• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
edbar

[trackday_prep] Rallye Rep Trackday 205

edbar

After trying to repair the rotten panels on my 309 trackday car I became aware that there was alot of work to restore it to a reasonable condition. This made me think of a re-shell in the future, but after a browse on pistonheads with a friend who had just bought a 1.6 gti 205 we found this.......

SAM_0024.jpg

SAM_0026.jpg

SAM_0028.jpg

SAM_0027.jpg

SAM_0029.jpg

A tidy 1.4xs with Rallye arches and wheels, kent cam etc. I've alway loved the 205 rallye and as i wouldnt be destroying a real Rallye thought it might be a nicer home for all my 309's goodies. Has a few small dents but virtually no rust anywhere which i like. So this will now pick up the development where the 309 left off and I've got the fun of swapping all the bits over! :lol:

Baz

Looks tidy!! Shame about the 309, but seems the way they're all going the way they suffer from tinworm! :lol:

edbar

Yeah it is a shame because they're so understated, a decent shell is difficult to find and more expensive than a 205 of same condition. Also parts are more readily available for the 205 such a suspension kits, fibreglass panels and steel panels and general body parts, it just seems the right thing to do.

custard-rallye

I remember seeing this ages ago on ph looks nice

allanallen

Traitor!!! :)

As said it is a shame about the 309 but the 205 looks a worthy replacement. Good luck with it ed.

edbar

Well after a few hours on the car Leigh Jordan and Alan had stripped the engine and subframe out the 309 ready to go into the 205 shell. Olly and myself went over after work to remove everything else off the car, rear beam,ecu and loom, cage and seat etc. So this is how the 309 is now!

SAM_0036.jpg

Sad to see it like that after so much time and effort put into it but im doing the right thing. Here is the 205 after just starting last night.

SAM_0040.jpg

And after a couple of hours it was all out!

SAM_0041.jpg

SAM_0042.jpg

Got to fit the diff into the 309 box and then we're ready to put the lot into the 205!

pug_ham

Looks to be a nice base for the swap, as said shame about the 309 shell but thats what you get for building cars in Coventry. :)

You might want to check the size of the m/c before you get to far into refitting bits, swapping for the correct GTI size one (or bigger) would be far easier now whith an empty engine bay.

Its shocking how fast these cars can come apart if you know what you're doing on them.

Graham.

allye

Thats a fairly stunning XS! Are you putting the 309 beam on the XS? If so you'll need to chop the rear arches up a little. Good luck with it, will follow closely!

Ali

welshpug

Just leave the 205 beam on there, sell the 309 beam and speak to Anthony for some torsion bars ;)

It looks great externally I think :)

BC Devile

I won this car on ebay a couple of weeks ago but couldnt pick it up quick enough so lost out. Looks really clean. keep us posted.

Mart Pug

Nice car, loving the Rallye look (but then I'm biased given the number of 106 rallyes I've had!!)

edbar

Thanks for all the interest, it is flying along now, will upload pics later in the week.

Im going to use a 406 master cylinder to try and reduce the pedal travel.

Im also using the 309 beam with the xsara arms, 309 bones everything off the 309 is going in the 205. Im switching back to standard size discs so i can keep the rallye steels, know a guy who drives in stock hatch so I can get 14" A048's very cheap! It really is shaping up nicely only electrics and the plumbing left to do really.

Cant wait to drive it!

allye

309 beam on a base model shell needs choppage!!!

Edited by allye

edbar

Both front and rear arches need cutting right back! Should get the exhaust and rad all fitted up tomorrow night, will take pics and post later in the week when the home internet is connected. Want it running by the weekend!

pug_ham

I was looking through 205's on pistonheads over the weekend & saw the ad for this car, had I looked sooner I'd have been very tempted to buy it & leave it virtually as it was.

Graham.

muddatrucker
I was looking through 205's on pistonheads over the weekend & saw the ad for this car, had I looked sooner I'd have been very tempted to buy it & leave it virtually as it was.

Graham.

I saw it too and thought the styling looked perfect.

edbar

Well I finally have internet access again so I can do an update......

The bulk of the work has taken no time at all, engine and subframe back in in a night, gear linkages and lever, clutch cable anouther, rear beam anouther. So I managed to take a few pics along the way but we got so stuck in I kept forgetting to take pics of progress.

Engine and subframe/ front suspension going in

SAM_0048.jpg

SAM_0049.jpg

Gives a nice wide stance with all the 309 running gear. (pictured with the 15"s on)

SAM_0051.jpg

SAM_0052.jpg

Rear beam on.

SAM_0055.jpg

SAM_0054.jpg

Had to downsize the front discs to standard to get the 14"s to clear (keeping the big discs incase im not happy with the standard size.)

SAM_0057.jpg

tomcolinjones

Looking very well mate, keep it up, like to see how your getting on. B)

edbar

Right another update. Spent tuesday night on the car and all day yesterday. To bring it up to speed I spent tuesday night dummy mounting the radiator, decided to go for the 309 rad and spal fan set up as it is much larger than the 205 rad.

This is the rad after the hoses had been fitted and brackets bolted up yesterday.

SAM_0071.jpg

Also fitted up the 309 exhaust system on tuesday, the centre section and manifold went on fine and the back box required the bumper to be trimmed slightly and the chrome tailpipe to be cut off as this stuck out nearly a foot. I will have to cut and re-weld the brackets as they are not ideal.

So this is it now with its pea shooter, I really like it.

SAM_0073.jpg

I didn't take many pics yesterday but we managed to fit the 205 gti handbrake cables, make up new lines to suit at the rear, repair sections at the front, new front flexis, and fit the compensator valves from the 309, and a 406 mc. Also plumbed up the cooling hoses ( going to get a silicone set soon as they all look a bit past their best) made a bracket for the 309 header tank and filled the cooling system, engine and gearbox oils.

SAM_0069.jpg

SAM_0070.jpg

Will be fitting the ecu and battery one night next week and try and finish the wiring, fit fuel pump and should be running! :rolleyes:

edbar

Right, another update! Had a couple of nights on it last week sorting out getting the engine running. Im going to mount the ecu where it was in the 309 (passenger foot well)

I will remove all the sound deadening when the cage gets fitted so I just cut out what i needed to for now.

SAM_0074.jpg

Leigh sorted the wiring mock up to run both the fuel pump and ecu off a toggle switch for on and off, needs finishing this week. The car runs and drives now but havent given it any beans as the arches are on the tyres waiting to be cut this week.

Engine bay shot during first mock up stages just to get it started.

SAM_0075.jpg

And after fitting new fuel line and positioning the fuel pump and reg, just need to bolt the pump down.

SAM_0076.jpg

Also fitted my new headlamps and indicators, went back to orange to make it look more period, and drilled the bumper to get air to the rad.

SAM_0077.jpg

So close to being ready now just got the arse ache of getting the gauges working otherwise I'll get after market ones, nut and bolt check, finish wiring and it should be useable! Not happy with the brakes either, fitted a new 406 m/c and tghe pedal feel and travel is s*ite so im thinking I'll check all the new brake unions for leaks and re-bleed again.

edbar

Update time!

The car is now booked in for a trackday at mallory on feb the 13th, which means I have 5 weeks to get most of the niggly jobs done! So Took the car into work on tues to renew the tax, that morning the car developed a serious misfire and lack of power! More on that later... Weds night however I cut the brackets off the back box and moved them two inches further forward so they would line up with the 205 hangers.

SAM_0217.jpg

SAM_0218.jpg

SAM_0219.jpg

Doing this has got rid of the exhaust leak at the front as i used exhaust paste ( nice not having fumes in the car ) and stopped the system falling off after the rubbers used to work their way off the hangers. Will update later on the mis-fire issues!

• Like 1

edbar

Misfire.... Checked the spark was good to all cylinders but one cylinder made no differance when lead removed, all others tried to kill the revs ( all at idle ). so though t it must be fuel, checked pump, was fine, getting fuel to carbs. So blew the jets out with an air line, still no better. compression check was fine on all. So i took the top off the carb and found a bit of sediment blocking one of the jet holes and some in the bowl, not a lot but enough. So i changed the fuel filter and cleaned the internal filter and blew everything with an air line, still no better! So I decided to take the carb apart and clean thoroughly with carb cleaner to make sure all galleries are clear, upon removal I found that the auxillary venturie retaining bolt was missing, allowing an air leak and the venturie to spin inside the carb blocking the fuel distribution hole!

Ready for cleaning...

SAM_0220.jpg

Where the missing bolt should be....

SAM_0221.jpg

Loads of carb cleaner used and all galleries clear!

SAM_0222.jpg

So I went to aldon automotive to pick up the new bolt and a service kit, Thought it wouldnt hurt to fit anew needle valve if the carb has drawn some dirt.

New needle valve..

SAM_0224.jpg

Clean bowl with new gaskets..

SAM_0226.jpg

Fitted everything back up yesterday, took the car out and still massively down on power and missfireing! Not happy i came back, checked balance and they were way out! Fiddled for ages only to find the slave carb has an auxillary venturie bolt missing also!! So annoyed with it, didnt notice as i removed the carb at night so now need to order another bolt today and try and set the carbs up again! This is becoming a pain now!

TT205

Chin up mate - just think of the grin factor when she's running sweet !!

stefan

2nd that

Carbs- you gotta love em! :D

welshpug

naah, I'd rather not love them, just buy one of these and be done with it :D

5334007846_f2c2df97c8.jpg