• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CharlieBoy

I.m Axles? Any Good? Damper Choices

CharlieBoy

I admit this is on a 106 GTi, but it seems different people have varying opinions on them (most owners saying to go lower it seems....)

Anyway, have any of you folk had your axles refurbished by I.M axles? I had an MOT advisory for slight play in the rear arm, so figured I should sort it sooner than later. I could get another beam (although I think this car is already on it's second beam...), so refurbishment is looking like an option.

If you have used them, were their axles any good? In the Midlands who else can you recommend to change the bearings? Changing the axle myself should not be an issue.

Furthermore I may change the dampers all round but I plan to keep the car stock height. On 205/306s I remember hearing that the Pug K6 dampers were the best for the rear. On the 106 it seems I can either use Bilstein B4/6s or Gaz.

My question to you is that how much worse are the B4 dampers over genuine items, and that on standard car is it really worth the extra to go for B6s?

Edited by CharlieBoy

Baz

I'd rather go with a tried and tested forum member, such as Anthony. :)

Anthony

I'd rather go with a tried and tested forum member, such as Anthony. :)

Thanks for the plug, but I don't really have anything to do with 106/Saxo rear beams, only 205/306/309 items.

Paul_13

There's a company called R mountjoy engineering/ SSP engineering(?) who rebuild beams, he did my 309 beams years ago and while I was there I watched a saxo beam being rebuilt.

I know it's far:

Here's the link

Mikey S

Coventry Transmissions (024 7663 5054) have been doing them for years. I've had two off them now for 206's and i cant fault the service.

Mike

welshpug

I believe a fair few on the 106+saxo forums have used them without issue, dont look badly priced given that there's bits that need fabricating and its a much more complex affair than a 205/309/306 beam.

Baz

Thanks for the plug, but I don't really have anything to do with 106/Saxo rear beams, only 205/306/309 items.

Ahh yes, clearly a reading fail there! :blush:

rallysteve

A friend of mine had his 106 gti beam done by I.M axles seems to have been a decent job and reasonable price :)

Steve

SurGie

Coventry Transmissions (024 7663 5054) have been doing them for years. I've had two off them now for 206's and i cant fault the service.

Mike

I had my old 309 beam sorted well, although the red grease they used isn't really made for the purpose of high tension force, http://www.rocol.com.../dry-moly-spray this is though, its also a water displacer. I use it for oilite bearings though.

A friend of mine had his 106 gti beam done by I.M axles seems to have been a decent job and reasonable price smile.gif

Steve

I've had a few beams sorted by them now and found their workmanship very good at a good price too.

BlueBolt

I bought a recon unit from them when I was informed by Miles that mine had siezed on one side. Their customer services are good!! He had a problem with his courier not departing the item from the sortation hub so went and collected it and delivered it to Miles personally.

Miles will be able to tell you just how good the item is on inspection, but I have to say the car handles better now than it did before!!

They were the cheaper option that I found.....

• Like 1