• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TheHawk

Simple But Effective Performance Upgrades 1.4

TheHawk

Hello there i have a 1.4 peugeot 205 GR which i have been working on as a project. The engine is a 1.4 with a single carb, i was wondering what upgrades and/or tuning i could do on the engine to give it abit more power. My reasoning behind this is that im only 18 and cant afford to insure a car with a larger engine :angry: . Another reason i want to possibly do some performance upgrades is constant p*ss taking from my mates because I brought the car from an older lady they seem to think its a bit of granny mobile :o so it would be nice to show them up a little bit.

I know its the stereotypical young person thing to do but im not just looking for the standard barry boy bolt on part which will give "so much more power" i am open to all possibilities and i just want to make the most out of the car i have!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dale

Tom Fenton

The 1360 isn't a bad engine as it is, so focus on making it handle with suspension and brakes and then your mates in their new cars won't be able to keep up.

Jrod

Swap the cam and carb for one from a XS - that will give you an extra 10 bhp.

Anthony

I've got a spare XS camshaft here surplus to requirements if you need one.

Tandoh

And try to find an xs gearbox, then your laughing :)

TheHawk

Hi guys thanks for the response i have looked into the xs parts and it does seem like a good option to go down would the carb and cam be a direct swap? Someone mentioned in conversation about putting a single direct fitment weber carb on but i don't know how to go about doing that or if it is even possible :blink: . Also Anthony id like to take you up on your offer of the cam how much would you like for it posted to West Sussex?

welshpug

tbh I'd just look to buy a complegte XS, instant upgrade and you wont have the trouble of insuring a modified car, a point well worth considering at your age.

TheHawk

Do you mean a complete XS engine or buy an XS car because i don't think its feasible to buy are new car at the moment and im not sure if i would declare the XS parts as they are OEM and not really noticeable but maybe im wrong, but this being said i would declare other after market parts.

Liquid_106

not sure if i would declare the XS parts as they are OEM and not really noticeable but maybe im wrong

d*ck! That is all.

Edit. In retrospect, a little harsh as you've not said you'd defo do it. Suggestion:

don't

Edited by Liquid_106

TheHawk

d*ck! That is all.

Edit. In retrospect, a little harsh as you've not said you'd defo do it. Suggestion:

don't

Haters gonna Hate

Liquid_106

Rozzers gonna arrest - your point is?

Edited by Liquid_106

ORB

Crash into another car, insurance deemed nul and void. Third party covered by compo paid via own insurance. Our premiums go up. You get lifeted and your nuts waxed.

allye

Back on topic.

As it doesn't sound like you want to change the engine then carb, head and exhaust. Get hold of a solex twin stage carb and manifold or weber dgav, xs heads are cheap enough-you Can also get lumpy cams for them, possibly port/polish, then a 4-2-1 but getting hold of one for a tu3 is very hard! Lots of debate whether a straight through centre section is better, xs came with straight through, rallye had 2 silencers....!?! Swordfish and tdr -(I think) should be along shortly to help.

If you go further then use a Ali block xs engine with twin webers or bike carbs!!

Good luck!

TheHawk

I understand where your coming from but im not convinced the 'extra 10bhp' would change the outcome of a crash enough to give the insurance company due concern to rip apart my engine and check for performance upgrades. And I would state to the insurance company that a carb from another pug is on as the old one wasnt running correctly. And like i said, any aftermarket parts would be declared.

TheHawk

Back on topic.

As it doesn't sound like you want to change the engine then carb, head and exhaust. Get hold of a solex twin stage carb and manifold or weber dgav, xs heads are cheap enough-you Can also get lumpy cams for them, possibly port/polish, then a 4-2-1 but getting hold of one for a tu3 is very hard! Lots of debate whether a straight through centre section is better, xs came with straight through, rallye had 2 silencers....!?! Swordfish and tdr -(I think) should be along shortly to help.

If you go further then use a Ali block xs engine with twin webers or bike carbs!!

Good luck!

Hey there i just saw your post thank you for the advice i am going to go for the carb, cam and straight through centre section

and also does the head on the XS have bigger valves and inlet/outlet ports or do i only need the cam?

Edited by TheHawk

trogboy

Hey there i just saw your post thank you for the advice i am going to go for the carb, cam and straight through centre section

and also does the head on the XS have bigger valves and inlet/outlet ports or do i only need the cam?

I think the head off the TU3S engine may be unique as it has a big 3S cast on it and separate part number from the remaining TU3 heads. No reason that you can't use an XS cam in your head though.

As it happens I too have a few TU3S bits hanging around including a new old stock head and cam that have never been run. The head is complete bar the rockers which I used in my hybrid engine. I've also got a couple of carbs and inlet manifolds, a dizzy, low mileage alloy bottom end and a 4-2-1 manifold available if you need any of these.

TheHawk

I think the head off the TU3S engine may be unique as it has a big 3S cast on it and separate part number from the remaining TU3 heads. No reason that you can't use an XS cam in your head though.

As it happens I too have a few TU3S bits hanging around including a new old stock head and cam that have never been run. The head is complete bar the rockers which I used in my hybrid engine. I've also got a couple of carbs and inlet manifolds, a dizzy, low mileage alloy bottom end and a 4-2-1 manifold available if you need any of these.

Hi there thanks for the response this was very helpful i will send you a PM regarding the spares you have on offer! Also is the TU3s the engine code from an XS or is the one on the other TU engine cars?

trogboy

TU3S is the XS engine - also known as a K2A. Same engine found in the AX GT

Edited by trogboy

TheHawk

Thanks for the help i sent you a PM about the parts!

joe1joe

I have carb/inlet