• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Fuel Line Replacement

dave205

Just been outside staring glumly at the 205 sat on the drive and pondered over the ever growing list of jobs to be done!!

I'm after some advice regarding fuel lines, i removed the old one's, when i waxy-oiled the entire underside of the car, and have just inspected them, there pitted and covered in general surface rust, so not sure what to replace them with, copper, standard steel or stainless steel? ive replaced the hose's down from the top of the tank to where they meet the solid pipes. Im also unsure what to do at the other end were they go up the bulkhead as ive read a few things on here, regarding them being to close to the turbo in the standard position, (if i ever get the engine in!), i was thinking of going onto stainless braided hoses, just before they go up on to the bulkhead, then run them tight againest the inside of the inner wing, to meet my fuel filter, which will b in place of the jack.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

Cheers

dave

Ryan

I did mine a couple of years ago with 5/16 copper pipe. Dead easy to bend and will last longer than steel.

smithy

another vote for copper pipe,just go down b&q and get some 8mm microbore

dave205

another vote for copper pipe,just go down b&q and get some 8mm microbore

I'm happy to use copper, as its easy to work with, anybody know the life span of it? Consudering it'lll suffer from road grime/dirt all of its life.

smithy

Not sure you could really put time frame on it but I say it will out live the 205

jeremy

Do not buy Peugeot replacement fuel pipe as you will need a pipe bender, as otherwise it will kink, hence why I never used them. Instead I removed two from another car. With regards to copper it should last more than a reasonable time as this is what is used for the break lines, and is so much easier to bend into shape without kinking.

Ryan

I'm happy to use copper, as its easy to work with, anybody know the life span of it? Consudering it'lll suffer from road grime/dirt all of its life.

Copper will last far longer than the original steel pipes, so 20 years at least, probably longer.

dave205

Copper it is then! Just need to decide where to end them and go onto stainless braided, or i might bend them up the inner, not sure yet though.

StuF215

I never had a problem bending the new pug pipe to be honest guys not a single kink for me and no benders. Just dont rush it. Copper is far easier to work with though your right

Leet205

anyone know what length 8mm microbore i will need to do both fuel lines on a gti?

Ryan

The originals are about 1cm short of 2m. So 4m for the pair, but I'd get 5m so you don't have to worry about cutting them so precisely.

Leet205

Cheers Ryan :)

Alan_M

Keep the originals as a template.

Don't do what i did, and remove/dispose of the pipes before fitting the copper. I had to use the clips to figure out the bends etc....nightmare!

I've a tool that bends MICC, which also accomodates 8mm pipe as well as brakelines. Not expensive, or blag one off a sparky ;)

Leet205

Keep the originals as a template.

Don't do what i did, and remove/dispose of the pipes before fitting the copper. I had to use the clips to figure out the bends etc....nightmare!

I've a tool that bends MICC, which also accomodates 8mm pipe as well as brakelines. Not expensive, or blag one off a sparky ;)

Good advice alan, unfortunatly tho mine has had some rubber pipe put in place of the rotted out original and tie wrapped on! hopefully i will be able to take a decent enough template from the 2 of them

here is what i plan to use to shape the pipe - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-1-MINI-TUBE-BENDER-PLUMBING-6-8-10MM-COPPER-PIPE-/270710313552?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item3f07979250

should be decent enough

Alan_M

Might be worth replacing the clips too, as they usually break on removal of pipe. Not expensive from Pug.....

Good advice alan, unfortunatly tho mine has had some rubber pipe put in place of the rotted out original and tie wrapped on! hopefully i will be able to take a decent enough template from the 2 of them

here is what i plan to use to shape the pipe - http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3f07979250

should be decent enough

That's like mine, except a darn sight cheaper! Probably because mine has 'Irwin' stamped on the side <_<

Edited by Alan_M

Ryan

I tried using one of those bending tools and it worked, but after a couple of bends I gave up and did it by hand as it was much easier.

SurGie

Is the return pipe the same as the feed ?

Its just i have a 8mm feed copper fitted when it had carbs and return is missing.

Ryan

Feed and return are both 8mm.

dave205

anyone know what length 8mm microbore i will need to do both fuel lines on a gti?

I did measure mine up, but have since forgotten :/, i will hopefully be doing them over the weekend, i,ll re-measure them and let u know.

welshpug

1579 26

FUEL FEED PIPE

6,5X8 - 3970 CL

pug_ham
Do not buy Peugeot replacement fuel pipe as you will need a pipe bender, as otherwise it will kink, hence why I never used them.

I disagree, I've used the oe pug replacement pipes on my car & they are simple to bend to shape & difficult to kink if you follow the original lines carefully enough, there aren't any sharp bends to cause a kink imo.

The pipe set from pug has enough spare pipe on each one so you don't need to worry about cutting it short, just don't cut it until its all in place for the final fit.

Graham.