• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

Brave Or Stupid?

steve@cornwall

Time for another Phase of the 1.1's life. GTi arches ! If it works out O.K I'll elaborate! O/S is actually fitted now, but I have ideas on how to do it better on the N/S as the inner arch is in the way of the retaining clips :lol:

DSC00206.jpg

It will be on 14" pepperpots, by the way not the TSWs

Edited by steve@cornwall

allye

My personal opinion is that GTI arches should stay with GTI's as its a big fake! However If done right they can look good and will really tidy up a base model!

You brave man!!

Ali

TT205

Angle grinder :lol:

(cough) petrol tank (cough) :blush:

muddatrucker

Rallye arches?

steve@cornwall
Angle grinder ;)

(cough) petrol tank (cough) :D

I did think about that (when it was too late).

As for Rallye arches, I'd still need to cut the arches to gain clearance (3 adults and student belongings doing Truro - Oxford) , also I have spare GTi trims which will also cover some flaking respray on the driver's door and some bad repair work on the passenger's door/ quarter which were both uncovered when I removed the "Look" striping.

It's not a "fake" it's an "homage" B) Once I've got around to having the gear pivot adjusted on the subframe and all moved across, the only thing not GTi will be the engine / box! I like to drive GTis, but don't like the fuel costs - this is the perfect compromise for me seeing as it spends most of it's life in traffic.

DSC00201.jpg

swordfish210
My personal opinion is that GTI arches should stay with GTI's as its a big fake!

My opinion exactly. Sorry for the completly unhelpful post but i've never seen the obsession with wheel arches B) I'll get my coat now....

jonnygoodhand

Didn't you once have an 'Automatic' with a GTI6 in it? And now a 'GTI' with a 1.1... :P

On the subject of arches, I cut my old Rallye's with a pair of antique tin snips. Turned out ok, but wish I'd taken a little more off as it still caught over bumps.

tin-snips.jpg

cut-arch.jpg

Then cut up, into the arch making a series of tabs. Then bent the tabs in towards the inner arch, and whacked a load of sealant over it to stop the water getting in.

cut-arch-sealed.jpg

Edited by jonnygoodhand

muddatrucker

Fair play though, some standard 205s have nothing about them and the gtis do so its an obvious option. We've all gone non standard with something on our cars to improve style or performance.

I'd love to see a 5dr rallye lookalike - preferably a GT.

DaveW

Would'nt bother with gti subframe seems alot of work for a 1.1

allye

Which watch this closely, as I'm considering chopping my arches to acomodate the 14x6 rallye steels in what is essentially a base model shell!

jonnygoodhand
Which watch this closely, as I'm considering chopping my arches to acomodate the 14x6 rallye steels in what is essentially a base model shell!

With the right tyres, you may not have to do this. Depends how low you are at the back.

allye

It will be on a rebuilt beam with standard dampers dropped the smallest amount (one spline!?) Anthony is building me one in January, can i get away without doing it? With what tryes?

Cheers, Ali

Also just noticed that dash is a love child of a phase 1.5 and phase 2!

Edited by allye

steve@cornwall

The Auto-6 belonged to 205gtichris, not me, unfortunately . I did have a fake Griffe, though

DSC00132.jpg

Dash is 1/2 Ph1.5 GTi and 1/2 lighter grey from an automatic - I will be putting some grey plasticare to the test on the light parts- should be interesting.

I've cut a lot more arch than Johnny, just above the light crease line in the paper in pic. It's not an arbitary line, it's the line from the inside of the plastic arch. The paper was pushed over the pegs in the arch and creased around the moulding (which sits outside the arch of the GTi). I offered up the arch with the paper still on it - the paper taped to the bodywork and the lines drawn onto body with marker pen. I then cut and drilled to the marks. The bumpers were cut and drilled to accept the arches.

The inner arch was then cut 10mm lower and beaten backto meet the outer arch. This actually seems to give more strength than the GTi but, as said, means you can't get to the back of the pegs to fix the arch.You can, though, get to all but the top peg from inside the car. The inner and outer arches will be sealed together with fibreglass paste.

DaveW
It will be on a rebuilt beam with standard dampers dropped the smallest amount (one spline!?) Anthony is building me one in January, can i get away without doing it? With what tryes?

Cheers, Ali

Also just noticed that dash is a love child of a phase 1.5 and phase 2!

185/55 should do the trick

post-3307-1290015170_thumb.jpg

Anthony

Good on you Steve - it might be a "fraud" dressing up a base model as a GTi, but if you want the looks and handling of a GTi but don't need the power or fuel costs, then why not if you've got the bits to hand?

To put the cat firmly amongst the pigeons, I reckon that once you've finished it will probably drive nicer than a GTi given that it will have a featherlight alloy block TU in the nose. Certainly my old 205 XS that I'd fitted GTi parts to handled superbly with a keenness to turn in and change direction that made a GTi feel almost unweildy and slow-witted by comparison - down mostly I'm sure to the lack of weight in the nose.

A GTi badge on the back might be sacrilege though given the rather modest power output!

Going s little off-topic, but it can be set to any height you want as both ends of the torsion bars will be properly freed off - this means that you can lower it in much smaller incriments, down to a couple of mm or so, rather than by the crude method of a complete spline (35-40mm or so)

steve@cornwall
A GTi badge on the back might be sacrilege though given the rather modest power output!

Badges will be blank - (or humourous suggestions welcome) even the GTi steering wheel has a "lion" centre. The slatted boot panel is back,too. I've been amazed by how light the steering is in the little beastie compared to XU models and it's remarkably civilised at motorway speeds with 50mpg+ as a bonus. As an everyday cheap runabout it ticks all my boxes whilst for leisure time I still have the GTi :)

steve@cornwall

Rain has stopped play for the moment (been a bit down here in case no-one's noticed ;) ) But I reckon my clearance issues are sorted :D

DSC00209.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

Time to sort some 14" wheels methinks :( And paint/fit a rear valence.

allye

Are they 5.5j or 6j though?

DaveW

6j S2 ones

jackherer
Badges will be blank - (or humourous suggestions welcome)

If it has mainly GTI parts give it GTI badges too. But get Dr Sarty to make 1.1 badges for the quarter panels to keep it honest.

allye

Hmmmm, not so. the 185/55's on my S2 wheels rub. Seemingly peugeot couldn't get two Rallyes out the same!!! ;) Will look into choppage, I have access to air line cutting tools so could do fairly tidy job of it.

Ali

steve@cornwall
If it has mainly GTI parts give it GTI badges too. But get Dr Sarty to make 1.1 badges for the quarter panels to keep it honest.

But it has no "i" - just a good, old fashioned carb, I did think of "1.1 GTC" or how about "1.1 PJ" (puddle-jumper) Also considdered "1.1" for the top quarter badge with a red snail on the lower one :)

jackherer

Thats a shame, I thought it would be injection by '90. Get a megasquirt fitted just so you can give it a GTI badge :)

allye
Thats a shame, I thought it would be injection by '90. Get a megasquirt fitted just so you can give it a GTI badge :)

The Rallye had a big old carb untill end of 1992! Always gives the MOT a slight confusion, as my Rallye was actually registered after the cat legislation.

I like how with older cars Mr. MOT will test the emmisions, look at it, think 'thats nice' and pass it!!!

DaveW

What suspension set up you have on the back then allye?