• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tony perks

Corsa Power Steering On 205

tony perks

Well folks after many months of procrastinating measuring and well.........just looking at the job I have finally built my 205/Corsa Hybrid Electric power Steering Column.post-12157-0-31658000-1305129800_thumb.jpg

This was based on the rake adjustable model, so I had to part the bendy bits from the motor assy. Then I ihad to Mill/ Turn an adapter with a half round half square end to fit into the end to this I fitted the end of the 205 column with the steering wheel splines. To finish I made and tigged up an outer that the switch gear would mount to in the original positions.

And the best Bit the lower U/J staked joints have the same size Yokes so a Corsa top half mated perfectly to the 205 Bottom so no Bodged welded up critical bits.post-12157-0-90443200-1305130119_thumb.jpg

And the new against the original part for comparison.

Edited by tony perks

Liquid_106

Is this from a Corsa B or C & how are you going to deal with the speed sensitivity / steering weight? Nice conversion, like the idea of VX EPAS rather than the usual hydraulic / 106 conversion.

tony perks

Is this from a Corsa B or C & how are you going to deal with the speed sensitivity / steering weight? Nice conversion, like the idea of VX EPAS rather than the usual hydraulic / 106 conversion.

For the speed sensor i have a little module which you can adjust to change the weight of the steering, I think it was from a corsa b, the one every body seems to use.

Oh and the u/j:

post-12157-0-97339800-1305144890_thumb.jpg

Edited by tony perks

Rippthrough

Any reason why you didn't just use the 106/saxo EPAS setup?

Liquid_106

For the speed sensor i have a little module which you can adjust to change the weight of the steering, I think it was from a corsa b, the one every body seems to use.

Oh and the u/j:

post-12157-0-97339800-1305144890_thumb.jpg

Rather than an eBay controller, could you not wire it up for controlled assistance - i.e. loads of assistance at low speeds and very little at high speeds. I think the controller just sets lots or no assistance regardless of speed......which could be interesting!

Think you need to supply a feed from rev counter and one from a transducer?!?

To get the system working you need 5 wires, Ground, positive and switched positive takes care of 3 of them. The other two wires needed for controlled assistance is revs signal (green wire to your revometer), and speed signal at a rate of about 30 pulses per wheel revolution (use a AK -15 IMP transducer, wired to the Blu/red wire). Alternatively there are controllers out there for around ?50 but you won't get varied assistance with speed.

Liquid_106

Any reason why you didn't just use the 106/saxo EPAS setup?

No bulky hydro-electric pump to find a place for?

shalmaneser

I'm a bit confused by this conversion - fair enough, no hydraulic pump, so there's a weight saving there, and some more space under the bonnet, but every EPAS steering car i've ever driven - and this seems to be confirmed by reviews - has had crappy steering feel. And the whole point (fine, one of them) of a 205 is the awesome steering feel!

If it's a track car, suck it up and go no PAS. If it's a road car what difference is a couple more lbs going to make?

tony perks

I'm a bit confused by this conversion - fair enough, no hydraulic pump, so there's a weight saving there, and some more space under the bonnet, but every EPAS steering car i've ever driven - and this seems to be confirmed by reviews - has had crappy steering feel. And the whole point (fine, one of them) of a 205 is the awesome steering feel!

If it's a track car, suck it up and go no PAS. If it's a road car what difference is a couple more lbs going to make?

Its going on My Rally car, which has a heavy castor angle,and a Tight Diff with and softish moulded slicks( and I'm getting old and flabby). As most of the places i seem to rally are old rutted WW2 airfields the extra assistance will be welcomed, one of the venues I go to has something like 150-200 junctions per stage of 11 miles now thats a lot of turning throughout the day!, and most of them 90degs, as for the feel I have driven my mates rally mini with it fitted and a super 1600 saxo and the steering is great very little effort required with just enough feel and weight.

And the main advantage no more belts pipes and bottles to find somewhere to fit, as for the Saxo pump it draws an awfull amount of current something like 40amps isnt it?

The controller I have bough doesnt give a fixed assistance but there is a variable resister so the weight can be adjusted to suit.

Edited by tony perks

welshpug

I think the main reason most epas systems give crap feel is the amount of assistance given, plus the cars thyre fitted to arent really anything like a 205 in terms of steering feel, i.e skinny tyres and masses of turns lock to lock, would imagine it'd be quite different on a 205 to your usual shopping car!!

also means a generic manual quickrack kit can be used, there are none that are PAS afaik, bar the zx/xsara o.e conversions of course.

I'm sure something could be rigged up with the electronic speed sensor from the early 306's etc to give a speed varied assistance.

Rippthrough

And the main advantage no more belts pipes and bottles to find somewhere to fit, as for the Saxo pump it draws an awfull amount of current something like 40amps isnt it?

Only at full load/lock, usually draws much less than that.

stu8v

Its a tried and tested conversion in many competition cars, little risk of ruining a good handling car.

shalmaneser

Its going on My Rally car, which has a heavy castor angle,and a Tight Diff with and softish moulded slicks( and I'm getting old and flabby). As most of the places i seem to rally are old rutted WW2 airfields the extra assistance will be welcomed, one of the venues I go to has something like 150-200 junctions per stage of 11 miles now thats a lot of turning throughout the day!, and most of them 90degs, as for the feel I have driven my mates rally mini with it fitted and a super 1600 saxo and the steering is great very little effort required with just enough feel and weight.

The controller I have bough doesnt give a fixed assistance but there is a variable resister so the weight can be adjusted to suit.

Fair enough, have always wondered about it!

Rippthrough

Its a tried and tested conversion in many competition cars, little risk of ruining a good handling car.

I have, however, seen a couple of burnt out ones on safari cars...

matt.f

Good thread this as I am thinking about power steering for my road rally 205, with Tran-x diff the steering is too heavy.

My civic type r has eps and I can't see what the fuss is about regarding steering feel.205's are renown for the steering feel which is fine if it's only a road car but I'd personally rather have light steering on a competition car.

Took my brothers Proton road rally car out the other day and it's so much easier,can use one hand!

PaulJLLD

Il looking in doing the same to my road rally car before my next outting,

rallyeash

you rally boys need to man up!

:lol:

matt.f

Il looking in doing the same to my road rally car before my next outting,

Theres a good thread on Britishrally in technical section about this

tony perks

Theres a good thread on Britishrally in technical section about this

Yes some of it by me too!

matt.f

Yeah noticed that pics were the same.

£600 for drive in drive out for Roger Hicks to do it.

Got similar quote for someone local

dee205

Does that model Corsa column not suffer from the same eps failure that the earlier Merivas had where it would fail outright at unexpected intervals?

matt.f

Have you tested the car yet Tony with the conversion fitted?interested to know what it's like.

danny56712

Iv seen one which is done on octane.ie and he has it speed sensitive - but yes extreme light for parking - very very nice mod but quite a bit of work plus involves welding etc to the shell