand splitted already) to cut fit for the quarters.

Hope this will work ;)

davey sprocket

Shame this wouldn't work with the seals on the outsides of the front doors where the window winds down, I guess most have shrunk loads like mine have.

Daviewonder
Damn, was hoping I was the first to think of it! :)

Done some on a Mini back in 1995 :)

Obey_R

Well I've just got them siliconed and taped into place. One looks quite tidy but the other will probably need re-doing tomorrow. Says it will be fully cured after 12 hours so I might give them a bit of a peak later tonight and see!

5103086500_b8e52387c5.jpg

Edited by Obey_R

Obey_R

Opened them up just now and one of the seals on each rubber is no good so pulled them apart and made good the 2 seals that are left. I'll leave them to cure for another 24hrs and give them another bash tomorrow. Looking hopeful!

Obey_R

Fitted them into the car to do the last join so they lined up properly. The fit is great, very tight! I'll leave them overnight to cure then take some photos. Looks like it's done the trick!

muddatrucker

I may need to do this to mine, I bought some sealant for a few gaps I had, but its far too flexible (and doesn't appear to of dried properly) my only worry is I'd have to do it within a day - as I dont have a garage!

Obey_R

Well I had another look yesterday and one of them started to come apart, I don't know if its because of the sealant or maybe I handled to too much. The one that I did in situ. seems to be fine though so I've taken the other one apart and will put it in place before siliconing it. either that or I will have to get the Araldite out!

muddatrucker
Well I had another look yesterday and one of them started to come apart, I don't know if its because of the sealant or maybe I handled to too much. The one that I did in situ. seems to be fine though so I've taken the other one apart and will put it in place before siliconing it. either that or I will have to get the Araldite out!

What sealant are you using? Tiger seal?

Obey_R

Used some black silicone from work, Carplan stuff so not the best but thought it would do the job. Might get some tigerseal though as I can't imagine that wouldn't stick it!

cRaig

Wouldnt superglue or a rubber glue be better than silicone?

DanteICE

Did this ever become a successful project as I've noticed mine are far too small and need replacing?

Slo

And tiger seal to fill the join! If you apply excess to the outside you can trim it back with a craft knife to make a neat job, works well on stupid expensive cti window scrapers too!

DanteICE

Bit late for that but I'll get some for general use anyway. Maybe I should get 3 window seals and try and create a better fit pair of window seals. I'd like to hear how this ended up though.

Daviewonder

I'd like to hear how this ended up though.

I don't think the OP comes on here much any more since he got rid of his 205.

Davy

Bit late for that but I'll get some for general use anyway. Maybe I should get 3 window seals and try and create a better fit pair of window seals. I'd like to hear how this ended up though.

Instead of cutting them, I took them out, cleaned the groove of the rubber and web of the car body, then put black silicone into the groove of the rubber and refitted and wiped off the excess silicone. Has worked well for me.

As the rubbers shrink in height as well as length, would this not mean the the vertical, door pillar edge would also need split and a piece set in?

I'd personally try the 20 minute, silicone fix first. :huh:

p.s. I discovered that even when I stopped the water getting through between rubber and car body, that there was still a leak caused by a tiny split in the corner of the rubber (where the top and bottom edges meet the front)so check them too.

Edited by Davy

farmer

I have said to cRaig he can borrow mine if he wanted to remake them as mine are newish, so maybe new ones may come back onto the market at some point.