• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Mi16 Alternator Tensioner

TaffyTim

As above really, I have the following type at the moment but the screw (number 2) is buckled and wont screw.

AlternatorExplodedDiagram.jpg

I'm not having much luck getting a replacement as the item is discontinued at Peugeot and Citreon and no one seems to have one judging from the lack of response in the wanted section. Also the thread is a little unusual so a normal long bolt isnt working as a straight swap.

Can I use a Gti version or is there another work around that people have used?

Tom Fenton

Item 2 is just a long M6 bolt, nothing at all special about it. Just tap out the threads in item 3 and fit a new high tensile bolt of the appropriate length, sorted.

TaffyTim

Oh, that easy. Shows how useful my local motorfactors are.

I take it you mean that item 3 will just need a clean by tapping or do you men to bore it out to accept the M6 bolt?

TaffyTim

ok, so ive ordered a 80mm m6 bolt and the thing is too thin and also the thread doesnt tie in:

DSC00713.jpg

To ask a simple question. If i find a m6 bolt thats the right girth will it then alter the thread of that bolt?

I only ask as comparing the 2 bolts the original seems to have a different angle on the thread and a different spacing of the thread.

Ryan

The bolt should be M8 bolt not M6.

TaffyTim

The bolt should be M8 bolt not M6.

Thanks Ryan,

Id given it to a mates mate who works at a fixings place and he said it was a left handed thread!!

Hes taken ages so ive pulled out the bits and realised that hes talking rubbish.

Ive ordered and recieved some m8s. These wouldnt fit at first so ive just tapped out part no 3 and away we go its a working unit again.

Now Ive just gotta get it back on the car this afternoon.

Baz

You can actually utilise an 8v setup on an Mi, to answer your original question, but it's not ideal and o be frank a bit of a bodge.

TaffyTim

You can actually utilise an 8v setup on an Mi, to answer your original question, but it's not ideal and o be frank a bit of a bodge.

Luckily you didnt say that at the start otherwise I would have bodged it on :lol:

Anyway the gsf alternator is working well as i dont even get a hint of a dashboard warning even with headlights on and heater blower on full blast.

Thanks to all that have helped so far.

. . . . now back to the starting issues . . . .