• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim 892

Mi16 Or Gti6 Conversion

Tim 892

Hi all

I want to do an engine conversion on my 1.6 gti (xu5ja). Just not sure which conversion to go for Mi16 or gti6 :wacko:

I'm new to this and want to do the conversion myself so ease of conversion does come into it a touch, this is the reason why I'm leaning towards the Mi16 but some people I have spoke to don't like this engine due to the way the power is delivered. Again I think this is down to personal driving style and taste.

If anyone with some experience of these conversions could give me some feedback it would be very helpful!!! :D

Thanks people.

welshpug

much of a muchness in the amount of work required to fit one, both need wiring and exhaust manifold mods, there's coolant hoses available off the shelf for both.

more likely to find a healthy gti6 these days than an MI16, though you'll pay a bit more for a decent one.

gti6 engine management is far superior, as is its oil control.

iron block is a little heavier, but nothing major in the grand scheme of things

harryskid

Gti6 is the popular one at the moment. Which is better well i have a gti6 but have never driven an mi. They will all argue about which is best on here! :lol:

dcc

if you fit a gti6 you'll love the way the engine behaves, it is quite lazy through the revs though.

Mi16 feels frantic and eager to rev, mostly due to the twin butterfly body though, choice of 2, id have a healthy Mi :)

Anthony

There was a big "what engine do you prefer" thread a while back, started by Maxi IIRC

The Mi16 (XU9J4) conversion is a little easier, but to be honest, if you can do one then you can do the other - there's a little bit more wiring on the '6 (XU10J4RS) and a bit more work on the exhaust, plus a little potential faffing around with the pedal box etc, but that's about it. It's not like say a V6 conversion where there's lots of cutting and fabricating required.

Condition wise, most Mi16's out there will need atleast a partial rebuild these days, whereas you can still find '6 engines young enough to chuck in with little more than a full service and cambelt - there are quite a few tired '6 engines around though, so be careful.

Parts availability is generally better for the GTi-6 engines and the engine management generally in better condition. Some Mi16 bits are getting hard/expensive to source, and engines to buy are more scarce as well, although I wouldn't say difficult to obtain.

If you're interested in using the car competitively, the Mi16 is a much better bet as you'll typically be in a half-sensible class using one if you bend the truth a touch and claim the block is the same as an 8v - GTi-6 will usually put you in a class where you'll struggle to be competitive

Both engines have their weaknesses - Mi16's Achilles heel is its oil control in standard form, meaning that it's all too easy to starve the oil pump and spin the big-end bearing shells, destroying the crank, and as such needs careful consideration into overcoming that for trackday use. Engine management is often getting a bit ropey on them these days - notable the AFM - and the throttle bodies can wear leading to idle issues. GTi-6 engines need cambelt changes ever 20k miles or so (ignore the Peugeot intervals) to be on the safe side, as they do snap belts regularly, which exacerbates other issues like dropping valves and piston failure. The blocks can suffer quite bad bore wear on neglected examples too.

In terms of driving, in my opinion the Mi16 is the better suited engine to a 205 - it just begs to be thrashed and thrives on revs in an old school 16v sort of way, whereas the GTi-6 with feels almost a touch fat and lazy by comparison, even though in the real world it's quicker pretty much everywhere in the rev range. Think of it as a 1.6 vs 1.9 8v - the 1.6 loves to rev in a way the 1.9 doesn't, but the 1.9 offers more flexibility and grunt.

Also, there's the halfway house option of an S16 (XU10J4) engine to consider

chipstick

As mentioned, the GTi6 engine is available more easily with usually more history and newer/lower mileage.

In fact I have a 2001 64,500 mile GTi6 engine for sale, which is ripe for going into a 205.

boldy205

Ah, this age old question!

As said above, id fitted/owed both (allbeit on carbs, so poss different kind of power delivery) Both sameish to fit.

The 'better' in my eyes is the Gti6, as it has much less issues of oil starvation, more available, and from the two i had, a bit more torquey i think.

The only thing the Mi has is that its of the correct period, the 'proper' engine for the converstion if you will! (i think the Mi is a better looking engine too!)

edbar

What are the s16's like? All the looks of an Mi but with better bottom end and an extra 100cc. Which is the most tuneable? Gti6 or s16?

harryskid

Gti6s can be very expensive to tune!

omega

Hi all

I want to do an engine conversion on my 1.6 gti (xu5ja). Just not sure which conversion to go for Mi16 or gti6 :wacko:

I'm new to this and want to do the conversion myself so ease of conversion does come into it a touch, this is the reason why I'm leaning towards the Mi16 but some people I have spoke to don't like this engine due to the way the power is delivered. Again I think this is down to personal driving style and taste.

If anyone with some experience of these conversions could give me some feedback it would be very helpful!!! :D

Thanks people.

depends what you are going to use the car for as the 406 turbo is also a option

welshpug

Everything is very expensive to tune!

;)

nickaliath

I have a cheap s-16 engine for sale.

Tim 892

is the s16 engine easier to tune than the gti6 engine or pretty similar? and thanks for all the feedback hasn't made the decision any easier though lol

Batfink

what about a 2.2 from a 406 instead :D

Tim 892

I have a cheap s-16 engine for sale.

Alright mate how much do u want for the engine and can you give me some details on it miles services etc please.

Baz

Mi eerytime, bags more character, more reliable, lighter, simpler, period etc...

Sign in to follow this