• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SweetBadger

Increasing Compression On Mi16 Engines

SweetBadger

I had to take the head off my MI the other week to do the stem seals, so I decided to look into how best to increase the compression ratio to go with an uprated inlet cam...

I think that the only options discussed on here so far to increase the MI compression are:

- install new pistons (very expensive)

- skim the block & liners (expensive)

- fitting a copper head gasket (cheap but risky if liner protrusion is not spot on & requires 3yr maintenance)

There is another option which is a bit more pricey than the copper gasket option but gives none of the associated issues provided it's installed properly:

I've just fitted a 0.68mm thick cometic MLS head gasket to my 1.9MI; the gasket is not normally stocked or listed in any of the UK cometic suppliers catalogs, but is available on special order. Part number is C4225-027, I got it delivered from Burton Power in about 3 weeks for about £90, it's 0.027" thick or 0.68mm. Compression now reads 230psi across all cylinders, approx 11:1 compression ratio.

Can definitely confirm that petert's advice about the benefits of increasing the compression on this engine is spot on - I run a 526 catcams inlet camshaft and the engine was a bit peaky on standard compression; very flat in low to mid revs. It drives soooo much better with the new gasket and increased compression! Way more mid range torque and a much more even power delivery.

petert

Great info. Well done. Don't forget you've closed up the valve-piston clearance as well.

James_m

Sounds like a nice cost effective modification, nice find. Does it go harder at the top end as well?

SweetBadger

Yep, pulls harder right to the limiter too...

Think this might be in part due to the timing being retarded slightly, as I had to take up the extra slack in the cambelt with the rear tensioner.

GilesW

Interesting info. Seems liek this woudl complement one of petert's stage 1 cams then?

Afraid I'm not familuar with the XU9J4 specs. How have you calculated the 11:1 CR?

Sign in to follow this