• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Difference Between 2 And 3 Pin Speedo Drive

dave205

I have sourced a 106xsi speedo drive for my turbo conversion, but its 3 pin and the 406 one was 2 pin, how do i go about connecting it up, so it'll work?

ade 4wd

The 406 uses a 2 pin VSS which connects to an interface box which is behind the glovebox. Its much easier to use a 3 pin VSS, connections are, pin 1 connect to a switched 12V supply, pin 2 connect to earth and pin 3 is the speed output and connects to the ECU.

dave205

The 406 uses a 2 pin VSS which connects to an interface box which is behind the glovebox. Its much easier to use a 3 pin VSS, connections are, pin 1 connect to a switched 12V supply, pin 2 connect to earth and pin 3 is the speed output and connects to the ECU.

What are the two cables on the original VSS connected two? i'll only have to add one cable into the loom as i have a 3 pin vss fitted.

also which way to you read the pin numbers?

welshpug

look at the plug, its numbered usually :)

2 wires are connected to the thingy he mentioned in the post you quoted....

dave205

yeah i know there connnected to that box, but are they earth's, lives's signal cables?? they could be any of them.

ade 4wd

Both wires on the original 406 VSS connect to the control box, neither are power or earth.

dave205

Both wires on the original 406 VSS connect to the control box, neither are power or earth.

Oh right i didnt know, so why do people say about connecting them to the ecu?

rallysteve

Think you will find the two pin one is an inductive sensor and the 3pin a digital signal. They are not interchangable unless you use the interface box mentioned or make your own

steve

dave205

Think you will find the two pin one is an inductive sensor and the 3pin a digital signal. They are not interchangable unless you use the interface box mentioned or make your own

steve

So is ther actually anway off getting the vss to work or, do people who have done turbo conversions just accept they cant run one?

welshpug

no, they use the 3 pin one and add the power wire required.

dave205

no, they use the 3 pin one and add the power wire required.

Rallysteve's post ses there different sensor types though?

Daviewonder

All you need to do is get the piece of loom for the 3 pin sensor and connect it up like this-

pin 1 goes to switched live, pin 2 goes to earth, pin 3 goes to pin 9 on ecu.

VSS.jpg

Edited by Daviewonder

SPGTi

I have used the 3 pin vss to run a Terrotrip tripmeter, which required a digital signal (just like you need). Just wire it up as per the diagram. Works perfect

Steve

dave205

All you need to do is get the piece of loom for the 3 pin sensor and connect it up like this-

pin 1 goes to switched live, pin 2 goes to earth, pin 3 goes to pin 9 on ecu.

VSS.jpg

Cheers for the diagram and advice, just what i need, i'll try and get it done this week if i have time,

dave205

How do i identify the pins on the ecu? there not marked on the plug or the ecu itself.

Ive traced the cables out and they run to the interface board in the dash of the car as suggested earlier in this thread. So im going to pull them out and pull the new plug and cables in up to the ecu plug and splice them in to the write pins as nessasry, but cant do that with out knowing the pin numbers!! GRRRR!! :angry:

welshpug

they are marked actually, sometimes you may have to partially dismantle the plug to see them :)

dave205

they are marked actually, sometimes you may have to partially dismantle the plug to see them :)

How easy are they to strip apart? As ive never done it before

Daviewonder

You might not have to take it apart. Have a look very very very closely at the ecu and plug faces, you will see several numbers printed next to certain pins, you can work out the rest of the numbers from there.

dave205

You might not have to take it apart. Have a look very very very closely at the ecu and plug faces, you will see several numbers printed next to certain pins, you can work out the rest of the numbers from there.

I pressume there extremely small then?! :/

Daviewonder

I pressume there extremely small then?! :/

You could say that! :lol:

dave205

Ive looked on the ecu and plug again, but still cant see them! Wherebouts are they stamped?

dave205

I have ast last found the numbers on the ecu the problem is i,ve had a look in my haynes manual and pin 8 is shown to be connected to the knock sensor? I then tryed testing that is but have come to the conclusion it isnt as the meter still reads an open circuit? Im now totally confused and annoyed as this seems like it should be a simple job?!

Daviewonder

Pin 8 doesnt go to the knock sensor, pins 30, 11, 14 go to the knock sensor.

You're supposed to be looking for pin 9 to wire up the vss anyway.

dave205

yeah i know sorry i read it wrong. The haynes manual i have shows pin 9 goes to 2 places the vehicle speed sensor and speed sensor, if this makes sense? The VSS plug on the diagram is a 3 pin one but the one on there is 2 pin, and it doesnt go to the ecu at all. So how can i find were the cable thats connected to pin 9 is? it just doesnt make sense.

Daviewonder

:wacko::lol:

Lets start again. Do you have the 3 pin connector and piece of loom to go with the 3 pin VSS?

Sign in to follow this